“Disappointing Lunch”

Ranked #12 of 64 Coffee & Tea in York
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Family run tearoom, with homemade Scones and Cakes and serving a selection of Yorkshire sourced food and drinks in a great location in the middle of York, just a few steps from the famous shambles.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Staff were very friendly and very good service, decor lovely. However, mushrooms on toast very salty, Flat White - turned out to be hot milk with hint of coffee, used my friends filter coffee dregs to top up to try and make stronger. Coffee cake had hardly any coffee and apple and cinnamon slice was quite small and there was no cinnamon. £13 a head we felt was too expensive for what we had. Wanted to pass on these comments before leaving, however place very busy almost too busy.

3  Thank B00kw0rm7

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Lovely place staff accommodating , food fabulous. Visited twice during wkend stay. Will definitely be going here again. Have been recommending 2 friends.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

It was lovely to walk through the door and have such a warm genuine welcome from the doorman. Made you feel special , ive not come across this in a cafe before and its such a nice touch.It was full downstairs and we had a pram and two kids so was not sure if they cud accomodate but there was no problem he found a corner to hide the pram and we were ecorted upstairs where there were other folk too. It felt like we had space to gather our thoughts after getting away from the crowded york streets. I wasn't sure if I'd like the soup of the day broccoli and Stilton I asked if it was strong cheese because I'm scared of Stilton! anyway the waitress offered to let me try before I chose , they were busy but it was no problem to go and get me a try. The service was just lovely it's a thing a lot of places don't do anymore and it's nice to have a smiley face from all round .The only thing and its not critisism is a few little crayons or a small toy corner to keep the kids occupied.It isn't a big space so I can understand why there is not one but just a little toy or something to bring to table to keep them occupied would add the icing to the cake..no pun intended! We loved our visit the food was lovely the service was spot on and refreshing ,other places could learn a lot from here. We live within 20 miles of York and next time we come in will be visiting again. Oh yes by the way. . . The taste test went well I ordered the 'scary cheese' and broccoli soup and it was beautiful along with the fresh bread bun. Thanks again and we will be back. . . Just hope we can get a seat after telling you all how good it is. . .!

2  Thank pomplemoose
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a lovely little cafe, had a wonderful cream tea and soup. Very good service which included a doorman!

1  Thank Matilda m
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We called in for breakfast on a miserable Wednesday, Chloe's is very welcoming, with a good mix of regulars and tourists and newcomers like ourselves, I had Yorkshire rarebit with bacon, and my wife had a full English, both were fresh and tasty. Unlike others think the bread was fine. . . We visited after hearing about Chloe's from the York pantomime, and are glad we tried it. My breakfast was finished off with a piece of lemon drizzle with cream! What more can you ask for lol, get yourselves along and try it for yourself!