“A lovely stay in York”

Ranked #43 of 193 York B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay in York”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My partner and I spent 2 days in York and decided to stay at the Guy Fawkes. Worried though when I read some of the reviews which suggested that the hotel wasn't clean etc.Also mixed reviews about the meals!

Let me reassure you if you're thinking of staying there - it's a little treasure. Of course, the floors aren't even and the decor is old fashioned - it's an old building!! Yes, there was a bit of noise from the bar but you're staying in a pub for goodness sake!!

The room was lovely and as we left, it was about to be redecorated. The staff were very friendly, the location couldn't be better and the food was divine. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was fantastic, breakfast was also great and all in all the value for money was unbeatable.

The car park, for which you buy a voucher, is a bit of a walk but then you are staying right in the middle of the city where parking is at a premium.

If you want somewhere where the rooms are all identical, the ambience is clinical, the food is just okay and the cost sky high then don't stay at the Guy Fawkes. However, if you want somewhere with a bit of atmosphere in the centre of town and with tremendous value for money then I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a four poster, is quite large and overlooks the Minster. We stayed in Room 3 which was sl...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane C
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
thankyou for your review it is greatly appreciated.
im very happy you enjoyed your stay and understood what we are trying to achieve here at The Guy Fawkes Inn.
we very much hope to see you again in the future
general manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Mililani, Hawaii
Reviewed 17 April 2013

It's different! We wanted different. We didn't want a typical room. We wanted character and I feel that is what we got. Our family arrived around 1:30pm and although check in wasn't until 2pm, our room was available so we were able to check in a bit early. After reading some other reviews, we knew to check in at the bar at the entrance of the pub. Check in was super quick and we were shown to our room up in the attic. We booked the attic suite (The Belfry) and it was quite a climb with all of our bags. If you have mobility issues, I would not recommend this particular inn unless you can book a room in the cottage out back. I would also not recommend this room with children under age 5 unless you can keep a keen eye on them at all times.

The attic suite was perfect for our family of four which consisted of my husband, two children ages 15 and 10 ad of course myself. The main bedroom was separate from that of the children yet easy to get to. Once up the attic stairs, you can turn left and there is a small seating area as well as coffee and tea making area then you can enter the main bedroom which has plenty of storage, a vanity, and a full length mirror. There was a small portable heater in case we were to get cold and although it was a bit loud, we were thankful for that the first night. If you were to turn right at the top of the stairs, this takes you to the bathroom which has a spa tub but no shower. This wasn't a problem for only a couple of nights. The other room has a TV, Playstation with games, and two pull out sofas for the children. It also boasts a gorgeous view of the YorkMinster across the street. The comfort of the beds left a bit to be desired. The pillows were great but the beds not so much.

The room itself was quiet for us even when there was a lot of action at the pub in the evening. We heard absolutely nothing coming from down there nor the garden out back. However, from the children's room, you could hear things at night when it was quiet. This was only on the first night as they were just getting settled. Overall they slept very well and had no issues.

I would be a bit concerned in the summer months as there was a can of wasp and fly spray in the room just in case. I could see many different areas up there where such flying creatures could get in. I would not be a fan of that and I do think it would affect my stay whereas it may not bother some at all.

The rooms are a bit old as someone mentioned but that is to be expected. I felt they were kept very clean and service was absolutely amazing! There were plenty of towels provided as well as new toiletries, coffee, and tea provided each day. You will have to watch your head and your step up here in this room but we found it to be a fun quirky experience.

Breakfast was provided each morning. There was coffee, juice, yogurt, cereal, and pastries out each morning and then you had an option of several items on the breakfast menu. We had the full Yorkshire breakfast and it was quite tasty. The dining area can get quite cramped as it is small but it was nice to dine by candle light for breakfast each morning. We chose to have dinner there one evening as well and although the menu options were small, the food and service were both fabulous! Absolutely no complaints! We loved it but I think we wouldn't have wanted to stay more than 3 nights.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nicmo9702
thankyou for your review.
we hope to see you again in the future.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

No heating room 10 moved to room 7 no heating, given oil filled heater electric fan heater paint on duvet bath dirty. Manger tried his best but spoilt stay, given refund. The bar had candles and gas light that was quite good.

