“A fantastic choice for a central hotel”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in York
Westhouses
“A fantastic choice for a central hotel”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Fantastic hotel. Just got back from a weekend away with my friends. short distance from train station and shops/pubs/clubs. Hotel is very clean, the breakfast was great and plenty to choose from, the bed and pillows were the most comfortable ive ever slept on. No need to take hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel hand cream as its all provided and they are all very good products. Tea/coffee in room which can be restocked as and when. The staff were all both professional and friendly. I would have no problem reccomending this hotel to any of my friends and family. If i had to be really picky then id rather my bacon was grilled! lol. I will definateley be going back!

Room Tip: From what i heard from other guests no room is a bad/poor room
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Victoria Burnham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Southampton, UK
Reviewed 28 November 2012

As others have mentioned in their reviews, this hotel has only recently opened. As such it is a very good place to stay with a lot of thought having been put into its planning. I stayed for four nights in November 2012 and would happily do so again.
My room, while not large, was perfectly adequate for two people. In addition to the double beds, there was a settee which looked as though it could be opened to form a bed for a child; a footstool and an office chair.
The bathroom had a large walk-in shower, wash basin and toilet. It had dispensers for shampoo, body wash and conditioner in the shower (no bath), and hand wash and moisturiser by the wash basin. in the wardrobe was an ironing board, iron and hairdryer. By the side of the bed was a clock radio and at the foot of the bed was a 32in TV offering the full range of Freeview TV and radio channels.
The hotel makes a point of ensuring that the TV remote control is in the room - some guests at other hotels have been know to take them! A clock radio was by the side of the bed and was the phone.
There is a desk at which one can use a computer - there is free wifi in the rooms - an ethernet cable is provided for those without wifi.
Breakfast was available from 6am to 10am on weekdays and from 7am to 11am at weekends. However, I was told at reception that they were full on the Saturday and Sunday and therefore it would be best if I had it early to avoid difficulty finding a table.
I only have three minor criticisms. First there was no shaver socket in the bathroom - the first time I have ever stayed in a hotel without such a facility. While I know that many shavers are rechargeable now and so are electric toothbrushes, they still have to be charged and although there are several three-pin sockets in the room, there is no two-pin. Tip: bring a three-pin to two-pin adaptor.
Secondly, my room only had three drawers, one of which was occupied by the safe. I think that a hotel of this quality should have more drawer space.
Thirdly, there were only two tea bags and two sachets of instant coffee left in the room every day. Even Travelodge provides four coffees! A packet of biscuits would have been welcome too. However, additional supplies of tea and coffee can be obtained from the breakfast area.
The serve-yourself breakfast was superb, let down only by the poor coffee from a machine.
The hotel has a bar and offers a limited range of snacks and main courses. Near the Micklegate at the top of hill in which the hotel is located there is a Wetherspoons pub (closed for refurbishment at the time of writing but reopening very soon). Nearby there are two pubs both of which serve food and further along the road is a Sainsbury's Local.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 1948Mike

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel with family and had a great time.We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, the rooms well decorated modern clean and warm.The breakfast was more than adequate and set us up well for the day ahead.With a walk of just over 10 minutes to the minster and the centre what more could we want,we thoroughly enjoyed our stay .

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Beth2626
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 26 November 2012

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Just returned from a nice weekend at this hotel. Location great 5mins walk from train station. Rooms very comfortable and adequate.....breakfast was good found the drinks machine to be fine cafe au lait just how i like it. Nice new clean hotel with very pleasant helpful staff in all areas. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again in the future and would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dekjan_11

england
Reviewed 25 November 2012

where shall start ,what a brilliant hotel , close to everything really great location , food was great value , staff where very helpful couldn't fault them ,even lent us a umbrella , the room was at the front which i was a little worried about the club across the road , well for the biggest nightclub in york it not very noisy , we never heard it once . the room was clean and had plenty of room for the two of us . the restaurant was faultless, breakfast was lovely the staff were always happy to help all you can eat buffet .we ate at a lots of places but by far the besbigf t was ask Italian in the middle of york 1 minute from the minister ,the worst by far was jumbo chinese , all you can eat for £10 , 1 minute from the hotel dont go its terrible , yes £10 is cheap. but it should be free its that bad ..

I big thanks to hamptons for making our 12th anniversary special

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Birmingham
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

Very clean and smart hotel. Our favourite thing was the buffet breakfast. Really very nice.
The bathroom was an odd shape, which means fitting around a wall to get near the toilet.
One girl on reception wasn't the best. She was on the phone when we turned up and didn't even acknowledge us. She wasn't even talking to anyone on the phone and appeared to be just waiting to talk to someone. I thought this was incredibly rude. In the end, about ten minutes later, someone else came to check us in, who was far friendlier.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

First impressions mean everything! We entered this gleaming new hotel with excitement only to be greeted by scowls from the reception staff, Obviously not quite grasped the concept of service with a smile! We were given keys to our 2 double rooms situated on the 5th floor facing the front of the building! The rooms themselves were very clean and comfortable but for some strange reason Hilton have decided to take the right of a guest being able to open their own window away? I like fresh air, even in November, I woke the first morning unable to speak due to the air con system forcing dry air in to my lungs as I slept, The second night I ensured the air con system was well and truly off! We stayed Friday and Saturday night and had to contend with the two clubs directly opposite and their merry patrons partying until 5am in the morning, I would advise you ask for a room at the back of the building if you intend on sleeping at all during your stay! Breakfast......where do I start...they say its complimentary but as we all know nothing is ever free, The sausage was of a very poor stantard as was the bacon, The scrambled egg was like rubber! Orange juice was from concentrate, Coffee was a disgrace! Not enough space in the dining area for all guests, On a morning theres people eating in the reception, bar, stairwell, its comical! I really can't see the point of providing the breakfast when it's of such a low standard it just leaves a negative thought of the hotel as it is the last thing the guest will experience before checking out.....Saying that the actual checking out is not a pleasant experience either, No smiles again! I genuinely would never stay here again! Not for the money we paid £400 for 2 doubles/2 nights! I wonder if when the manager reads this they will copy and paste the same response they have to all the other reviews?

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.