“V central. Great service nice rooms and fab breakfast! Excellent”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for hen party I a triple room which was quite crossed but excellent value. Lovely bathroom v clean and tidy generally. Good facilities with an amazing buffet breakfast. Staff v friendly. Walked to train station easily but is just £4 in a taxi if it's raining. Couldn't fault it. X

• Stayed: March 2014
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hen party, and that you found the reception staff friendly and helpful. I was also glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, and we do hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit to York.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Nice reasonably priced hotel within the city walls. Clean and comfortable with smallish rooms but good value for the location. We didn't have a problem with noise but we were not there on a Saturday night. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank WarwickTraveller
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am glad that you found the location of the hotel convenient for your stay in York, and was also really pleased that you found the room clean and comfortable and that you had a good night's sleep.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel was modern and very comfortable. Great position near the station and the centre of York. The staff were helpful and friendly.
However the breakfast was disappointing. There was too much emphasis on self-service - the coffee and orange juice were tasteless. It was a shame because if they could only make some fresh coffee and perhaps cut up some fresh fruit (rather than tinned) this would be a good place to stay overall. I didnt understand why the oranges had felt tip pen writing on them?
Get the breakfast right and this would then get five points rather than four.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cambio
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel, and that you found the reception staff friendly and helpful. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast. We are constantly reviewing the products and service we offer, therfore your comments will be extremely valuable to us when deciding what changes to make for the future.

With regards to the oranges, we use them to write messages to our guests to wish them a good morning etc, and have generally had positive feedback from guests.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights and everything about the hotel is just the best.
The hotel is ideally located. Just a few minutes walk from the station and a few minutes walk from the centre.
The room and bathroom are in pristine condition and cleaned daily with fresh towels etc. Big comfy beds, big telly and quiet enough with hardly any traffic passing by.
Breakfast times are excellent with the full range of what you would expect at breakfast time. It does get a bit busy around 9am but there was still room to eat. For meal times I found the food selection to be a bit limited but I was here for a week. The food is cooked to perfection. You can also get Pizzas at any time 24/7.
As I was here on business and starting early most days, I was offered a carry out breakfast. The chef said he would prepare it personally for me. I gotta say, I haven’t had many hotels offer that kind of service.
There is a fitness centre which is free to use, there’s also free wifi throughout the hotel and sky sports on the telly in the bar/reception area. Plenty of power sockets for laptops etc.
There was a stag party in the reception area on their way out on Friday evening but that was all I seen and heard of them. (hope they’re ok). Had a great night’s sleep every night.
The staff here are a credit to the hotel. Very professional and very friendly, always smiling, pleasant and have plenty of time for the guests no matter how busy they may be.
The next time I stay in York, this is the place I am looking at coming back to, it is spot on.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ian W

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am so pleased that we met your needs for your 7 night stay, and I'm absolutely delighted that we were able to offer you a carry out breakfast so that you didn't miss oout on your breakfast.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Hampton by Hilton is a very good hotel near both the rail station and the town center. Rooms are very good and functional. Breakfast was just average but could be improved. Overall I would stay here again,

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with your family and that you recieved a nice quick check in.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

When we arrived at this hotel we were greeted by a lovely lady at reception who checked us in quickly.

Our room was clean and comfortable for myself, husband and two children aged 6 and 9.

Breakfast was nice, we managed to avoid the peak times by going at 7am. Great choice of foods available, both hot and cold.

We had our car park ticket validated at reception when we left (for the ncp car park just 3 minute walk from the hotel) and was pleasantly surprised at the cost. It was only £25 from 11am Saturday until 3.30pm Monday, I thought it would have been more.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read that you appreciated the location of the hotel, and that you found the reception staff friendly and helpful. I was also glad to read you enjoyed your breakfast with us.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed with a colleague at the Hampton by Hilton York for two nights while attending a conference at the University of York at the end of March/beginning of April. We chose this hotel for its close proximity to both the station and the city centre - while it's true that the hotel is not the prettiest building from the outside, nor on one York's quaintest streets, the location was ideal and the interior of the hotel was very nice indeed.

When I checked in and heard that my room was on the ground floor I internally groaned as usually this means noise. However, I must confess I was not bothered by noise at all. My room was spacious, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The water pressure in the shower wasn't great, and there was tea and coffee but no biscuits (!!) but other than that I can't complain at all. Free WiFi is always a nice bonus when travelling for business.

I made use of the small fitness room while I was here, and though at busier times you might have to fight over the two treadmills, one elliptical, one bike and a handful of weights, it was perfectly adequate and very clean. One very minor quibble: I stayed the Monday and Tuesday after the clocks had gone forward, and wanted to use the fitness suite at 6.30am (yeah, I know...). The fitness suite has a card-activated lock which must be programmed to allow entry at 6am when the fitness room opens. However, the mechanism still "thought" it was 5.30am so I couldn't get in. I popped upstairs to reception to query this, and their solution was to prop the door open for me. Well, fine, this enabled me to do my morning workout, but I hope none of the guests in rooms on the basement level could hear my elephant feet tramping the treadmill at that time of the morning! It was also a bit frustrating that the problem with the time-lock hadn't been fixed when I went back at 6.30am the next morning...hey ho.

We didn't eat any evening meals at the hotel, but we did enjoy our breakfast on both mornings - a help-yourself buffet arrangement with a good and plentiful selection of hot and cold options.

Finally I must mention the staff as they were all really polite and helpful during our stay. We had requested for a parcel of printed brochures to be delivered to the hotel for our conference attendance and panicked when it didn't turn up, but the hotel reception staff were fantastic and called us the moment it finally did arrive - thank you!

Room Tip: I would probably try and avoid the basement, especially when I am on the treadmill and the door is p...