“Orange Wednesdays”
Review of Vue Cinema

Vue Cinema
Ranked #15 of 26 Fun & Games in York
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Orange Wednesdays have become a necessity to help cut down on the sheer expense of going to the cinema for two. This afternoon I went to see 'Captain Phillips' with my son. The tickets cost £7.50 for the two of us, and our drinks and maltesers just £4.00 but not at cinema prices. At the Vue cinema at Clifton Moor, York, Tesco's is just round the corner and the £4.00 that we spent quickly becomes £8.00 and more at the cinema. We went to the 1600 film at Screen 10. I was expecting to see just a handful of viewers at this time but was surprised to see the seating filling up quite quickly. If you want to avoid all the cinema advertising, the time to arrive is 1625, and even then there is a further five minutes before the main screening. What is really annoying in this cinema is the seating allocation on purchase of tickets. This leads to disorientation, as so many prospective film viewers tilt their heads to one side to identify the rows and seat numbers, trying hard to find their seats in the half light. Just before the main film starts it is amusing to see that there is a patch or even a squash of people, now all in the right seats but with so many seats in empty areas of the cinema that seem to scream unsold and look like a better option. Vue cinemas, can we please return to the 'first come first served' era of cinema. Then, there are the pay extra, luxury seats that just smack of elitism and like Range Rover Vogue's are for the 'money no object' brigade. They seem to have extra leg room and they are in the dead centre of the auditorium, but it is the look a like leather upholstery that puts me off ever wanting to sit there. After thirty minutes of advertisements and clips of forthcoming films I had eaten all of my maltesers and completely downed my drink, and then the film started. At last I was forced to ignore the two stains in the centre of the screen, lest it spoil my enjoyment of the film. Soon, the last remaining annoyance of the light spill form the exit light onto the bottom right corner of the screen gave way to an intensication of viewing as I suddenly became detached from my surroundings and was lost in the film. 'Captain Phillips' with Tom Hanks is an excellent film and is highly recommended.

1  Thank XLaurence

Reviewed 6 October 2013

My kid loved the movies. However, it was quite expensive for the popcorn. The food and drinks were triple the ticket price and the popcorn tasted soft not crunchy.
Will visit the cinema again with my own food and drinks.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Prefer Vue to other cinemas. The screens/rooms are generally clean, the staff are usually helpful and we enjoy going here.The only down side is the toilets smell unpleasant (is that a chemical smell perhaps?) and the food is very over priced(haven't they learnt that if you lower the prices more people will buy -hence profits increase??). More offers/concessions will draw people in

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Great movie disappointed with the popcorn the salty was not salty enough and the sweet was not sweet enough, when we asked if we could have extra salt the response was that the popcorn was bought in ready so this was not possible. Also when getting halfway down the tub you were left with sweeping ups from the floor... Massive disappointment.

1  Thank BeefFarmersDaughter
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We went to the cinema on Saturday night, traditionally a busy night yet the ticket office was unmanned. Tickets were being sold by two members of staff on the concessions stand - an obvious attempt at pushing their food and drink!! The queues were long so we opted to use the automated ticket machines. Two out of three ticket machines were out of order.
In the toilets there was utter mess. The locks were broken, no toilet roll in the cubicles. I had to use toilet roll off the floor. The sinks were old and dirty plus the soap dispensers had no soap.
Then to top it all off there was a hole in the centre of the movie screen which was a distraction throughout the film. After the film there were no staff present to mention any of my complaints to and it was only 22:05. Overall a very disappointing visit to the cinema which looks ready for a re-fit.
Vue Ci