“Confused how it is ranked so highly on TripAdvisor”
Review of Hedley House

Hedley House
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 29 June 2011

No major problems, but I can't see any reason that this would be the 5th best hotel in York. The plus points were friendly staff, free parking, an easy walk to the city centre and a good breakfast.
The negative points were no air conditioning (room was very hot at night), intermitent hot water, and generally everything looks a bit worn.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hedley House

Reviewed 28 June 2011

My wife and I, joined by my daughter and her husband, enjoyed every aspect of this well located and very well run hotel. The owners are very keen to make you feel like a guest, not just a customer. Large clean rooms, a modern bath and a very good breakfast are a treat to find. Couple that with a less than 10 minute walk to the Minster and this is an excellent place to stay in York.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KJD37
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I had a very nice time with my family and my friends here. Everybody is very polite. We organized a dinner for 40 people and all my friends enjoyed the food and the service.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Luigi_il_bergamasco
Reviewed 17 June 2011

excellent location.
staff very helpful and kind
good breakfast

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank FrancescoCrocetto
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I stayed here with a group of work colleagues from all over the country to attend a conference in York.

From the minute I arrived at the hotel everything was great - 2 lovely ladies on reception and straight away I was offered a map of York and shown the easiest route to get to the town centre which was a mere 5 minute walk away.

I was then SHOWN to my room which is a first as anywhere I have stayed I have just been pointed in the right direction but I was taken straight to the room and shown everything and reminded that should I need any more tea, coffee etc just to call reception and this would be dealt with and it was no trouble at all for them to get me fresh milk for tea.

The room was beautiful with one of the biggest bathrooms I have ever seen in a hotel!! Everything was spotless and there was a great guest information book with everything you would ever need to know about the hotel and surrounding area and it was very informal with quite a few quips in it which made me laugh!!!

We were booked for dinner at 7.30pm and there were approx 30 in our group and on looking in the other areas there were quite a few other guests eating at the same time so my hats off to the chef for the meals he produced out of that tiny kitchen!!!

The Food was excellent and I tried pigeon for the first time and have to say that it was cooked to perfection and i figured the hotel was far enough away from Trafalgar Square for them to have captured it themselves!!!!! :) I then had the king prawn risotto and they certainly do not skimp on their prawns like so many places and again the risotto was cooked to perfection as were the prawns.

I made the decision at dinner to have poached eggs for my breakfast as one of my colleagues had asparagus and poached eggs for a starter and the eggs looked so good I was nearly swapping with him!!!

And I can tell you that I wasn't disappointed by my choice at breakfast as there was an abundance of variety and nothing was too much trouble for them.

I would heartily recommend this hotel as a perfect base to explore York and also as a perfect place to have a meal.

This was the first time I had been in York but will definately return in the very near future with my own family and I won't be looking for anywhere else to stay!!

Thank you for such an enjoyable and relaxing stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Megron
gregHotel, Owner at Hedley House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Thank you for posting such a great review.

I am thrilled to have such a nice review written about Hedley House Hotel.

Today I received notification that the English Tourism council have recognized our efforts and awarded us a 3 star rating for Hedley House Hotel and a 4 star rating for Knowle House apartments.

Now we have to be even better!!!!

Thanks again

Greg Harrand

Reviewed 14 June 2011

A lovely, clean, well run, b&b. No breakfast included though. But when we did have the breakfast it was very nice. Parking available to the rear of the building. An ideal base.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I brought a school group to stay for 4 nights in May 2011. We had a mixed group of S2 (12-13 year olds), and it was an excellent base from which to explore the city - we could walk almost everywhere! The staff were fantastic - very helpful with the myraid of strange dietary requests from the students; the food was incredible and the service great! The rooms were great, very comfortable and easliy accessed for all of our students. All of the staff on the trip said they would definitely be back - without pupils! Just lovely!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
ThebossYork, Owner at Hedley House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Great to hear. See you next year

A poet in the making maybe......???!!!