“Quite good hotel restaurant”
Review of Tempus Bar - CLOSED

Tempus Bar
Brisbane, Australia
“Quite good hotel restaurant”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Like the hotel the restaurant is pretty good but is lacking that last 1%. My wife and I stayed here 2 nights and ate here on the 1st night because its easy and we were tired.

The food was very nice and the service was attentive. We were satisfied with our meal here but feel there are others in York that are worth a visit before this

• Visited March 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Curate's egg”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My roast chicken with boulangere potatoes and savoy cabbage was very good. What looked like an unappealing Bisto-based gravy turned out to be a sauce with a lovely, intense flavour. The chicken was moist with a good, crispy skin. Vegetables were good too.

The Eton Mess missed the point completely - it was a tidy arrangement of all the constituent ingredients! Mini meringues - a bit chewy, out of a packet? two dollops of strawberry ice cream with some extra squirts of strawberry syrup; fresh strawberry halves (with their leave still in) uniformly placed among the meringues around the rectangular plate; squirts of cream. If it had been served in a bowl, I'd have been tempted to fillet the strawberries and mash it all up in an attempt to make something resembling an Eton Mess. And it wasn't great to eat even as a dessert - like a smart version of a combination of deserts you might have get in UK coastal beach cafe.

Then a 'cappuccino' - one of the worst coffees I've had for years. I couldn't drink it. And at £3.95, it's nearly twice as much as a really good coffee in Dalston London (eg Betty's Coffee or Tina We Salute You). The waitress gave me some mumbled explanation about what might have gone wrong in the making of it and did offer to take it off the bill. Then, the next day when I was running a training session in the hotel (of which this restaurant is a part) we had free access to a hot drinks machine - you put your cup under the tap thing and press a button. I chose cappuccino and it was exactly the same as the one in the restaurant that costs £3.95 - I think that's outrageous to charge so much for something so cheap and rank.

The final touch was to go through all this with a nauseous soundtrack of Christmas songs on some kind of random loop settings. And this was a cheesy selection including the sloppy side of Elvis, Beverly Sisters-style ones and, the most palatable, a blues one but at the smoothest end that came round three or four times, but was grateful each time that it did. At least it didn't contain the McCartney, Greg Lake, Slade, Lennon, Roy Wood, etc Xmas abominations!

But the chicken was very good.

• Visited December 2013