“Excellent coffee stop ”

Harlequin Coffee and Tea House
Ranked #18 of 62 Coffee & Tea in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Recent winner of an all-GB coffee/espresso competition. Quiet, inexpensive, locally-popular -- great sandwiches, sweets, coffee
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Needed caffeine fix and studiously avoiding chain coffee shops led to us climbing the stairs to this unusual cafe. Very much not your trendy coffee shop, with an almost traditional cafe vibe, but man they do a nice coffee. Unexpectedly so, but well worth the few steps.

Did not branch out to food, but plates if salad coming out off kitchen looked interesting.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Be prepared to step back in time as you ascend the narrow stairs to the Harlequin cafe. This is the very antithesis of a modern, trendy coffee shop. Not in a cutesy 'olde worlde' Betty's tea shoppe sort of way. More of a 'this is the kind of place my granny would have gone to in the 1980s' sort of way. Plain, functional decor. Old school sandwiches such as cheese & pickle, tuna mayo and prawn. Baked potatoes sporting the same type of fillings. Uninspired salads. You get the picture. Not bad for what it is but not really my cup of tea (if you'll pardon the pun).

Unsurprisingly it was full of elderly, grey-haired types. The average age must have been in the 60s. The young and the beautiful of York flock to cooler cafes such as Brew & Brownie, Belles Bouffe and Spring Espresso. Which you prefer will depend on what you're after. Take your pick. I won't be back.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We found the harlequin quite by chance and decided to have a look. Not that busy when we went but a steady stream of customers. Unfortunately they had sold out of our first choice so had to choose alternatives. Extremely pleased with the food and my husband was also very pleased with his coffee. Most places cannot do a coffee that meets his standards. The staff were very pleasant and friendly. This will definitely be our regular when visiting York as the coffee shop we used to visit in the shambles has changed hands and been transformed more or less into a bar and not to our liking so very pleased to stumble across the Harlequin. Thank you for providing good food and service.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Visited on Saturday 24.05 for a quick bite of something to eat and drink. Had looked at a number of places and they were all packed and tiny and nothing appealled to us on the menu when I by chance spotted an elderly gentleman leaving the Harlequin, with a very satisified look upon his face, so in we went and boy we weren't dissapointed why do the elderly seem to know where the best places are. Hot drinks and meals were ordered and our daughter was very pleased with her hot chocolate as was my husband with his pot of tea. We had not long to wait when our food came ham sandwiches for hubby, tuna jacket for our daughter and coronation chicken jacket for my self what can I say but WOW it was delicious the jacketes were proper not ones done in a microwave and the salad that came with it was massive and very nice, oh and the Honey and Mustard dressing was gorgeous. The only downfall was we had no room for cake :(. We will definatley recommend our little find to our frineds and family visiting York in the future and maybe next time I get to try a piece of cake!!!!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place has its very own regulars, who more tend to be 50+. This means that a student may feel a bit out of place, but York has plenty of other places for students to offer. Therefore, I recommend this place for elderly couples, who tend to have great day-breaks around York.

It is perfect place for quick snack and an easy and traditional British lunch. Considering the enjoying faces in the cafe, I can only say that food seemed delicious. I took a latte and I do have to admit that awards for the best coffee are absolutely deserved. The coffee was very good by presenting a delicate after taste.

Service was very quick, attentive and incredibly polite. Something, you would expect from a place like that. The atmosphere is created for a lunch and definitively not working with your laptop. A newspaper with your breakfast is the maximum to take with.