“Nasty neighbours”

Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in York
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nasty neighbours”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I spend four days of the Christmas holidays in this hotel and had a very good time. The room was new and modern, with tea/coffee facilities. Only the beds were like concrete for me. But everything was cleaned well, friendly staff. You could walk to the city center within 10 minutes. No complaints about that at all.
Breakfast was 'free' but very English. After four days of baked beans, schrambled eggs, sausages and bacon I could do with some bread and cheese as a Dutch girl ;) But not a big problem. So the hotel itself is lovely and I would certainly go there again, however...the opposite neighbour of the hotel is a nightclub. Fortunately the nightclub wasn't open all nights because of Christmas...but on the last night: screaming boys and girls, loud music, vomit all around the place. Not a nice site. The loud basstones went right through my earplugs. Such a pity. If I was the owner of this hotel (Mr. Hilton?)l I would buy the damn place and shut it down immediately.
Take a room at the back of the hotel or else you won't sleep a wink. And if this is not available, I would consider another hotel because of this.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel is a must, or else you won't leep a wink because of the nighclub.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Anna196537
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had a lovely Christmas break.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton York.

Wishing you a happy New Year.

Victoria Burnham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Stayed at hotel with my daughter just before Christmas on short break to York.
The first room we were given was at the front of property but it had no blinds only net curtains. As windows are floor to ceiling that wasn't ideal but front desk happily moved us to another room.
We had no problem with noise but hotel is across road from a busy York nightclub so this might have some noise at weekend.
Couldn't get wifi on my Ipod touch in room which was a bit annoying - hotels shouldn't advertise free wifi unless they have a strong signal in all rooms. Front desk was unhelpful when I asked about this and blamed it on fact that I only had an Ipod touch - it works other places including Starbucks so think it is their problem.
We had twin bed room - clean and spacious. Large walk in shower but basic toiletries and towels rather unfluffy given that this is a new hotel.
Tea/coffee making facilities in room (no biscuits!) and large TV. Adequate hanging space.
Breakfast was good, self service - fruit juice, cereal, yoghurts, grapefruit segments, bacon, sausage, egg etc. Make your own toast and coffee. Warning given that breakfast area gets very busy after 9am but we found that guests were mainly businessmen so breakfast actually quietened down after 9am although probably the opposite at weekends.
Hotel is less than 10 minute walk from station, no car parking but there is an NCP at end of road.
Very good Chinese restaurant - Red Chilli - less than 5 minutes walk away (do not confuse with the all you can eat Chinese buffet restaurant on opposite side of road) but only 5 minutes from lots of other restaurants in York centre.
If you want a clean, basic hotel that is a cut above Premier Inn then I would recommend.
Don't book on hotel's own site as cheaper deals through other hotel booking website - even if these don't say free breakfast included it is as this is one of Hampton's selling points.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back of hotel as possible noise from nightclub across road.
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was sorry to hear you could not get WiFi on your Ipod touch. This should not have been the case as the WiFI should work with all Ipod's. I will ensure that this is investigated and resolved. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused you.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton York.

Wishing you a happy New Year.

Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife booked to stay in this hotel as a break before Christmas. The hotel is very near the train station so you can leave the car at home. The hotel is very clean with a spacious bedroom and bathroom you could not ask for more . The staff were professional and friendly the manager s very cheery . Breakfast is first class and is set out to help yourself .
We will return in the future !

• Stayed December 2012

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton York.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

north of England
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We stayed here for the weekend with our grandchildren, December 2012...lovely new hotel, spacious room even for 4, very modern and clean with good facilities.
Attractive bar area with friendly helpful staff and a bright airy breakfast room with plentiful buffet breakfast.

The one thing that spoiled our stay slightly was the fact that when we booked we were told car parking was available nearby at £10 per night.When we arrived we were directed to an NCP car park very close by which was fine.Nothing else was mentioned to us by the check in receptionist and when we went back to our vehicle after our stay and inserted our ticket into the parking meter imagine how annoying it was to find that we actually needed to pay £34 in order to leave the car park. A lady told us that we should have had our ticket validated by our hotel but by then it was too late as our ticket was in the machine.Why on earth don't the check in staff mention this to customers on arrival.

Even more annoying was that when we returned home my husband e-mailed the Hotel to tell them what had happened . To date they have not replied.

1 Thank janetcampbell2005
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you enjoyed our free breakfast.

I was sorry to hear you had problems with the car park I am afraid that we don't seem to have received your e-mail. If you could e-mail it me me again on QQYTG_Hampton@hilton.com, and mark the e-mail for my attention, so that I can investigate the matter, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton York.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed here December 2012 what a great hotel very central to everything rooms very nice and modern lovely bathroom. staff very friendly breakfast nice . We had a room at the back of the hotel nice and quite you could see the york eye. Dont get a taxi from the train station it is only a 5 minute walk away would stay here again.

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Merry Christmas

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2012

The staff are welcoming and very helpful. The free breakfast was just the ticket for a full day around york. This is new hotel and had only been open a couple of months and was tastefully decorated. The bar area is very welcoming with a few quite ares.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 21 December 2012

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed here for the weekend in December. The hotel is very fresh and modern and rooms are spacious. I would suggest requesting a room at the back away from the nightclub opposite. The buffett breakfast was very nice but the food in the hotel bar isn't anything special and quite dear for what you get, however there isn't any need to eat here there are plenty of lovely restaurants in walking distance. The hotel doesn't have any parking so we used the carpark near by and this is also quite expensive. All in all though I would recommend this hotel for a short break in York.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and that you had an enjoyable stay.