“A very atmospheric stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #41 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Derbyshire
“A very atmospheric stay”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed on a Saturday night in January with my fiance and parents (we had a small double bedroom and they had the Belfry).

We had an absolutely brilliant time, the rooms were quirky, cosy, warm and full of character and atmosphere. Good ale, food was delicious and the staff very attentive and friendly. We felt as though we were given special treatment as guests in the inn but this may not have been the case.

The inn is lit by gas lights and candles and is a popular bar and restaurant as well as place to stay. This did mean that the evening was very noisy and it wasn't possible for us to have a seat with our drinks before the ghost walk!

I must stress though that none of the above detracted from our enjoyment of the inn. My only complaint would be that the website does not accurately portray the stlye and ambience of the inn. It is a VERY old building that has been decorated and modernised sensitively but still creaks, slopes and creates a high risk of banging your head. The website also implies that the inn is a calm and quiet place to stay; it is in fact a lively (but still relaxed) pub that is open until 12 and so if you are staying on a night when the pub is busy you will not have a peaceful evening (if you want goo d music and good food/drinks you will be happy!).

In conclusion, we had a brilliant time and would recomment this inn to anyone who wants to stay in a historic, atmospheric, comfortable, lively, friendly inn.

Thank you to the staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SmilerDerbyshire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
East Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 January 2012

To celebrate our first wedding anniversary, my husband and I decided to go back to The Guy Fawkes Inn as we had stayed there before & thoroughly enjoyed our stay. This time our stay got off to a lovely start, we had already chosen our room - one of the two rooms in the former stable at the rear of the pub - which was as it had been on our previous visit.
The staff greeting us were friendly and kept our bags for us as the room was not ready when we checked in, and they later put them in our room for our return. The room was clean and warm, despite it being very cold outside! The staff later that evening were also lovely, we were chatting to them at the bar & they even allowed us to have a pudding even though they had officially stopped serving food.
We had absolutely nothing at all to complain about until around 3am when loud crashes of bottles in binbags came from right outside our window. We were aware that there was a night porter who stayed in the bar area throughout the night, but not that cleaners would be working. The noise obviously woke both of us up, and with it being winter we assumed it must be later than we thought - it wasn't! This commotion carried on for at least 30mins and I am sure that other guests will have been disturbed by this too as it's in such a peaceful location.
We voiced our disappointments at breakfast the next day to the girl who had been working behind the bar the previous evening who could not have been more apologetic, and who said that they obviously have to take the bottles out to be collected for rubbish, but that they should most definitely not have been doing so at such an unreasonable hour and that she would talk with the manager.
My husband emailed the manager, who replied with apologies and who offered us a 25% discount - which we of course be using to stay again in the future. This is a lovely place, perfect for the city centre, sightseeing, restaurants etc, it's just a shame that this particular visit was spoilt by noise!

Room Tip: Request one of the rooms outside in the former stable - they're huge!
1 Thank kitty81cat
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed here at the beginning of December with three girlfriends for a 50th birthday. We stayed in the Belfry which is right at the top of the building. It has a large double bedroom and a sitting room which doubles as a bedroom. It was lovely, full of character, lopsided floors and beams with a stunning view of York Minster. We didn't have dinner here but had a full English breakfast which was really nice. The first time I've eaten breakfast by candlelight! Reasonably priced also.
Mind you I've just looked at staying for Valentine's day for two nights and it was £328 for a double room! Yes, the rooms are lovely but this is extortionate so we've booked elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TSHart64
Lancashire
Reviewed 6 January 2012

The Guy Fawkes Inn is a lovely place to stay with alot of history, it is right across from York Minster minutes away from shops and eating places. The staff are lovely and the breakfast is fantastic my husband really enjoyed the bkack pudding! Our room was clean with a double and single bed in, lovely big shower and flat screen tv very comfortable. The bar area is small but got lots of real ale and cloudy cidar with hubby took a liking too! We stayed 3 nights over Xmas and would stay here again with question it was nice and relaxing. Negative side is there is no parking but there is a car park about 10 mins away which the hotel has vouchers for at a charge of 5 pounds a day.

5 Thank Phester56
Chesterfield
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We went to the pub new years gay. I ordered the fish and chips and found a lump of metal in the batter which looked like the back of an ear ring. I nearly broke my tooth chewing on it and I am just glad I didn't swallow it. The staff apologised and gave me a replacement meal but I think it’s unforgivable to find contaminants in food particularly metal. I've worked in the restaurant trade and I found the attitude of the manager less than supportive and only mildly apologetic. He only offered my food for free not the rest of the group who picked at their meals for fear of what they would find. After the metal incident I did not have much faith in my meal nor did my fellow diners. The meal was ruined and a complete waste of money. I would never go back there again. It’s a real shame as it’s a beautiful pub with plenty of character. If there is metal in the fish batter what else could be in the food?

Room Tip: Didn't stay there just ate, DON'T ORDER THE FISH.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matt B
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Me and my partner stayed here for a week in January of last year excellent is all I have to say, the food was great the it's who worked there were lovely infact I even booked my parents to stay there for Christmas gift

Room Tip: Try and get the court yard upstairs
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Superdiner85
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Guy fawkes Inn. it is a lovely quaint building with lots of history in a great location. The breakfast is excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. The room we had was roomy and very comfortable with a great choice of drinks. Particularly useful was the decaff coffee . If I was to be picky the bathroom could do with some maintenance - small crack in the sink and the sealant round the shower quite black in places. This did not stop us from enjoying our stay - and we would consider staying again.
Perhaps next time we would request a room not at the front due to the noisy dustbin trucks coming round in the early hours of the morning and making a great deal of noise!!!!

1 Thank redwine38