“Sullen Staff, Luke Warm Food”

Hong Kong Chop House
Ranked #142 of 945 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the city, just minutes away from iconic landmarks including York Minster and The Shambles, Hong Kong Chop House serves arguably the most authentic Chinese cuisine in York. The restaurant is widely recognised for a range of delicious and authentic Chinese cuisine at wonderfully reasonable prices. Specialising in several Chinese cuisines including Cantonese, Sichuan and Northeast, we aim to present the true authentic Chinese cooking to our customers. In 2014, 2015 & 2016 we have been awarded a Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor. Our comprehensive A la carte menu are specifically designed to give you the widest experience of traditional Chinese cuisine. You will recognise not only the old favourites like Aromatic Crispy Duck, Satay, Black Bean and Sweet and Sour, but also some true authentic food which is very common in China.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I were visiting York, England recently with my mother. Her favourite kind of food is Chinese. So when we met my cousin and his wife for a meal on the Saturday evening we booked a table at the Hong Kong Chop House. It is in the centre of York, situated in the Swinegate and is on the ground floor so access is easy for those disabled people who may have mobility problems. We were originally shown to a table with benches on either side, but there is no way my mother would have been comfortable there so we chose a table in the window with chairs, instead. The restaurant is warm, but not particularly spacious and when I ordered a gin and tonic and was offered a gin and soda water in the absence of tonic, I suppose I should have been warned.

There were five of us at the table and the waiter decided the best time to take our order was when one of us was in the restroom! We ordered a variety of starters from vegetarian spring rolls to spare ribs, but they arrived very slowly and at varied intervals. However, the dishes were tasty when they arrived. There seemed to be too few staff and those that were there seemed more interested in the “take away” side of the business than caring for the patrons in the restaurant. We sat with the empty plates from our starters for a long time before they were taken away and it was even longer before our main courses came out from the kitchen, one at a time. Indeed, my cousin was presented with half of his meal and was nearly finished that before the rest of it arrived! My husband’s meal was a small portion and only luke warm at best. The serving staff were sullen, slow and humourless. The service was truly atrocious.

When someone finally came to take away our plates from our main course, after my cousin had asked them to do so, we decided not to have a dessert, we asked for teas and coffees. Even that was a challenge! The restaurant was out of coffee. Not out of a particular blend – they had coffee on the menu but no coffee on the premises. They also had no Indian tea. The offer was Chinese tea or Jasmine tea. Now I know this is a Chinese restaurant, but they are catering for a British clientele and not everybody enjoys Chinese tea.

However, having been to China several times, I am quite partial to it, so my cousin, his wife and I all had some Chinese tea. The teapot was quite pretty, however the tea tasted of virtually nothing, possibly dust, but nothing delicious. Either the tea was very old and dry or there was little tea in the pot.

So, could I recommend this restaurant? Not favourably. Would I go there again? Not by choice. Did I leave a tip? Yes, stock your restaurant properly and serve the food warm, timeously and with a good grace.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We regularly visit this restaurant , as always great food served with a Chinese smile. Food and service is excellent and the set meals are great value for money, we highly recommend it!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Coming to a nice place with my friend. We ordered one Szechuan tofu and one Pai Thai Hofon which were really delicious. Portions are really big and prices are reasonable. The waiter was so nice and helpful. We will definitely come back.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

First time in York, so relied on trip advisor reviews to choose a good restaurant. I am vegan and my partner a meat eater, Chinese and Indian restaurants are usually great for vegan options, but not this place.
The menu is very limited for vegetarians and vegans, vegetarian starters were soup or vegetable spring roll. As a vegan I know that Chinese soups often have egg in them, so I explained that I am a vegan and was assured there was no egg in one of the soups. It arrived, and I started eating, only to find after about 5 mouthfuls that the bottom of the bowl is full of pork!! Not cool. I complained and the waitress did apologise profusely, I tried not to get angry, and just said it was fine. I then had vegetable spring rolls, which were very fresh but had no taste at all. The main was fine, I had broccoli in a ginger sauce and that was tasty, although I had to ask for extra rice as the portion was small. My boyfriend is a meat eater, he had ribs to start, and said they were fine, quite tasty, but nothing to write home about, he had a fish dish for his main which he enjoyed.
Apart from being fed meat, we would not return because of the awful atmosphere. We arrived at 6.30ish, and were the first people in, there was music playing extremely quietly, so we were almost in a silent room, and the waitress watched us as we looked at the menu, it felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable. Towards the end of our meal other people arrived and we started to relax a little, but until then we were basically sitting in silence, with our conversation being listened to by the waitress.
I would say the first rule in any restaurant would be to understand different dietary requirements, to be able to advise accurately, which this place failed miserably at.

3  Thank VeganReviewer123
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Third time we've eaten here, the place is small and well decorated and food is lovely and amazing value.

It was quiet when I dined here last a couple of weeks ago on May bank holiday Friday at about 9pm. We didn't care though as the food is excellent quality for the price but that's not why we went back. The service is attentive but not overbearing.

The food is fresh, plentiful and good quality, NOT CHEAP. But the bill is!

We will be returning. Again.