“Mixed Thoughts”

Holgate Bridge Hotel
Ranked #76 of 193 York B&B and Inns
“Mixed Thoughts”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our arrival was greeted in a friendl'ish manner but the minute we had booked in the lady disappeared to her own quarters before we had chance to check everything was o.k. We had lovely rooms but felt the bathroom could do with a little more attention, namely shelving or somewhere to place your toiletries etc. There were two hairdryers supplied but no socket, as all the mirrors were placed for a 6ft person I had to unplug the tv, kneel on the floor, use a small make up mirror to dry my hair, not ideal really. On Monday there was a change of staff, the atmosphere at breakfast changed from impersonal to friendly. The breakfast was excellent and could not be faulted, I think a bit more tweaking here and there this guest house could be excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
York
Reviewed 30 May 2014

A very clean, comfortable hotel. The staff were friendly and amenable. The beds had the most comfortable pillows I have ever slept on. A bonus for me as I have a neck problem. Breakfast was good, and they had very tasty sausages. Only one minor gripe and that was that you could hear the water system as people used loos or had washes in the early hours, but it was not a terrible problem. Overall a very pleasant stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Roger M
Essex, UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked a room for my son and myself and was delighted to discover that there was a double bed plus a good-sized single as I had envisaged us having to share, The room was good-sized and clean and the beds very comfortable. I had read a review warning about the noise from the road but, even though our room directly overlooked a busy road and I am sensitive to noise, we didn't find it noisy or in the least bit disturbing. I sometimes wonder quite what expectations people have of budget-priced hotels! The hotel is situated at a convenient distance from the railway station and city centre.

Upon arrival we were given maps and clear instructions of how to find our way to town (we'd arrived by taxi). I'd forgotten to pack my hairdryer and thought I'd need to go out and buy a travel one so I cannot tell you how pleased I was to open a drawer and find not one, but TWO hairdryers: something not mentioned in the blurb. There was a good TV set and excellent wifi - something that was important for my son and his iPad! The shower room was clean and the sink sparkling. We both had showers, which was easy to operate.

The breakfast next morning was lovely - generous and well-cooked and the staff were polite, friendly and keen to please despite it being so busy. Nothing was too much trouble for them and the service was quick. We had a fantastic time in York, and were given tips on places to visit. Our suitcases were held for us on our final day so we could make the most of our last day before returning to collect them, Not all hotels do this, and some charge so it was another plus.

The warmth and friendliness of everyone at the hotel made an enjoyable stay even more so, and should we return to York we will definitely be choosing the Holgate Bridge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mandy G
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

stayed 1 night room 15. bed was shocking sagging matress and bass not supportive. mildew around bottom of shower and shower door. broken soap holder. dirtybathroom walls, which could have been rectified for a few pounds
great staff, very friendly excellent breakfast. shame owners let staff down for tatty room and shocking bed
really hope that owners do something, and support their amazing staff

Room Tip: back room was very quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I needed somewhere cheap and central for an appointment in York. Arriving quite late I wasn't sure what to expect but the Holgate was lovely. I was greeted very warmly and made to feel at home straightaway. The room I had wasn't particularly large but it was a bargin and was perfectly fine for me. I was told when booking that I'd have to share a bathroom, but I ended up with it all to myself, so I couldn't really complain about the walk across the landing!
Breakfast was really lovely, the hosts keep trying to feed me toast and it was a nice chilled out atmosphere.
I'd highly recommend if you'd like a reasonably priced, b and b pretty close to the centre of town. The only slight downside was the busy road at the front which did admittedly keep me awake longer than I'd hoped but with the price and location I can't really complain!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alexandra F
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

If Alex Polizzi reviewed this place she would say it is struggling with its identity. It is trying to be a hotel and a bed and breakfast, but is achieving neither.
Don't get me wrong, its not a bad place, it is definitely not one of the best value for money hotels I have stayed in and neither is it one of the best b&b's I've stayed in.
For example - if as the name suggests, it is a hotel; then it is the only hotel I know that does not provide soap in the bathroom, nor "do not disturb" signs for the door; there is no telephone in the room and no room service and the towels were different colours - okay so its not a hotel.
So if I review it as a b&b, it's ok. The room was pretty grotty, the carpet and sheets had lots of dirty marks on them, the electric socket extension was not ideal, the shower was dirty and the head would keep sliding down, there was plenty of previous occupants hairs in the bath and shower; the toilet roll holder had broken off a long time ago etc etc.
Okay now the good points. Breakfast is okay (except no background music so its as quiet as a doctors waiting room!). The Italian chef is great, he definitely cheers the mornings up; the other staff could learn a lot from him. Plenty of parking, although it gets tight when full. Walking distance to York City centre is mainly flat but a good 15 to 20 minutes at a brisk pace.
Most of the staff are polite.
Value for money it is okay. The view from outside is very nice.
Unfortunately this place needs a lot of tlc on the inside; it has lots of potential but in its current state it does not deliver.
For what it is worth I would suggest either get Alex to come in and sort it for you, or decide whether you want to be a hotel or a B&B and focus on improving that, because in my opinion (take it or leave it) you are trying to achieve both but actually achieving neither.
Would we stay here again - no sorry.

Room Tip: Some rooms share a bathroom. We had one included with the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GazBouch
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights and very happy with our stay. Room four was clean,tidy and cosy. The bed was a proper double and not two singles pushed up together as we've had at other hotels!! the on suite bathroom was spotless. Breakfast was well tasty and filled us up for the day. Many thanks to mark, Pascal and the rest of the staff for an enjoyable stay and would highly recommend. Will be going back in the near future..

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple