“Wed night live music!”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We were struggling to find a pub in York with live music on a Wednesday night. Stumbled across this place - had talented local acoustic acts, all free, great night and great vibe!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

....Popped in the Hop for a drink, great local Ales & a good choice from the bar, friendly staff and the Pizzas looked good although we didn't eat here we are still kicking ourselves that we didn't try the pizzas.
We will visit again when in York

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Lively pub selling a good selection of real ales, with the added attraction of availability of freshly made pizza and (on some nights) live music. The quality of everything is very high (try a pint of the Ossett Silver King) the prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is always 'buzzing'. My only concern is that it might kill off the historic (and charming) Bluebell pub, which is directly over the road. I make it a rule that if I visit The Hop, I give The Bluebell some custom, too (well, it's a good excuse for another pint!).

Reviewed 22 July 2014

On our son's recommendation, we came here to eat while he went out on the town with his friends.
Great beer, very nice white wine spritzer and superb pizzas from the 'unexpected' pizza oven in the back room.
I've had two or three really great pizzas in my time. #1 was from a van in the market square of a Pyrenean village, but the pizzas here were certainly the best we've eaten in a restaurant.
I had the Bosco (made with italian sausage), Mrs had the Tropicale.

The pub has a really great atmosphere too, with the buzz of conversation filling the place. It looks like they occasionally do live music too, so it'll be worth checking that out too.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

An excellent selection of ales and wines complimented with an unusual selection of pork pies. Good entertainment and a trendy decor.