“Almost great!”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Everything was excellent apart from the building site at the back of the hotel, the hairs on the toilet and the street behind was covered in sick from the nearby nightclub goers.
The receptionist was exceptional, a real credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

As previous reviewers have mentioned this is a brand new hotel so everything is modern and very clean. The location is excellent with the railway station and centre only a few minutes walk away. The buffet breakfast is good with a reasonable selection of hot and cold food available.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We spent a couple of nights in the hotel early December 2012.
It has only been open a couple of months and is very modern and clean.
Modern facilities , adjustable heating controls, in room safe, large digital TV and nice furnishings are provided, but the beds are really comfortalble, and make the stay a pleasure.
Prices are ok, and the location close to the railway station is an added bonus.
Breakfast is buffet style and was really good, with decent scrambled egg and really good bacon.
Cereals, fruit and bread are all available and you can eat as much as you need to fuel the day walking around York.
If you want to, you can work off the pounds in the ground floor Gym, small, but with decent equipment.
There is an iron and board in the room, along with hard wired and wireless internet access.
There are 2 internet computer terminals in the main communal area, and the bar also provides snacks when needed.
Standard draught beer and Lager unfortunately, but this is expected (when will they ever learn about real ales as an alternative to the dross that is provided?)-Whinge over-
In all, a good experience and heartily recommended.

Room Tip: Rear rooms seem to be recommended
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Just stayed here for 2 nights, Sat & Sun 8th & 9th Dec. There were 8 of us in 4 rooms all on the same floor as reception, we had no problem with noise from the club opposite. As the hotel is brand new everything is spotless, modern decor, bedroom and bathroom as new, very comfy bed. Good location took just less than 10 mins to reach the centre of York and if travelling by train a couple of mins walk from station. Breakfast was very good, its basically a trimmed down Hilton breakfast but is still as I said very good, just maybe not as much choice although the quality is still high and there is more than enough. Last time I stayed in York I stayed at the Hilton but as I was paying for 4 rooms this time I booked this hotel as it was much cheaper, when I next visit York I won't hesitate to book this hotel even if just booking one room as it was great value for money and just as nice as the Hilton. The staff were all pleasant and helpful printing off a map and highlighting a route for us to find a restaurant. One thing to remember if using the NCP car park, get your ticket validated by reception before you leave as a member of our party hadn't done this and ended up paying almost £40 instead of the discounted rate of £25 which we paid that was from 12.30 Saturday lunchtime until 4.00pm on Monday which I didnt think was bad.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 December 2012

I arrived before my partner to this hotel and booked in. Allocated a room . I asked whether it was a quiet room and was assured it was. Sadly it was very near the lift shaft so my partner was not happy. It was also not warm, the staff who were very good, provided an extra heater. This aside though, the room (I may believe) was near to a changing room for staff? I may be wrong on this but ,over the evening there was a lot of door closing/slaming noise over the evening. This meant that we had very little sleep. I was happy with the cleanliness of the room but all we wanted as a nights sleep, did not happen because of the noise.Good staff, Bad room.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations.
Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

This hotel is conveniently located close to the railway station. It is also walking distance from town and is actually just inside the city walls, which we could see from our hotel room.
The hotel room had a modern feel to it (I think the whole hotel was rather new). The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice. However because it was one of those walk in showers the whole bathroom floor got wet after a shower.
Breakfast was nothing really special. There was enough choice but I thought it lacked quality. The croissants were definitely not fresh and the sausages were not very nice.
I thought the hotel was pricey but I suppose because it is York it will be expensive. Taking breakfast into consideration I think it is average value for money though.
All in all it was a nice place to stay for a long weekend of sightseeing in one of England's beautiful cities.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Excellent hotel. I stayed there for one night and was very happy with the service, rooms were nicely furnished and clean. Location is also really good, close to town centre and train station.
I would definitely recommend the hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2012