“Fawlty towers”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

What can I say. Food was ok, service was alright but the most comical part was the chef moaning about more people arriving at 8.30pm!!

Can't say we will be back.

1  Thank Phil W

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This restaurant was recommend by the concierge at our hotel (The Royal York) and we were not disappointed. We hadn't booked and we were very late arriving (getting on for 9.30pm) but they were happy to seat us. The two ladies serving that night were just lovely (one with blonde hair, one with short reddish hair) - both very friendly and chatty. My partner had the T-bone and it was HUGE - well worth the money, and I had the tuna steak. We treated ourselves to a bottle of pink fizz which was lovely and the ladies also provide a nice bottle of cold water. The food is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for, and the meat and fish was def worth it. All in all a great meal and I would definitely visit again. A nice touch in the ladies loo was the complimentary hairspray, hair mousse, spray deodorant, and Gaultier perfume!!! I smelt delightful and not a hair out of place! As per a previous comment - they need to check their phone, the hotel tried to call for us and it went to fax machine.

1  Thank Cheryl F
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We arrived in York to stay for the night and received a mini guide with this restaurant in. How appealing... fresh fish and steak our complete dining delight !!! We looked at the website and were enticed even more - near the river and a cosy looking dining room, we tried calling but the phone constantly went to fax machine so we decided as the weather was nice to take a walk to the restaurant as it was early to see if we could book. It was still closed so we decided to call again, the phone was eventually answered by a man and I asked if I could book a table where I was rudely asked who for I replied 2 adults 2 children to the response "We don't do children !!" How rude !! I asked if it was possible if we came early and the response was the same "We don't do children" and the phone was put down. But by the look of the reviews I think we had a lucky escape.

1  Thank Gormanh
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Poor food, poor service. When complained to the waitress about raw steak when asked for medium she asked the chef/owner and came back and told us that's the way it should be! Starter of scallops were grey, over cooked and not fresh. Wine was over £20 for a£3 bargain basement supermarket wine. Owner would not speak to us. We were ripped off. Should have known, the place was empty on the Saturday of York races. Obviously others had read Tripadvisor beforehand. Wish we had! 8 of us sat down and not one good meal or starter between us. Never again!!!

2  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We had wanted to go to this place for ages, so decided to go as a treat. The menu is very limited, but we found something we both wanted. The steaks were expensive (£21.95) and we had to pay extra for chips (£2.95 each). Also my partner wanted a side salad instead of veg and this cost £3.95. To be honest the salad leaves appeared to be from a pre-prepared packet and had a couple of cherry tomatoes on and that was it (he didn't even bother to touch it).

The steak was nice enough but fairly fatty and the chips were nice.

The member of staff had just started that day and was very nice.

Two set of other customers sat down (8 people in total), but walked out before ordering (presumably due to the prices).

Honestly we both work really hard for our money and we feel like we have just handed over at least £25 above the odds.

The website quoted better prices and range, but you get there and they have clearly marked up steak by £3. Overall we paid £64 for 2 steaks and chips (usually part of steak price), veg/salad (usually part of steak price) and 3 drinks (i.e. I had one coke and my partner had 2 bottle of Budweiser).

The food was ok, but honestly you can get better for half the price! Don't waste your money, you will be left disappointed and have empty pockets!