“Lovely little cafe” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
“Lovely little cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

A lovely little cafe with excellent staff, their lemon slice is to die for. Great to receive such personal service, will definitely be back!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank catb55

“Underwhelmed!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Having seen all the recommendations made our way on a dull Thursday afternoon. Half full inside, quite dim. We were not welcomed on arrival and found our own seat under a chimney breast. Some ten minutes later we were approached. Unfortunately we did not see or were offered the daily specials so we chose from the somewhat limited menu. I ordered a corned beef sandwich which I was told cam with salad leaves and chutney. The bread was amazing no doubt from Tina's bakery in Haxby wonderful crust. It was when I opened my sandwich to find one very thinly machine cut piece of corned beef, it would be fair to say the menu was thicker! Now at £4.20 I expect to see some substance to my sandwich! Cakes were well presented and delicious, but for me and my friend there was something missing. Whilst we were in the owner came out and was making conversation with other diners re suggestions and specials and perhaps that's what we missed out on. It was impersonal and nothing very special. Sorry but we won't be returning there are too many other gems out there offering better value for money and atmosphere.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank AngieB B
Manchester
“Good for lunch!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Arrived with two friends and were quickly seated. Food was fresh and tasty, and the hot chocolate afterwards was fantastic!!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Samuel D
York, United Kingdom
“Not really sure what all the fuss is about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Popped in today with the lovely Lisa after reading many effusive reviews on this site. But if I am honest, I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about. It's a nice enough little café with decent coffee but it's really nowhere special. Personally, I found the lunch menu very limited and somewhat uninspiring. Rather than being spoilt for choice, I struggled to find anything that caught my eye. I settled on pancakes in the end while my companion had a bowl of soup & a cheese scone. It was fine but no better than that. In my view, there are much better cafés in York. I recommend The Brew & Brownie, Spring Espresso or Belle's Bouffe - all of which have the same independent coffee shop vibe & quirkiness but offer a better array of edibles.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank eddymaya
York, United Kingdom
“Inviting, warm and tasty food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My boyfriend and I popped in here on Saturday lunchtime and found it to have a very friendly atmosphere. We both ordered Chorizo and bean stew, which was gorgeous! The menu options are tasty, varied but not too complicated. Great value for money! This cafe also seems to offer all kinds of get togethers from knitting clubs to creative arts events. Great idea. A lovely selection of cakes is on offer and the friendly staff make this somewhere we will go back to, time and time again.

• Visited April 2014