“great hotel in central location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton by Hilton York

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in York
durham
“great hotel in central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

my partner, two sons and i stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during october half term week. the hotel was in a great location with little walking needed to get to the main attractions in york which is always good when you have children with you. our room was very modern and although not much space was left once the sofa bed was used as an extra bed for the boys we are quite used to this and anyway we don't spend too much time sitting in the room! the toiletries and shower were lovely and spotlessly clean. the complimentary breakfast was great with a wide choice. although it was busy when we went down we sat in the bar area and ate which was perfectly ok with us. all in all a perfect hotel for a couple of nights away. we didn't hear any noise so i'm not sure if we were away from the nightclub or else we could just be heavy sleepers...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Victoria Burnham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

me and eight other people stayed here for my hen night.

When we arrived, altough we had trouble finding the parking we were very happy with its central location and friendly staff.

I had asked previously for the room with three guests to have no feather pillows, douvets etc but when we arrived we were told they had donre the wrong room. This wouldnt usually bother me but the lady on the phone reassured me, although im not sure she quite understood that not all of the rooms were a double as she kept saying 'theyre all double so i'll just change it in one of the room's' even though i said thats fine as long as its the room which will have three guests.

When we arrived to our room it was very clean, nicely laid out and great view but unfortunately we were only given one key card (luckily we stayed together), 2 teas, coffees etc, no toothbrush point and two towels. We called down straight away and also requested an ice bucket for our bubbly to celebrate this occasion. In there deffence they got the towels to us straight away but unfortunately once the ice bucket arrived it was time to go out (one hour later).

The breakfast staff where lovely but the breakfast itself was quite poor. i like a nice coffee or tea in the moring (not fussy on which) but what came out of there vending machine didnt represent either. very poor. Not a great selection of breakfast with what seemed like steamed bacon and sawdust sausages but my beans on toast suited me fine.

When we got back to our rooms we bumped into the maids (who were very nice) so reminded them could we please have enough towels for the three of us and tea/coffee. They said yes and to 'relax, your on holiday' only to find this time we had one towel and less tea/coffee! We found them down the corridoor and got what we needed.

The next day we had late check out which meant we were able to relax, so after another 'less than average' breakfast and packing we made our way down to check out. My mother shared a room with me so she took the keys back to check out whilst i spoke to my hens making sure they had enjoyed themselves. I wondered what was taking mom so long so looked over to see her get her debit card out. Once i went over we were told the room for three people, even though had three beds (double and sofa) had only been charged for two. I knew i had an email with costs on it so dispuited this calmly and then had to route through my bag to find the email. It was there in black and white but they still dispuited it and seeing as i couldnt look at my bank statemant then and there i agreed to pay it to avoid any hassle. Why for they didnt say when we checked in i dont know.

When I got home the first thing i did was check my bank statement, to which i found the member of staff was correct. I was baffled as to why they sent me a confirming email to say i had paid. It is a good job i had enough money in my account because some people may book breaks and not realise they hadnt paid in full only to find that they owe which may result in some poor person going into debt.

Overall this hotel was very clean, great location and very friendly/nice staff but for a Hilton (well from the Hilton chain) I expected much more.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed with a group of girls this weekend in two twin rooms. The hotel was lovely, brand new and very centrally located and at a great rate. Further to earlier comments we thought that breakfast was very well managed. A notice by the lift showed the busiest and quietest times, and following that we had no problems getting a table. Breakfast was great, the only quibble would be that the scrambled egg was dry, but I guess that is a difficult thing to serve on a buffet.

The room was gorgeous and although we had a room facing the nightclub and did hear some noise, it wasn't sufficient to keep us awake. If you are a light sleeper ask for room away from that side.

The hotel is really central, and it takes only 10 minutes to walk to the Minster and 5 minutes to the train station.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The nicest rooms are towards the back away from the nightclub side.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 20 November 2012

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Lovely modern hotel...close to all York has to offer...being just a short walk into town.rooms are spacious with a lovely bathroom with great walk- in shower...nice toiletries,super soft bath towels. Complimentary breakfast included in the price we paid...full English.cereals,pastries,breads,juice, etc etc all available in clean modern breakfast area. The only problem we had...which was no fault of the hotels...was the noise coming from the night club directly opposite the hotel from 2am onwards! Overall a great addition to the many hotels in York.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you dont want an early morning call from club goers leavi...

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

This hotel opened in October 2012 so when we stayed everything looked and felt new. The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful.
The room was well appointed and the bed was large and very comfortable.
The hotel was so quiet that I was surprised at how many guests were in the restaurant for breakfast, it was very busy.
The breakfast was buffet style with a good selection of cereals fruit and cooked. But most importantly the quality of the food was very high and everything looked and tasted fresh.
We really enjoyed our stay and slept better in this hotel that any other.
We noticed a night club directly opposite the hotel which seems to be closed on weekdays. If you plan to stay at the weekend it may be a good idea to ask for a room at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012

Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed for two nights during half term week, this hotel is new and nicely finished, the rooms were comfortable and clean.
It was a little inconvienent having to park away from the hotel and then walk with kids and cases!but it was worth it for the advantages of a nice hotel in a great city centre location, with easy access on foot to all the main tourist attractions.
However the hotel needs to advertise the correct parking rate on their website, as there were a few hampton by hilton customers trying to leave the car park at the same time as us, and we all had to pay a little more than expected even though we had our ticket validated by the hotel.

There was four of us in the room, which was a little cramped but we didn't spend too long in the room and paid a very good price for our break. The rooms has the usual toilietries and tea/coffee facilities.
We received a friendly welcome and check in and out was efficient.
The hotel was very busy, and this was evident and problomatic at times - we had two towels but needed four- reception gave us two extra straight away to take to our room. The next day our room hadn't been serviced by 4pm but we needed more milk to make a drink in the room - again reception gave us the milk.
The full hotel was evident at breakfast time we were advised to eat before 8.30am as after that became very busy. The breakfast area is self service and the tables are small and close together and it was very busy and at times difficult for people to find somewhere to eat, but the hotel staff worked hard to guide people to the bar area or to clear tables etc. I think it was a case of new hotel, half term, teething problems.
The breakfast was fine, nothing fantastic (although the kids loved the muffins!) but certainly enough choice and reflected what we paid for our break, however I think freshly squeezed orange juice is a must not the strange concertrated mixture we had!
The staff were always helpful and clearly worked hard, I would use this hotel again as I'm sure the few minor issues we experienced will now be resolved and if not - well they weren't major and we had a lovely stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 18 November 2012

See 8 more reviews by chchester for York

Victoria Burnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review

7 November 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was concerned to hear you were not charged the correct rate at the NCP car park, and after contacting them regarding this, it appears they had some issues with the pay station which they have arrured me have now been resolved. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

The Hampton by Hilton is a new hotel in York within the city walls. It is very near the railway station, no more than 5 mins walk. It is within easy reach of all the major tourist attraction, in fact, it is across the road from the York Brewery Museam. Very handy! The rooms are well appointed with an excellent walk in shower. Good television and radio provided. Breakfast is basic and a little disappointing, but it does not detract from a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo