“Good clean and comfy place to stay”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in York
Alpine, California
“Good clean and comfy place to stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Really close to the train station (walking distance) and to the tourist parts of York. Staff are very helpful and very pleasant to deal with.
As someone who spends close to 140 days a year in hotels I was very pleased with the location, room and bed. Though a little on the compact side when it comes to room size everything was clean and functional - it always surprises me that hotels do not understand that this is what we want!
Breakfast was good and food was always fresh...

Room Tip: No real view to talk about so no big deal which way you face...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
VBurnham, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us in and that you found round to your liking
Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Mike Sweeting

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This property is well situated in York city centre and is both modern and comfortable. Pricing is very competitive but, and its a very big but, there are some annoying features which will put many travellers off this hotel.

1) Its cheap so atracts Stag and Hen parties. We stopped in late July and the hotel was full of drunk teenagers and twenty-somethings. We saw two ambulances called to to the hotel to treat drunk revellers over our two day stay, one call was to a teenager at 1600hrs who was paralytic drunk and vomiting in reception. What a waste of emergency service resource and surely and embarrassment for the hotel? Hilton - apologise to Yorkshire Ambulance Service, truly unacceptable.

2) The hotel is opposite one of Yorks largest nigh clubs. this makes returning to the hotel after midnight and interesting experience. My wife felt threatened, I disagree, but I am over 6" tall and she just 5", so I can see why she felt uncomfortable.

3) Hotel claims to serve food, it does not. Food is reheated pizza and packet snacks.

4) If you are travelling on business do not use the recommended NCP car-park. This closes at 2200hrs and does not reopen until 0800hrs. This caught me out as I needed my car at 0600hrs for work. I should have read the notice in the car-park but as there is nowhere else to park there is little other choice other than a parking ticket.

So great little hotel, with helpful and professional staff in a super location. However, as York has become the nightlife capital of Yorkshire this hotel seems to have become the choice for cost conscious younger travellers which concomitant associated problems.

Fine for business (other than the car-park) but take care if looking for a family hotel on a weekend. I want to like this property, but based on two business stays I am unable to recommend.

Room Tip: Good for business mid-week. avoid if choosing for a family break at weekends. Marriott or Holiday In...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Richard B
VBurnham, Public Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review of the Hampton by Hilton York

I was sorry to hear that we failed to deliver your expectations. The Ambulances that were called were for a local establishment and not for a guest drinking in the hotel we were just assisting. We do offer a small bar menu which is available to 9.30 which offer salad, curry’s and a pasta dish. There are also daily specials, starters and desserts. The pizzas are available on our 24 hour menu and the snack shop is available again 24h ours a day.
Thank you once again for taking the time to feedback to us, and I do hope you will choose to stay with the Hilton brand in the future.

Fife
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and were very impressed. Check in staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and very knowledgeable about the local area and gave us some excellent recommendations for places to eat.
The rooms were nicely decorated and were air conditioned.
Breakfast was good considering it was included in the price.
All the main attractions in York were no more than a 10 minute walk.
Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rickdekikkerfanclub
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your 4 nights stay with us in and that you found your check in experience pleasant with the team giving you some helpful information on York.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a pretty good hotel. The beds were comfortable and the rooms clean. The breakfast in the morning had a lot to offer and was ran very proficiently. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was having to park my car down the road at the public car park. If I had been on my own at night I would not have liked to have to walk up the hill to the hotel, but I suppose there is nothing the hotel can do as they don't have any space to build their own car park.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us in and that you liked the comfortable and clean rooms.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Myself and eldest daughter spent a lovely overnight stay. Staff were friendly. We had a lovely chill out time in the afternoon after we arrived in the very pleasant lounge, enjoying a wine together and chat.
Our room was spacious, clean and with everything we needed.
Breakfast was great. It was midweek but no problems. Thought the grab and go idea was very good for those in a hurry.
We were also able to leave our bags at the hotel after we checked out, and collected them later in time to catch our train home. no charge for this service.
All in all the perfect choice.

Room Tip: Our window did overlook a night club, but on the night we stayed, the club was closed, but maybe som...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us in particular that you liked the bar and breakfast offering.

Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The reception staff were very pleasant and helpful, after checking in the receptionist telephoned our room to see that everything was to our liking, in the room there was a safe, tea and coffee making facilities, extremely comfortable beds and air conditioning. The breakfast area had everything that you could want. The hotel is about a 5/10min walk from the rail station and town centre bars and restaurants about 15/20 minute walk.

Room Tip: A room on the fourth floor would maybe have better overall view, but I feel this hotel is about the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the bedrooms to your liking.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great location for those on business or vacation in York. 5 mins to train station and 10 mins walk to city centre. Great value. Comfortable and great for value. Good for business, especially with complimentary internet connection and breakfast (though not great for dinner). Friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your business stay with us and you found the Hotel to your liking. I am sorry you did not enjoy your evening meal. We are looking into changing the burgers we offer.