“excellent”

Price range: US$3 - US$26
Cuisines: Thai, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Plonkers is a family run business which has been in the same hands for over 20 years, we serve quality homemade food everyday 10am-9pm, we have a wide selection of beers, wines and spirits and offer a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere which can in turn be lively and upbeat in the evening.Open everyday 10am -2am
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Came here for a meal with my daughters and friends for her hen night meal,we had pre booked our meal,I didn't think much at first from the outside,but once inside and went upstairs it was great.the staff were good and friendly,the food was gorgeous all 3 courses.The York opera house is just up the road,so this is handy if you want to eat before or after the show.

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Visited yesterday whilst staying in York. From the outside it doesn't appear anything special but it was decorated beautifully inside. The menu was very varied. I wasn't very hungry so I ordered cauliflower and cream cheese soup, not expecting anything too fancy as, normally, soup is soup. But this was amazing, really tasty and served with warm ciabatta bread. My mum got grilled salmon and that was cooked beautifully. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Good menu , easy to eat there, before going to the theatre .
My steak and Stilton salad was lovely.
My daughter chicken and bacon Caesar salad was vile. Most of the chicken was gristly bits. Told the young gent who served us, as he collected plates and left the gristle on the serviette, so it was easy for the management to see how little of the meat part of the meal was actually edible.
Service was slow, so despite complaining, we had to pay in full for a partially eaten meal as we needed to be leaving promptly for the start of the show. We were given no option to reduce the amount we paid with respect of the bits of the meal that were edible
It rather spoiled our evening out. Not even offered free drinks. It was just as if we hadn't complained at all.
Very disappointing and unlikely to ever return, despite its close proximity to the Grand Opera House. We had tried to catch the waiters eye as soon as the gristle mounted up but he was on his own and seemed to be struggling to serve and clear tables. So we just left the gristle for him to see. Had we sent back the meal, we would have had to wait another 30 minutes and would have missed the show. Which wasn't an option.

1  Thank Dickenslodge
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Food had taken over half an hour to reach us by then I wasn't hungry. Blonde lady which I presume was the manager, was walking around like lady mucking also had a face on her like a slapped bottom she should have been more professional to say she was a manager.

3  Thank Jonny3456
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We went to York for a day out on Sunday arriving around lunch time and happened to park on same street as Plonkers, we both had the same Pulled pork wrap with a side order of chips.
I can't praise the meal enough, the side salad on both were really fresh as was the filling (loads of pork in it). Normally I do not "go for the wrap or Panini type meal but wife does and this was the best ever wrap she had had as well. The chips were spot on as well so very well done Plonkers.

P.S. the service was great as well.