“Not happy”

Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in York
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not happy”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I arrived before my partner to this hotel and booked in. Allocated a room . I asked whether it was a quiet room and was assured it was. Sadly it was very near the lift shaft so my partner was not happy. It was also not warm, the staff who were very good, provided an extra heater. This aside though, the room (I may believe) was near to a changing room for staff? I may be wrong on this but ,over the evening there was a lot of door closing/slaming noise over the evening. This meant that we had very little sleep. I was happy with the cleanliness of the room but all we wanted as a nights sleep, did not happen because of the noise.Good staff, Bad room.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Victoria Burnham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This hotel is conveniently located close to the railway station. It is also walking distance from town and is actually just inside the city walls, which we could see from our hotel room.
The hotel room had a modern feel to it (I think the whole hotel was rather new). The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice. However because it was one of those walk in showers the whole bathroom floor got wet after a shower.
Breakfast was nothing really special. There was enough choice but I thought it lacked quality. The croissants were definitely not fresh and the sausages were not very nice.
I thought the hotel was pricey but I suppose because it is York it will be expensive. Taking breakfast into consideration I think it is average value for money though.
All in all it was a nice place to stay for a long weekend of sightseeing in one of England's beautiful cities.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Excellent hotel. I stayed there for one night and was very happy with the service, rooms were nicely furnished and clean. Location is also really good, close to town centre and train station.
I would definitely recommend the hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed October 2012

Sheffield
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed here just for 1 night last week. A group of us had booked 4 rooms, specifying quiet rooms. I arrived early and the man on reception was a bit too helpful. My assigned room wasn't ready so, although I'd said I just wanted to drop my bag, he found a room that was ready. Unfortunately, it was at the front of the hotel, opposite a nightclub. I couldn't get to sleep for the noise of revelers queuing up outside around 12:30-1am, and then was woken up around 3:30 as everyone left. But next morning, the helpful man from the previous day asked how my room was, so I told him how noisy it had been, and they refunded the total cost.
The hotel is pretty much brand new, the rooms are a good size and very comfortable. The breakfast buffet is excellent, the bar very nice and the staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a room where you won't be disturbed by the nightclub.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Just stayed at this hotel for a short weekend break, two nights.We arrived by train and found the hotel easily enough only five minutes walk from the station.Check in was good with receptionist very helpfull.Rooms are a good size and very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is help yourself buffet style and is of a good standard,we were in there for 8 o clock and at this time it was fairly empty,but by 9 it was starting to fill up.The hotel is in a great location for all the attractions of York.All in all we had a nice hasslefree stay, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012

Huddersfield
Reviewed 9 December 2012

If possible don't take the car. We came by train via trainline.com. from Huddersfield. £7.00. there £8.50. back. for two.... £32.00. total.
Staff very helpful. If asked take the lower ground rooms, no noise whatsoever. Breakfast is ok, buffet, everything you need, just enjoy, nice hotel.....be back in the summer.. Dave huddersfield.

Room Tip: Come by train...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

dundee
Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

The hotel is quite new, open 2 months I think. We found it attractive and very well situated. It's within easy walking distance of the centre and also the rail station. Our room was clean and comfortable and the self service breakfast was good. The staff cleared the breakfast tables quickly and on the whole they were pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed December 2012
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 9 December 2012