“Great new hotel”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Very clean and smart hotel. Our favourite thing was the buffet breakfast. Really very nice.
The bathroom was an odd shape, which means fitting around a wall to get near the toilet.
One girl on reception wasn't the best. She was on the phone when we turned up and didn't even acknowledge us. She wasn't even talking to anyone on the phone and appeared to be just waiting to talk to someone. I thought this was incredibly rude. In the end, about ten minutes later, someone else came to check us in, who was far friendlier.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Victoria Burnham

Write a ReviewReviews (2,577)

Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

First impressions mean everything! We entered this gleaming new hotel with excitement only to be greeted by scowls from the reception staff, Obviously not quite grasped the concept of service with a smile! We were given keys to our 2 double rooms situated on the 5th floor facing the front of the building! The rooms themselves were very clean and comfortable but for some strange reason Hilton have decided to take the right of a guest being able to open their own window away? I like fresh air, even in November, I woke the first morning unable to speak due to the air con system forcing dry air in to my lungs as I slept, The second night I ensured the air con system was well and truly off! We stayed Friday and Saturday night and had to contend with the two clubs directly opposite and their merry patrons partying until 5am in the morning, I would advise you ask for a room at the back of the building if you intend on sleeping at all during your stay! Breakfast......where do I start...they say its complimentary but as we all know nothing is ever free, The sausage was of a very poor stantard as was the bacon, The scrambled egg was like rubber! Orange juice was from concentrate, Coffee was a disgrace! Not enough space in the dining area for all guests, On a morning theres people eating in the reception, bar, stairwell, its comical! I really can't see the point of providing the breakfast when it's of such a low standard it just leaves a negative thought of the hotel as it is the last thing the guest will experience before checking out.....Saying that the actual checking out is not a pleasant experience either, No smiles again! I genuinely would never stay here again! Not for the money we paid £400 for 2 doubles/2 nights! I wonder if when the manager reads this they will copy and paste the same response they have to all the other reviews?

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

stayed at this hotel last weekend with friends. It was very clean and the standard of furnishings was excellent and very modern. Breakfast was a buffet , hot drinks were from a machine which was just 'ok'. The location is ideal as it is close to the station and the city centre. The only draw back is that there is a club directly outside the entrance but I wear earplugs so it didn't bother me but friends did hear some noise. Slept like a log in the massive single bed!

Room Tip: try a room with an odd number this way you should avoid being opposite the club outside .
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2012

Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in the week and it was just perfect. Brand new hotel with the best location, very good breakfast, and good value. Rooms and bathrooms are big and the staff is very helpful. Very clean as well. Look no further!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 November 2012

Good to find a new hotel "inside the walls" in York. Given that it had only been open 6 weeks when we stayed, the management and staff have done amazingly well in such a short time. I have experience of newly opened hotels (including Hiltons) around the world, this opening is GOOD. Staff are friendly and trying really hard, breakfast is great, and the rooms tick all the boxes, especially as we prefer walk in showers. A short walk to good restaurants as well. Recommended.

Room Tip: High floors are best
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Reviewed 20 November 2012

my partner, two sons and i stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during october half term week. the hotel was in a great location with little walking needed to get to the main attractions in york which is always good when you have children with you. our room was very modern and although not much space was left once the sofa bed was used as an extra bed for the boys we are quite used to this and anyway we don't spend too much time sitting in the room! the toiletries and shower were lovely and spotlessly clean. the complimentary breakfast was great with a wide choice. although it was busy when we went down we sat in the bar area and ate which was perfectly ok with us. all in all a perfect hotel for a couple of nights away. we didn't hear any noise so i'm not sure if we were away from the nightclub or else we could just be heavy sleepers...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 November 2012

me and eight other people stayed here for my hen night.

When we arrived, altough we had trouble finding the parking we were very happy with its central location and friendly staff.

I had asked previously for the room with three guests to have no feather pillows, douvets etc but when we arrived we were told they had donre the wrong room. This wouldnt usually bother me but the lady on the phone reassured me, although im not sure she quite understood that not all of the rooms were a double as she kept saying 'theyre all double so i'll just change it in one of the room's' even though i said thats fine as long as its the room which will have three guests.

When we arrived to our room it was very clean, nicely laid out and great view but unfortunately we were only given one key card (luckily we stayed together), 2 teas, coffees etc, no toothbrush point and two towels. We called down straight away and also requested an ice bucket for our bubbly to celebrate this occasion. In there deffence they got the towels to us straight away but unfortunately once the ice bucket arrived it was time to go out (one hour later).

The breakfast staff where lovely but the breakfast itself was quite poor. i like a nice coffee or tea in the moring (not fussy on which) but what came out of there vending machine didnt represent either. very poor. Not a great selection of breakfast with what seemed like steamed bacon and sawdust sausages but my beans on toast suited me fine.

When we got back to our rooms we bumped into the maids (who were very nice) so reminded them could we please have enough towels for the three of us and tea/coffee. They said yes and to 'relax, your on holiday' only to find this time we had one towel and less tea/coffee! We found them down the corridoor and got what we needed.

The next day we had late check out which meant we were able to relax, so after another 'less than average' breakfast and packing we made our way down to check out. My mother shared a room with me so she took the keys back to check out whilst i spoke to my hens making sure they had enjoyed themselves. I wondered what was taking mom so long so looked over to see her get her debit card out. Once i went over we were told the room for three people, even though had three beds (double and sofa) had only been charged for two. I knew i had an email with costs on it so dispuited this calmly and then had to route through my bag to find the email. It was there in black and white but they still dispuited it and seeing as i couldnt look at my bank statemant then and there i agreed to pay it to avoid any hassle. Why for they didnt say when we checked in i dont know.

When I got home the first thing i did was check my bank statement, to which i found the member of staff was correct. I was baffled as to why they sent me a confirming email to say i had paid. It is a good job i had enough money in my account because some people may book breaks and not realise they hadnt paid in full only to find that they owe which may result in some poor person going into debt.

Overall this hotel was very clean, great location and very friendly/nice staff but for a Hilton (well from the Hilton chain) I expected much more.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.