“Good position, near station” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton by Hilton York

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in York
Mermaid Waters
“Good position, near station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to the railway station and within walking distance to most everything in town. The rooms are very small with little hanging space and nowhere to fit luggage. The bathroom was also very small without bench space to put anything. However the beds are very comfortable and the place is very clean. It is also quiet even though it is opposite a night club. Bed linen is nice and the towels are nice and thick. The included breakfast is excellent. Great variety and well presented. A special thankyou to the breakfast gentleman who not only found me gluten free toast but gluten free sausages as well. He was a gem and looked after me really well. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. On the whole I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to return

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
VBurnham, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the location for the hotel to your liking. I am also glad we could cater for your dietary requirements and that you enjoyed your breakfast

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Mike Sweeting

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

as the hotel is fairly new it smells new !!!!it is very central for the city center ,the staff were very helpful ,the bedrooms were very clean, the air con help as it was a very warm weekend , there is a night club opposite but this wasn't a problem for us , never heard a thing will return to this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Conway, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here last year. The amenities were comfortable, conveniently located and modern compared to similarly priced lodgings in other cities in which I was staying during this research trip.
If one is looking for local charm, this is not your place, but it might make a welcome stopover if one has been doing a lot of that and needs a place to regroup in a modern business hotel as I did after 3 weeks in charming B&Bs that don't necessarily cater to the modern business traveler! It was comfortable, clean, professionally run, reasonably priced, and within a couple of blocks of the historic city centre, cathedral, Clifford's Tower, etc. The lavish breakfast was also welcome.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank academicprofessional
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed your breakfast.

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

When booking a hotel for a night away for my girlfriends birthday, the Hampton definitely stood out to us as one of York's better hotels, I only wish we read the negative reviews before booking. We arrived in York around 11am, check in wasn't until 2pm but we wanted to park up and explore the city before checking in. I asked the receptionist where the hotel car parking was, and was told there wasn't one but there was an NCP down the street where my ticket could be validated for a discount rate of £12, fair enough I thought at the time, but upon leaving and 'apparently' having the ticket validated by the hotel receptionist, we still ended up paying £30 for parking which to me is an absolute scam given the cost of the room for the night. This wound me up for the majority of the journey home, and If the hotel had stated the car parking situation in the booking process, we'd have looked for alternative parking or travelled by train. The hotel itself is a very nice and modern building, the room was very nicely designed and clean, as was the bathroom, but these were the only positives. But, we were unable to open the window due to it being locked and us not having a key, the television could only pick up the music channels and the bathroom door (room 410) didn't lock unless you pushed the door forcibly against the frame. The air conditioning was loud, but I suppose the same could be said for all hotel air con units. The staff weren't the friendliest in my opinion, so all in all, we won't be hurrying back any time soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kieran M
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was sorry to hear that on this occasion we failed to deliver your expectations. It is extremely important to us that all of our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. With the Hotel providing air-conditioning in the rooms none of the windows open in the bedrooms. I will investigate too see why your television only had the music channels available. We do provide information on the Hotel on our welcome letter which does advise guests if there are any problems to contact the NCP car park to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton York

Kind regards

Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I travel to York often on business and choose to stay here every time. Well furnished modern rooms, very convenient for City centre and reasonable price. Friendly staff and decent buffet breakfast - basic but good enough to set me up for the day. Parking is about 5 mins walk in Tanner Row public car park. I do not find this a problem and have never failed to get a space. The free wi fi and newspapers are welcome. I really like the shiny modern bathrooms the rooms have. I stay in lots of hotels and many look a bit tired with slightly weary decor and fittings ... But not here. Everything is new and spotless. I wouldn't choose the bar for a social but why would you? You are in the heart of lovely York and within minutes of dozens of great pubs and restaurants!
If you are on a budget this is good value too.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I am delighted to read that you enjoy staying with us regularly and that you enjoy the fixtures and fittings at the Hotel.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton. Looking forward to seeing you again soon

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

we stayed here for 2 nights in york and have to say, even though the hotel is a nondescript building, the location is excellent, the rooms are very comfortable and the breakfast (included) is awesome. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was so pleased you enjoyed your stay and I'm really glad you enjoyed the breakfast we offer and that you found the rooms met your expectations.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, and we do hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit to York.

Victoria Burnham
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Having not stayed in a Hampton before, we were disappointed. Staff were not particularly helpful or friendly, off street access is poor and there is no parking. On the plus side, the room was modern, clean and well apponted. Breakfast is a limited buffet.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jaral1202158
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was sorry to hear that on this occasion we failed to deliver your expecations. It is extremely important to us that all of our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your first experience in a Hampton Hotel. Please be assured that the issues you have raised will be fully investigated.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton York, and I do hope you will chose to stay with us again so that we can restore your faith in the Hampton brand.

Kind regards