“Lovely Staff and Hotel is fab”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband booked us into this hotel as a surprise for my Birthday. We were nervous as we normally stop in another hotel when we come to York with our 5yr old and 18month old however there was no need.

The hotel was really well laid out and more or less had everything you needed. The rooms are spacious with clever use of space and storage. Free wifi is a massive selling point and the price of the rooms inc breakfast was amazing.

The rooms had everything you needed inc spare bedding, toiletries, tea and coffee and they have even put a laptop tray in there for you. If you are travelling with babies they also supply a number of things such as high chairs, travel cots and have even thought about baby baths as the room we were in only had a shower. The hotel are also willing to store baby milk in their guest fridge for you. Also as a real bonus, next to reception is a little snack bar with bottles of pop, juice, baby food and snacks and the prices were very reasonable. Also they had an essential cupboard which had lots of toiletries such as deodorant, shower gel, hair styling products, baby wipes and baby toiletries again at reasonable prices just in case you forgot to bring anything with you or you arrived late at night.

Breakfast was lovely and the staff really do put a lot of work in. There is a wide selection on offer from cereal, pastries to cooked breakfast. Along with a selection of juices, teas and coffee to go with it. The breakfast room was very clean and well set up but do try and get there early to avoid the rush.

The car park is only a few minutes down the same road that the hotel is located on and compared to other hotel is reasonably priced. It cost us £20 for 2 nights stay. The hotel is just 5min walk to the shops and 10mins to the famous Shambles, we managed this walk several times with 2 kids. Would recommend taking the longer route round at night time to avoid having to walk through the pub crowds but this is only 2-3mins longer.

The bar is also very reasonably priced and means that you are alright to go back and spend some time there rather than having to sit in your room all night.

Yes the hotel is opposite a night club but we heard no noise but it is always good to ask for a non noisy room just to be sure. The only downfall about this is the mess outside the hotel in the mornings especially at the weekend. This isn't necessarily under the hotels control but would be nice to walk out and not see it especially when you may have just eaten.

All in all I loved the hotel and I am looking forward to going back. The staff were soo helpful and to say the hotel had only been open 2 weeks before we arrived they did very well.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with kids or for a quiet break ask for a non noisy room so that you don't...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Suitcase2007
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Just got back from a two night stay at this hotel and can't rate it highly enough. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the staff. I have twin boys (age 1) and found the hotel to be really accomodating of small children...we had lovely quality travel cots in our room with extra deep mattresses, lovely nursery bedding, along with two super modern high chairs and a great little baby bath! The first night we'd arrived fairly late and decided to eat in the hotel. I was worried about the boys as we'd run out of their usual food and normally hotels don't cater for babies....but Hampton by Hilton came to the rescue with their supplies of Ella's Kitchen- they even had baby wipes and milk! The breakfast in the morning was lovely and the staff again really seemed to look out for us. The hotel is located very close to the centre of York - extremely easy walking distance...we even had a view of the York wheel from our bedroom window. Really enjoyed our stay and will definately be making a visit again! Well done on a great start Hampton by Hilton York !!

1  Thank elfie b
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for Sat night early Nov 2012. All staff were excellent and well trained. Attention to service detail was superb as I had a phone call on my mobile from the hotel whilst travelling up to York offering an apology as their disabled parking space wasn't available. Public NCP multi-storey car parking is just 50m down the road.

Brand new hotel building within 200m of the City centre. opened early Oct 2012 so any teething problems had been sorted for our stay and just a 5 min walk from the train station.

Double bed was very firm and suitable for my wife's back condition. Quality duvet and covers with good pillows. Room at the back of the hotel on 4th floor so no noise at all even with another interlocking room to ours.

Rooms are reasonable size albeit a bit compact but large enough for 2 adults and 1 case. No suitcase stand though. Good size en-suite although some irritating lack of attention to detail as mentioned by other guests on TripAdvisor e.g. tap in sink does't hang over the sink enough to get your hands under. The towel unit in the ensuite is in a recess and would have been better if it had been built from floor to ceiling as space for customers toilet bags, etc is very limited. Shower was fine albeit pressure isn't the best but it is 'adequate'. Liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner provided. Free wi-fi and range of items also available for purchase e,g, chocolates, water, coke, etc.

