“Truly Marvellous”

Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
York, England, United Kingdom
“Truly Marvellous”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We have been regulars at this cafe for the last few years and popped in recently for a farewell visit. Having lived in York for ten years, it is rare to find such a special little cafe, run by the most loveliest of people. We are always spoilt for choice at Me and Mrs Fisher, the pea and mint soup is divine, the scrumptious mushrooms on toast are marvellous and we both love a bit of perfect pie! Thank you for all the cake you have supplied us with over our time visiting you, and although we'd recommend them all, we do particularly love your top notch carrot cake. We are not ashamed to say that it was the best Birthday cake we've had, and between the two of us we did indeed devour the entire creation!! We will miss this beautiful gem of a cafe but we will be back whenever we return north. This is definitely our number one place to visit in york and I would highly recommend Me and Mrs Fisher. We will truly miss the lovely ladies who run this fabulous cafe, you always brighten up our weekends! Thank you for everything, we will be back soon x

1 Thank RachaelYork

Arlington, Virginia
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I fall into the group of not knowing what all the fuss is about. The service was friendly, but the menu was limited and I didn't find the food to be terribly special.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank first_replay
York, United Kingdom
“A lovely regular haunt handily close to my workplace!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I pop in here quite often as it's on the same street as my office and I never fail to order a cheese scone, as they are marvellous and usually still warm and very fresh! The sandwiches are proper door stop efforts and the rest of the menu is good - not massively extensive, but manageable for a little shop (wo)manned by only two! The non-chain aspect is wonderful and, of course, is where York really shines, but I like this addition to the scene.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Clarabel_York
“Lovely little cafe”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

A lovely little cafe with excellent staff, their lemon slice is to die for. Great to receive such personal service, will definitely be back!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank catb55
“Underwhelmed!!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Having seen all the recommendations made our way on a dull Thursday afternoon. Half full inside, quite dim. We were not welcomed on arrival and found our own seat under a chimney breast. Some ten minutes later we were approached. Unfortunately we did not see or were offered the daily specials so we chose from the somewhat limited menu. I ordered a corned beef sandwich which I was told cam with salad leaves and chutney. The bread was amazing no doubt from Tina's bakery in Haxby wonderful crust. It was when I opened my sandwich to find one very thinly machine cut piece of corned beef, it would be fair to say the menu was thicker! Now at £4.20 I expect to see some substance to my sandwich! Cakes were well presented and delicious, but for me and my friend there was something missing. Whilst we were in the owner came out and was making conversation with other diners re suggestions and specials and perhaps that's what we missed out on. It was impersonal and nothing very special. Sorry but we won't be returning there are too many other gems out there offering better value for money and atmosphere.

• Visited May 2014