“Great location and friendly staff”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in York
Alcester, United Kingdom
“Great location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed with a colleague at the Hampton by Hilton York for two nights while attending a conference at the University of York at the end of March/beginning of April. We chose this hotel for its close proximity to both the station and the city centre - while it's true that the hotel is not the prettiest building from the outside, nor on one York's quaintest streets, the location was ideal and the interior of the hotel was very nice indeed.

When I checked in and heard that my room was on the ground floor I internally groaned as usually this means noise. However, I must confess I was not bothered by noise at all. My room was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The water pressure in the shower wasn't great, and there was tea and coffee but no biscuits (!!) but other than that I can't complain at all. Free WiFi is always a nice bonus when travelling for business.

I made use of the small fitness room while I was here, and though at busier times you might have to fight over the two treadmills, one elliptical, one bike and a handful of weights, it was perfectly adequate and very clean. One very minor quibble: I stayed the Monday and Tuesday after the clocks had gone forward, and wanted to use the fitness suite at 6.30am (yeah, I know...). The fitness suite has a card-activated lock which must be programmed to allow entry at 6am when the fitness room opens. However, the mechanism still "thought" it was 5.30am so I couldn't get in. I popped upstairs to reception to query this, and their solution was to prop the door open for me. Well, fine, this enabled me to do my morning workout, but I hope none of the guests in rooms on the basement level could hear my elephant feet tramping the treadmill at that time of the morning! It was also a bit frustrating that the problem with the time-lock hadn't been fixed when I went back at 6.30am the next morning...hey ho.

We didn't eat any evening meals at the hotel, but we did enjoy our breakfast on both mornings - a help-yourself buffet arrangement with a good and plentiful selection of hot and cold options.

Finally I must mention the staff as they were all really polite and helpful during our stay. We had requested for a parcel of printed brochures to be delivered to the hotel for our conference attendance and panicked when it didn't turn up, but the hotel reception staff were fantastic and called us the moment it finally did arrive - thank you!

Room Tip: I would probably try and avoid the basement, especially when I am on the treadmill and the door is p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I was also glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us.

Please accept my apologies for the issue you had with the fitness room door. This has now been rectified.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, and we do hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit to York.

Victoria Burnham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
W.yorks
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed here with family for a two night break.Rooms are very clean and spacious.Breakfast is buffet style with a wide choice to choose and is very good.The hotel is modern and staff very friendly.Next time we stay in York this will be our first choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheYorkshiretwo
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your tow night break, and that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I was also glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Convenient location, excellent facilities, modern, clean and fresh. Especiallly liked the complimentary bathroom products; no on site parking but discounted NCP within a few hundred yards. The hotel staff very helpful; they recommended and booked an excellent local Italian restaurant. safe and accessible for business woman travelling alone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Judith B
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and I was glad to hear you enjoyed the Italian we recommended.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel located a short walk away from all the main attractions. lovely, modern and clean my only moan would be that the beds are uncomfortable but otherwise cannot fault the hotel. The car park is situated just down the road you have to pay but it's discounted.
We had small children in our party and they couldn't do enough to help us thank you.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Roxymini2007
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I was also glad to read you liked the location of the hotel.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night stay here . Compact rooms with good use of every available space . Staff are helpful and nothing is too much trouble for them . Varied selection of both hot and cold foods at breakfast . Would recommend and look forward to a return trip

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank SwallowD
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I was also glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us.

Dewsbury
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lovely hotel clean service spot on. Could not fault the breakfast. Would definitely go back. Parking across the road at n c p car park good discount don't forget to have your ticket authorized. Near enough to walk into city centre but far enough away not to be noisy.

Room Tip: Room 334 end room 3rd floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that youliked the location of the hotel. I was also glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us.

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights and have to I could not fault this hotel.

It's modern and clean throughout with good sized bedrooms that have all the facilities you would expect from a Hilton hotel but at a very reasonable cost.

Yes car parking is an extra charge but it's discounted for hotel guests and the car park is less than 2 minutes walk away.

This hotel is ideally situated to see the city and is tucked away on a quiet street so you won't get any noise pollution to disturb your sleep.

The staff were lovely, very helpful and check in/out happened very quickly with no queues or delays. 24 hour bar and pizza plus snacks are available and are very reasonably priced. Breakfast was great and is buffet style and has plenty of choice and was all fresh and good quality.

Would I return, yes!