Breakfast.provided a wide selection range and was always fresh - including cooked (quality) bacon, eggs, beans and sausage, cereals, tea/coffee, juice (out of a machine) but good quality even so, peach slices, grapefruit slices, breads and toast with jam and yoghurts. Staff did advise breakfast busy times although we went at peak time but still managed to get a table within a couple of minutes. Lots of staff on duty at breakfast so tables always cleaned and dirty crockery and plates removed very quickly. Congratulations to the management, staff and their training!

Would recommend and will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Bedroom higher up and to the rear of the hotel probably quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chchester
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was also really pleased to read that you like all the little extras we provide, such as baby food and other essential items.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here October half term so no surprise it was busy. Clearly some minor teething problems with housekeeping setting up my daughters bed.
The room was superb, a great clean bathroom. A quality TV and the room for two nights was adequate size
Clearly the Hotel decor was clean bright and welcoming. One slight gripe a little more storage space if travelling for longer stays.
The free breakfast was superb and my daughter loved the help yourself buffet. When venturing in to the city take a takeout brew with you to save buying a Costa .......nice touch
When we took breakfast every family in the Hotel decided to eat at the same time.....big credit to the staff who were very efficient in clearing tables. Would we stay here again - 100% yes
Booked via Expedia £164 for two nights 2 adults and daughter. Parking was a discount rate via NCP £10 per 24 hours so all in all a great find.
York a great location. PS if going to Pizza Express suggest you book first and take a discount voucher from the web.
The ghost walk from the Minster is a great family evening to conclude a great stay.

Room Tip: Room ground floor away from the rear of the Hotel perfect.
2  Thank MirfieldMan
VBurnham, Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Hampton by Hilton, York. Only have positive comments. Stayed in a room with a sofa bed that was ideal for my 2 kids. I drove to York and the NCP car park was a couple of minutes away. I read some comments about issues at breakfast time, but I experienced no issues. All staff were friendly & efficient. The room was compact, but had everything we needed. I did ask for a room to the rear of the hotel, previous comments have mentioned noise from the club opposite. Not sure if the club was closed through our stay, but we did not have any noise issues. The hotel is very well located, easy access to all the sites. For the price, I would highly recommend a staying here, the hotel is clean and modern and they appear to have ironed out any issues they had when they first opened.

Room Tip: Get down to breakfast before 9 to avoid any queues, book a room to the rear of the building.
2  Thank COW6Y10
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in Oct/Nov. Arrived at the hotel over an hour before check in but the receptionist checked us in straight away. He was very polite and helpful. Room was immaculate, gorgeous bathroom and very spacious room.

Had read some reviews about noise but didn't experience any problems.

Breakfast was a bit busy but it didn't really cause us any problems.

Would highly recommend this lovely hotel which is extremely close to the centre

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda R

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Spent a weekend here, it has potential to be good. It is clean, tastefully decorated, fab shower and nice touches in bathroom. Excellent location for city.
But.... too many problems were encountered and staff didn't seem experienced enough to put things right.
Our room was booked for 2pm, we arrived at 2.40pm and checked in. Room not ready, they said 15 mins. So we sat in reception waiting, 45 mins later I enquired again and was told it was now ready. No one had thought to communicate that to me and the room was 1 and a half hours late which meant we had a lot less time to explore the city. We were just left in reception with no proper apology or even a complimentary coffee.
On booking we were told, quote 'free private parking on site, reservation not needed'. Then we were told there is no on site parking, we had to use the NCP car park opposite. Contrary to what it said on our booking form the parking wasn't free but 41% reduced so for a 2 night stay its just over £20. We were told Booking.com made the mistake about free parking on their website but it had now been corrected. In this case we felt that the hotel should have honoured the customer as we had been clearly told, free on site parking.
This blame on Booking.com was again made apparent by reception when checking out. I was asked to pay an extra £17 for no reason except that they said this was the price now. I showed them my booking form with the total room price, £17 less than they were asking for. We asked to see the manager who also agreed that this was now the price. How can the cost of a room go up after booking for no reason except 'that's what it is now and the website must have got it wrong'. The manager then agreed to take the price that was on my booking form. They had problems and said they would sort it later as they had my card details and couldnt sort it then, which they did the next day.
We understand mistakes happen etc but we felt we weren't been listened to about the parking and the price. I had the proof in front of me, the hotel didn't want to honour what was on my booking form and there were no apologies to the customer and that is what made us annoyed and upset.
I do hope they can sort out these teething problems as it could be a really good place to stay, a little more customer service would go a long way and less blame on others. When booking with Booking.com I found them professional, polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not opposite the night club.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank meganyogiseena

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.