“Better than expected....”

Ranked #144 of 935 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$4 - US$22
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to your local pub! Whether you live near or are just passing by we aim to provide the best dining and drinking experience for customers of all ages. Breakfast is served everyday from 8am- 11.30am. Monday - Saturday our carvery is served from 11.30am to 9pm & from 11am to 9pm on a Sunday. All this runs alongside an extensive food menu, making us the perfect choice for all occassions! Sam, Aoife & the team are looking forward to welcoming you!
Reviewed 10 June 2013

After reading some of the reviews I was put off having a meal here but was convinced to go by my wife as she really wanted to try it. Must say it was a lot better than expected. Food was just your standard good value pub grub. I had a burger and chips. Portion sizes were large and taste good. The little one made good use of the indoor childrens play area. Great for kids, much better than a piece of paper and some crayons you get at most other pubs in the area.

I'd go again that's for sure...

Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

I am very surprised how this place is still so busy, and anyone can rate the food above a 3 is beyond me.

The food is very average intact I would go as far to say it's trying to be like whitbreads were 10 years ago, boil in the bag food, microwaved everything and partly cooked food to make it easy for the food to go out quickly.

I got ribs last time I went and a mountain of chips, not sure if this was to compensate to the tastless meat or to try and give me a wow factor to how much I got, I would rather have 10 nice chips to 30 soggy cold chips.

Compared to other places in York you get what you pay for here cheap and cheerful I guess that's why it's busy.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just walked out moments ago and given how much of a shocking experience it was, just thought I'd share.
Ordered drinks and food at the bar, no problem there. The starters of cheesey garlic bread (cremated with days old salad) and paté (on stiff toast with more deceased lettuce and friends) arrived within 10 minutes courtesy of a lad with the charm and social skills of a moron. Once we we're certain he was bringing us the food and not about to punch us were satisfied.

Starters attempted and left, the plates remained on the table for 25 minutes whilst the young staff wandered around chatting to one another and ignoring us. Eventually we were asked 'Are these finished with?'... NEVER! (Sarcasm reflects badly in writing)

A further 35 minutes pass, the place isn't particularly busy and the quiz is due to start, cue lots of noise over the microphone. We expected we'd have been finished and left by this point. Eventually my partner returns to the bar to enquire where he is informed that nobody has cleared with the kitchen that our starters were consumed(ish) almost an hour prior so our mains were going cold in the kitchen and had been for some time.

Complained to a manager regarding how appalling the service had been and received a refund.

About to try Toby Carvery....

1  Thank Nomnom85
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Ordered food and drink no problems, but the starter came burnt with old disgusting salad garnish that looked fit for the bin. Then we waited over 20 minutes while numerous waiting staff simply walked past our table and failed to clean. This caused a long wait for our main, which was so mediocre. For a new business this place falls far below the standards of any restaurant in the area.

We will not be returning when there is so much more choice locally.

Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

Waited a long time to eat here but always a full carpark in the early days.
Took my family tonight for tea, staff didn't seem to happy to be there and we thought the food was tasteless and bland.
Cake away was amazing though!
Maybe it will get better !!

1  Thank Tkbadger