“Top Location for York. Great value.”
Review of Hedley House

Hedley House
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I was delighted with the convenience to the city. York requires a lot of walking as cabs are not present in the inner city due to it being mostly a pedestrian area. However, from Hedley House its just a short walk across the Museum gardens and you are in town.
Although the decor of my room was basic, it was very spacious and had great proportions...huge-sized room, high ceiling, enormous bed, giant wardrobe, big flat-screen tv and a large bathroom with a bath, which I love on holiday when I have time to soak. The bathroom had recently been updated but the room looked tired. The spacious size however plus the price compensated for the decor. The bedroom lighting was poor but maybe that was due to the size of the room.
It did not have the romantic boutique hotel touches...scatter cushions on the bed, quality linen, goodies in the minibar, chocolates on the pillow or french toiletries. Nor does it pretend to be this. Conversely, Hedley House does have a top location, great value for money and best of all the staff are all very friendly and helpful. I was there a week on my own and they were very attentive and helped make my stay very enjoyable. Another bonus was the restaurant facility which means you can get a decent meal if you want a night in. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 February 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights due to a birthday night out with friends arranged for the Saturday evening. Stayed with my partner in one of the basement rooms. It was very roomy, powerful shower, more than enough wardrobe space for 2 nights and a very comfy king bed. The only one small thing I noticed was a bit of dust in the room and mould on shower curtain in bath, but that didn't bother us too much. We had no problems with noise as hotel is situated in a very quiet area of York- 5 mins walk into centre. There was free parking too which really helped as many of the hotels that we looked at previous to this one did not.

The check-in/out was very easy and staff were friendly. Breakfast was lovely too and service was very good. Everyone is right who says the eggs are good! Next time an extra sausage ( as they were lovely) wouldn't go a miss but I bet if I would have asked they would have been happy to put an extra one on my plate!

All in all I would definately go back here and would recommend to others who needed a base in York for the weekend. It is classed as a 2 star hotel (due to having no lift) but would definately grade a 4 star. Keep up the good work Hedley House!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night nothing was too much trouble for the staff they were very friendly and helpful the rooms were lovely and clean and most of all the beds were comfortable. The food was good too could not fault this hotel and in walking distance to all the attractions what more could anyone ask for. THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Stayed at Hedley House for a quick weekend away with three young kids (2-7 yrs). We booked less than a week beforehand being unable to find accommodation anywhere else (no reflection on HH, it just happened to be the last place we tried). Staff were helpful from the very start. We arrived early and were able to leave our luggage in reception before leaving for the Railway Museum just across the river.

The hotel is much handier for both the Station area and the City Centre attractions than you would think from its position on the map. Even for the younger children it was not too long a walk to Bootham Bar and the Minster.

Accommodation was a very spacious 4 bed apartment with its own separate kitchen and shower room. An extra (full sized) single mattress and bedding was provided for the 3rd little one and this did nothing to detract from the size of the room. There was a leather sofa and desk with direct dial phone. A large, new, LCD TV was installed on the wall, but the aerial rewiring was not quite complete so we had to live without CBeebies for a couple of days.

Breakfast was nicely done - I fully endorse previous comment regarding poached eggs - with plenty of choice for everyone. We did not have the opportunity to sample the evening menu but we will be back at some point - maybe just the two of us - and will certainly do so then.

Yes, the apartment was at basement level but was light enough in the main room due to large bay window (which had a fully working sash).

All in all a very pleasant, accommodating place to stay, within easy walking distance of all major attractions.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2011

From the moment we arrived we found the service at Hedley House very friendly and helpful. Our room was in an annexe and on the top floor, but this meant that it was quiet, and we could lie in bed and look up at the moon! The room was very clean and spacious.
We had our evening meal at the hotel both nights, and the food was delicious, freshly cooked, and served in a very comfortable and intimate dining room.
On our final morning we needed to get away early and the chef provided an early breakfast option for us so we could eat and leave before the normal breakfast serving began.
A very comfortable and friendly hotel, close to the city centre (5 minutes walking). We couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stayed at the Hedley House for a long weekend back in October 2010. We booked the hotel based on other reviews here on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. I was concerned regarding a previous reviewer stating that they had stayed in a rather dingy basement room so when booking over the internet I stated that I didn;t want a basement room. Within half an hour I had a phone call from Lou Harrand who allayed any fears I might have about this and I subsequently booked. We DID stay in a basement room, it was extremely large with tons of closet space, a really nice looking sleigh bed and a settee. However, the en-suite had been built into what was once the entrance hall to the downstairs unit and although it was spotless we found it to be rather claustrophobic with very little natural light and low ceiling. However, the shower was brilliant. Sadly, although the bed looked very good it was rather lumpy and creaked alarmingly each time one of us turned over. One of our biggest bug bears was with the heating, it was on a communal timer and although the weather wasn't freezing at the time, we came back to get changed at about 5.00pm and the room was distinctly chilly. Having said that we spoke to the Manager (a lovely lady who's name I sadly have forgotten) who came down and changed the timer on the boiler for us. The heating then went off again at about 10 and as soon as it did the room got very chilly again.

The breakfast was excellent with full English cooked to order, hot toast (which is a rarity in many hotels), choices of cereals and fruit. We ate in the hotel one night and the food was absolutely superb, we had the most tender lamb I've ever had, beautifully served and cooked to perfection. It was such a shame that we were the only people in the restaurant, which rather spoiled the ambience. Greg and Lou should really make more of their excellent chef, this meal would not have been out of place in a four-star hotel.

The location of the hotel was also excellent, a ten minute walk into the centre of York, with three different ways of getting there, one through the lovely park with squirrels.

The staff were all lovely, friendly and helpful, none more so than the lady mentioned before who I believe manages the hotel for Greg and Lou - she seemed to be everywhere at all times.

We would certainly stay at the Hedley House again if ever in the area but my personal preference would be for a room above ground level, mainly for the lighting levels.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
gregHotel, Owner at Hedley House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2011

Thank you for your review, we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the time to post a review. I will pass your compliments on to Lina - our manager and Martyn - our chef, they both help us to have a great team here at Hedley House. We hope to see you again the next time that you visit York. Regards, Lou Harrand

Reviewed 3 January 2011

We much enjoyed our stay - well-located, good food, clean and friendly efficient service

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple