“If Carlsberg did camp sites...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
The Hideaway at Baxby Manor
Ranked #3 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
Birmingham
“If Carlsberg did camp sites...”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I join the long list of people reviewing this site as being outstanding. Regarding the recent poor review I suspect this person had an axe to grind. I stopped for just one night but will be back for a longer stay. I was in my own tent and due to the rain did not use the firepit. The pitch was lovely and the site beautiful. Barney is clearly driven and has high standards. It is probably the best site I have ever been to. The utility block is, as others have commented, simply outstanding, like a hotel. Ignore the reviewer claiming it was wet and unclean- he's talking nonsense.
It's brilliant and I will certainly return this time for longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A secret hideaway is what every family needs now and again....put away those tablets, laptops and embrace the countryside. We have been to many campsites and this is one of my favourites.
The fantastic communication during booking process and welcome as you arrive make you feel at home before your holiday begins.

The layout is open, spacious but still maintains a small friendly feel that you want on a family holiday- knowing your kids are safe to wander within boundaries.
Clean and toliets do not usually go together on camping trips- but these are spotless, people are respectful and keep to the rules.
The firepits are the main highlight and kept us toasty warm...just don't forget those marshmellows!
Overall a super, family friendly site which we will be visiting again and again....just book early as I think the secret is getting out !
Well done to Barney for keeping it so well maintained and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Hannah K
Arnside
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

LOVE love LOVE this place!
Ok, now I'm not one for camping, to be honest, tents do my head in a bit and Imuch prefer the luxury of a hotel or B&B with all your usual luxuries like tv and what not, but I took my 3yr old son as he loves any kind of outdoorsy type thing....And boy did he love it!! So did I!!
We found it no problem (Barney's directions on the website are spot on), and Barney greeted us with a warm friendly smile, told us all the basic stuff like logs for sale, wifi, about the fairy lights in the lodge etc, and then we went off to our ecopod.
Wow!! It's fantastic! Comfy bed, pretty little jars for tea lights, fairy lights all around the inside (very pretty!), brill fire pit for warmth/cooking, little decking area to sit on (or for my son to play cars..!) and a really good distance from any other ecopod/tent. We took a duvet and an extra blanket and we were more than warm enough at night. :-)
The toilet block was fabulous and way better than many nice hotels I've stayed in-shower was lovely and warm, and it was all really clean and tidy (I'm also a bit fussy about 'clean' toilet areas, and this place was fab. I don't know what the previous reviewer is on about with 'water everywhere' and dirty?). It was spotless when we went!!
There is a 'drying room' where we left our wet gear to dry overnight.
For anyone else a bit like me who likes life's little luxuries - there are plug sockets in the drying room (next to a mirror) and the pot wash room where you can charge your phone, use hair drier etc. Also, there is free wifi based in the little shop which extends a bit around the site so that was a bonus! Great if like me you needed to use it for sat nav on iPhone to find nearby places.
There is a pot wash room with a big fridge and two freezers, and in Barney's little shop he sells usual little nik naks like ice creams, sweets, kids toys, and basic stuff like toiletries etc. Also at the entrance to the toilet area there is a rack full of useful tourist info type leaflets like places to visit etc, as well as info about local bus times, vets, what's on in local village and at the Hideaway itself etc.
As a woman on her own travelling with a little boy I felt really safe here, and everyone we met was really friendly. We didn't venture out to the local pub or anywhere in the immediate vicinity so I can't comment on that, but we did go to York which took abt 20mins by car - if you have kids pleeeease go to the Railway Museum- it's amaaaaazing!! And free!
All in all this place is fabulous and has definitely converted me to glamping!! Such a shame the previous reviewer had a bad experience- please don't let his review put you off- we thought it was amazing (even in the rain!) and we will definitely be back !!! Thank you Barney you've done a smashing job with this place! :-)

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ShonaArnside
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I arranged to stay here with my daughter for a weekend break, having never seen a holiday resort of any type (camping or otherwise) with such good reviews. Well, we thought it was great (despite the rainy weekend).

The fire pit provided for each pitch is an excellent touch and many marshmallows were toasted during our (dry) Friday evening!

Facilities are spotless and the shower room would put many a hotel to shame. The pot wash included a fridge and freezer that were free to use - really useful.

The site would suit people who can entertain themselves as the camping is the main event, it was great to be outdoors and we didn't need much more than that. There is plenty to see nearby with the City of York and the Yorkshire coast just a short drive away.

For fear of causing further embarrassment to Barney the owner, I can verify that all previous reviews suggesting he is a good fellow are also correct.

Loved it.

Room Tip: Sleep quality and rooms are only marked as average because we took our own VERY average tent! The gl...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Spent a couple of nights in one of the Hideaway's bell tents. The tent was beautifully presented and equipped with all the camping must haves including crockery, cutlery, bbq tools, a gas stove etc. The site itself was very clean and really well presented with good facilities such as the pot wash room, drying room and fridge/freezer for guest use. The little shop had all the essentials at reasonable prices.

As we were staying on the Saturday morning, the local butcher came to the site and we were able to buy fresh sausages and eggs for the perfect weekend breakfast. Touches like this, make this a stand out campsite which we would definitely return to in future and would recommend wholeheartedly!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Just had a fabulous 4 nights camping at The Hideaway. My partner and I will definitely be visiting again! We especially liked the fact that each pitch had a fire-pit, as we could sit out until late with a few beers and gaze at the stars in front of the fire. Lovely surroundings and facilities 10/10.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Spent a couple of nights camping at The Hideaway over the Easter break, Barney is a very accommodating host, the facilities are top notch and the campfires were an added bonus. The feel of the place is fabulous and will definitely return for more stargazing and roasting marshmallows over the campfire

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
Camp Katur
Camp Katur
#1 of 2 in Kirklington
York Holiday & Cycle Stop

Been to The Hideaway at Baxby Manor? Share your experiences!