“A delightful trip to a wonderful garden”

Breezy Knees Gardens
Ranked #5 of 215 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: 20 acres of extensive gardens featuring over 7,000 different varieties of flowers, shrubs and trees. One of the largest gardens in Northern England if woodland and parkland are excluded.
Reviewed 9 June 2018

After seeing an item on Look North about Breezy Knees Gardens we decided to visit it again as we had not been for six years. We wanted to see how it had developed since the last time we were there and we were absolutely amazed at the additions that had been made since our last visit. We loved it before but now I think we can safely say that it is one of the best gardens in the country and easily compares and is better than some of the well known ones. The range of plants, shrubs and trees is phenomenal and all growing so healthily. The layout of all the individual gardens is magical and it was so good that everything was labelled. We had coffee in the cafe when we first arrived as we had left home very early to travel the 98 miles from home. After we had been round the gardens we had a light lunch there too and all the staff were so friendly and helpful. Before we left we just had to visit the nursery to see the wonderful range of plants on offer and also to bring a few home with us for our own garden! I would have brought more home with me but unfortunately some that I had seen and liked in the gardens were not on sale in the nursery. We can honestly say that we had a wonderful day and vowed we would not leave it so long again before we return!

All reviews
"keen gardener"
in 8 reviews
"buy plants"
in 8 reviews
"different times of the year"
in 6 reviews
"harlow carr"
"quality plants"
"herbaceous borders"

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Spent all too short a time exploring the many garden layouts, fountain and lake, tree lined borders, of this imaginative development near York.
Well worth a visit for sheer pleasure, relaxation, garden ideas - and a good cafe too!

Reviewed 9 June 2018

I just recently found my perfect style and pace when travelling, I would call it more of a 'healing' rather than travelling-- and visiting gardens and other hidden gems like this one is my new favorite thing.

I used the local bus to go here, so had to take quite a long walk from the bus station to this garden, however, it was worth it! The garden is beautiful, the gardeners seemed to be very nice and caring (you can see that they care SO much about the plants and the overall cleanliness of the garden).

I took a lot of pictures when I came, but I am just going to share one with you because I don't want to spoil you too much. You should come here and check it for yourself!

Unfortunately, the cafe is closed on Monday & Tuesday though, however, they do allow you to bring snacks and have a little picnic in the garden. So just bring your own snacks and beverages and you'll be fine. Hope this review helps.

1  Thank Melanie 爱
Reviewed 8 June 2018

It is worth braving the traffic on the A64 and the A166 to get here. You arrive at a smallish car park, near the cafe and loos, which are both helpful after a longish drive. Pay your entry fee and then wander into the Gardens. The path to the Gardens is delightful, bordered by many beautiful plants and provides the perfect foretaste of what is to come. The garden itself is divided into ‘rooms’ or areas if you prefer, each one different and each one full of stunning plants, all seemingly perfectly placed to create a stunning tapestry of form, texture and colour. You spends hours here, going from room to room, exploring the plants, which are nearly always helpfully labelled, and using these for inspiration to apply to your own garden. We appreciated the signs and their humorous contents!
The nursery is also well worth visiting. It is full of good quality perennial plants, all fairly priced. Some of the plants I have never seen in an ordinary garden centre so if you are looking for something different (I found the eupatorium I had been looking for) you might just find it. A fantastic garden to visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 June 2018

This was our second visit (our first being in August 2017) to these beautiful gardens and we took our friends who were visiting from Cornwall. The gardens were stunning with sights and smells that were a joy to the senses as you pass from one "room" to another in very informal settings. It is such a tranquil place (and not breezy at all on our visit).
The Peony Garden, June Garden and Cottage Garden were my favourites but I love every area of it.
Planning on taking another friend in a couple of weeks to share the experience with her. Very nice cafe too.