“Disappointing”

Add it.
MASALA SPICE
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: new restaurant opened approximately one month ago. Tel. 01904 611000 69, Micklegate, York, North Yorkshire YO1 6LJ. Tel: 01904 611000 .
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Looks scruffy from outside thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt, ordered poppadoms my husband likes lime pickle,he nearly snapped his tooth of as there was something very sharp & brittle in the lime pickle. They said it was mango shell. My husband wanted beef they said they didn't have beef would lamb do my husband said fine, we waited about 15 minutes he started eating it only to find it was chicken they took it back, we waited another 15 minutes. The couple behind we're served coke 2 years out of date they were complaining as well. When the bill came my husband complained and said the least they could do was give us a round of drinks free for all the problems we encountered they refused, that's why I wanted to write this review just to let people know.

1  Thank Toddy5156

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Since the gas work trenches dug outside the front door the restaurant has been closed most of this year
I did eat there once or twice in 2012 but was not impressed.

1  Thank Dick L
Reviewed 21 February 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant on a Sunday night and it was very quiet, only 2 of us for most of the night. I have to say, though, that we didn't feel uncomfortable and the staff were very friendly. The owner came and chatted to us after our meal, which is unusual in many restaurants. The food was very good quality. Both starters very tasty. My main chicken dish had the most delicious sauce I have ever had in an indian restaurant, with lots of chicken breast meat. We loved the food and would definitely visit there again.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We pre booked our table which took a full week to do as they don't answer the phone or reply to emails. I ordered the tika masala which i wouldnt again as it had no taste. The lamb chop starter was lovely. Bit dim place with no atmosphere

Reviewed 2 February 2013

We are probably spoilt as we have a superb Indian near home, but this was distinctly average. Poppadoms were stale and we didnt finish them. No lime pickle in the spice tray. Starter was nice but not amazing. Jalfreizi was harsh and lacked depth of flavour. The main meal was edible but I wouldn't be rushing to try it again. Staff were nice and friendly but we spent almost 20minutes trying to attract someones eye to pay despite being one of only two couples in there. We were even considering just leaving without paying because no-one would come and take our money. We didnt, but we were getting desperate!