“Friendly, Mature & Fun!”

The Little Hide - Grown Up Glamping
Ranked #16 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
Durham, United Kingdom
“Friendly, Mature & Fun!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here with my Girlfriend at the end of October for a get-away.

Very easy to find, and access.

I enjoyed every part of the holiday, I think the only downfall was the showers, not that they were bad, but they were not as powerful or as hot as I would of liked them on the cold night we stayed, then the journey back to your POD gives you the chills.

They are very warm, the pods, they're well insulated and they provide a nice Oil-Filled radiator which you can keep on to keep the entire pod warm, within half an hour the radiator is already hot and the room is getting to temperature.

We Ventured into town, the return trip on the bus was very cheap, however there was a park & ride even cheaper just a couple of miles down the road, and busses were every 10 minutes or so from various points in the city.

City is very nice, lots of shops which sold unique items, a favourite was the Chocolate Shop & Vom Fass.

Never had any problems, however the reception is open at some weird times, and there was no set check out policy.. We just locked the key away in the little key store, then went. There should be some clarification on this! :)

Overall a great stay and I will be returning, for a get-away like this again.

Another note, the beds are just two singles joined together using some sort of clasp, there is a growing split in the middle of the bed which makes for an uncomfortable sleep with a couple. But the bed positives outweigh the single negative.

Thanks Alot!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lichfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was really excited to stay there and as im not a great camper i was proud of myself for taking the plunge half way with some glamping. im also a hobbit and the look of these pods made me excited.

When we arrived there was no-one there to book us in so i thought i would look in the managers office and saw my name on a board with a piece of paper i presume that was for me, a key code was inside and so we dorve up to our pods.

The pods were great but on a cold night the trip to teh toilets was a bit dodgy and we foudn ourseleves holding it until morning.

When we wanted to check out we couldnt. we had to hang around until 11am because no one was around to take the cash i informed them of in advance i would be paying with which delayed our days travelling we planned to our next destination. We had to wait for the canteen to open and my lord they were not happy about doing it. they called the lady who dealt with the pods who didnt say two words to me but took my money and left. breakfast was awful and the staff who served it seemed as if they would rather us leave..so we did.

i had a long list of people waiting for me to get back so they could book it up and i had to let them know that they should look elsewhere. im not hard to please and all things can be solved with a smile...when you want to.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank Lisa H
Bridlington UK
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Amazing
Fantastic place. 8 pods all equally as nice.
Warm & cosy in winter
Showers & toilets spotless
Booked to go again
Nice farm shop for breakfast
100% recommend it
There is a shed with a fridge which you can use. Mugs etc as only a kettle in pod.
Looking forward to going I the summer

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for a night whilst visiting York! What a lovely place it was, it was easy to see that the whole place was looked after impeccably well and had a very nice feel to it. We really liked our pod which was clean and tastefully furnished, it was also nice to have the decking out the front and the communal BBQ area for anyone that wanted to mingle, I would definitely recommend The Little Hide to anyone looking for a nice break away and would definitely think about booking the whole place for a function! 10/10

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RyanP26
Isle of Man
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was a bit worried when we booked the pod but was pleasantly suprised on arrival, the place was easy to find, closer to York centre than I had thought, extremely clean and well maintained, the pod was nice and cosy even though it is mid November and the shower block was nice and clean and shower had warm/hot water. security was good, we had breakfast at the farm shop 2 minutes round the corner from the pod which was superb with friendly service, the young lad that served us was genuinely friendly and no false smiles.
Basically cant fault it at all and will be returning when I visit York again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed over with my fiancé for the weekend and it is a lovely place to stay but there was a few downsides to it in my opinion the service wasn't that great.. You were given a piece of paper with your pod on it and told to go down the road and it's on your left.. I camp a lot and always have done with family and always been shown exactly where our plot was and if there were any questions we had.. We were just left to our own. Secondly when we actually got to our pod we realised it was not a double bed (as requested with booking made a good few months prior) but two singles pushed together.. Was a huge letdown as your purposely there to spend some time with your partner and to have to sleep in two single beds and if you moved you fell down the gap in the middle made sleeping quite impossible on the first night! The only other thing was that on our way back to the site on a evening until you got past the farm shop there was no lights at all so you were in complete darkness.. Apart from those things it only cost us £8 in a taxi which is good.. Overall ok for a one night stopover but not for a weekend away.

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here with my boyfriend as a nice little getaway to York. So quiet, was easy to find with the SatNav on my phone and we loved every minute! The facilities were immaculate. A great place to stay if you are visiting York - was worried as the weather deteriorated over the last few weeks that we might be cold - wasn't a problem! The Pods are well insulated and the heater is there as an optional extra, even in the cold winter it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Our only (small) gripe was that the double bed was in fact made from two singles put together - understandable for the set up of the Pods for ease of convertibility but wasn't to our taste. Not sure if all pods are like that or not. It was easy to get into York and back there is a bus stop just outside and a taxi back cost us £9.50 from the city centre.

Overall highly recommended - more value than I would class from your usual 'glamping' idea.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple