“Driving a lamborghini was amazing.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 6th Gear Experience Ltd Elvington, York

6th Gear Experience Ltd Elvington, York
Ranked #4 of 21 Outdoor Activities in York
Cheshire
“Driving a lamborghini was amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Had an Amazing afternoon. Bought this supercar day for my daughters 18th birthday. The staff were lovely so friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend anyone to go do this, good fun.

York, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Excellent Thrills - A Bit Hacked Off With The "Extras"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Had a brilliant 50th birthday experience and thought that overall it was value for money - given the thrill.

Bought my son an accompanied lap with an experienced driver in a 2 seat Arial Atom as an extra on the day - a little expensive but the look on his face and his memories will last a lifetime.

The "extras" for what really is compulsory insurance, photos, a DVD etc were very steep and took a little gloss off things as it felt like we were being "sold to" as a captive audience all of the time.

That said, the Instructors were excellent and it was a well run day - even though it was busy.

My only observation to others would be to listen to the Instructors and floor it on your laps - too many people seemed to be driving like they were taking a supercar to Tesco - what is the point if that - go for it, you are in good hands and it is much better and what the day is for after all.

3 Thank YorkTraveller1962
SG54LAM, Director of Sales at 6th Gear Experience Ltd Elvington, York, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a balanced review.
I'm glad you and your son enjoyed your day with us.

In fairness to your comments about our optional extra's I would point out that the damage waiver, photo's/video etc are all optional and many of our customers simply enjoy their drive with us and don't buy anything whatsoever.

In reference to your opinion about the extra's prices being 'very steep' I'd cite the photo's at £35 for a full CD of all the pictures on the day as a good example. When you consider we employ 3 professional photographers, invested over £140,000 in a fully equipped media truck staffed by 6 people plus the associated software and £15,000 of high tech camera's etc I really think £35 for a lot of stunning images is very reasonable.
Finally your point about other drivers driving slowly. We find most customers do simply just wish to experience the supercars and not try and drive flat out. Most people haven't driven powerful supercars before and are pretty nervous. That said our instructors will do their best to encourage customers to get the best from their drive.

Hope to see you again soon

Simon George
Menlo Park, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Small, but well done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

If you're an aviation buff, or a WWII buff, this is a great visit -- lots of aircraft from before an after WWII as well. Wonderful local docents.

Visited June 2014
Your review is of the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington not 6th Gear. Therefore I have asked Tripadvisor to remove it.
Norwich, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great day at Elvington!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a great day on Saturday at Elvington. The 6th gear staff were very friendly and helpful and the whole day was organised really well. My boyfriend drove the Aston Martin DBS and he really enjoyed it, we then had a fast lap driven by one of the instructors which was great!

I would highly recommend this company if you are looking for a driving experience as a present for someone.

1 Thank Joanna M
Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Thrill Drive!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

i bought my Husband "A Ferrari and Aston Martin Driving Thrill" for Christmas which we used yesterday on Fathers Day. We went along to Elvington along with our 2 daughters where we had been on other occasions and yet again it was greatly organised.
My husband found it great fun and he had always wanted to drive an Aston however he found the Ferrari much more of a thrill.
To complete the fun me and my daughters went in a Ford Focus RS on a "hotlap" we all found it great fun and would love to do it again!

I would recommend it as a great gift and a fun day out for all!!

Visited June 2014
SG54LAM, Director of Sales at 6th Gear Experience Ltd Elvington, York, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thanks very much for your comments. I'm glad you had such a great time and look forward to you returning again soon.

Simon George