• Stayed March 2013
we are very sorry that your stay was hindered by our heating problems over that weekend.
i hope that this would not affect you from returning to us in the future.
we offer our sincere apologies from all of the team here at The Guy Fawkes Inn.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife had made a reservation for the two of us to stay at the Guy Fawkes Hotel in January this year as a birthday treat for me and it didn't disappoint. Check in time is normally 14.00 but we arrived at a little after 9.00 in the morning to drop our bags off and then went out to explore the sights. I realized at around 11.00am i had left my tablets in my case so went back to the hotel, sorted that out so had a drink in the courtyard of the Guy Fawkes, very relaxing. We got talking to the house keeper and once she realized we were going to be stating made it a priority to get our room ready --what service and very pleasant and polite with it.
I slept like the proverbial log, breakfast was a real treat as the Chef makes his own Black Pudding which was the nicest i have had in a long time, we also stayed for Dinner on the Sunday which was first class but they take last bookings at around 5.45 / 6.00pm which is a bit on the early side. Overall, a fantastic stay and a big thank you to all the staff who made it such a memorable time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
thankyou very much your review is greatly appreciated.
a huge thankyou from all of us here at The Guy Fawkes Inn.
hope to see you again in the future.
(general manager)
east yorkshire
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my 50th birthday- fortunately it was the finale of a wonderful long weekend full of joy and love and laughter shared with all those dear to me. Had it been the only thing to commemorate the event I would have been suicidal. Without wishing to offend my fellow reviewers I struggle to accept we have all had the misfortune to stay in the same place.

The room was small, the four poster bed's drapes were missing, the window left open on a freezing cold day. The noise from the bar through the floor at 6am was dreadful. The cold breakfast the uncooked black pudding was disgusting, the second attempt no better. The smell of bleach overwhelming, from the 'bathroom' which had been squeezed into a cupboard.

Good things were few and far between
-we had our bag carried to our room.
The location is amazing. The champagne was waiting in our room as ordered but spoilt as an open window left the room too cold to enjoy it

When we came to pay the manager/
Staff member ? acknowledged the problems we had had although we had not enlightened him about them, he could only have been aware of the returned breakfast, offered us the champagne on the house by way of apology.

I have emailed the hotel with full details, I was so upset it helped get it off my chest but I am still waiting for a response. This review is only a part of the dreadful experience.

York is such a transient place so many only ever visit once in a lifetime so it doesn't matter whether the hotel makes an effort or not. A few complimentary bottles of champagne are probably viewed as collateral damage, which makes me feel so sad that customers prepared to spend their hard earned money but treated with complacency.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank comfortlover63
Essex UK
Reviewed 8 April 2013

In this case, the 'Book Cover' is very good. However as you look deeper, all is not as you would hope. The rooms are decent enough, although pillows leave a lot to be desired. Cleanliness isn't paramount however. The insides of drawers were filthy. As were the floors, my socks were black.The other residents have the ability to spoil your stay, particularly if anyone is above you. Walls and floors carry sounds easily. The breakfast is ok but sparse. One morning I asked for boiled eggs and soldiers and the eggs were hard boiled. Our tea was luke warm and weak. No tomato ketchup available for our first breakfast, small gripe but annoying. Kept having to ask for more butter and toast as though rationed. We noticed prices double from july onwards...we only hope for the survival of the business, that all these bad points will be made good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kath B
West Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a night in the belfry suite, the reality of this pub with rooms is somewhat glorified by the websites photography. The suite is right at the top in the eaves of the hotel, which is accessed by the main staircase which is on an angle, seriously sloping. We reached our room to be greeted by a can of fly & wasp killer??? Italian fabrics would be better explained by possibly out of a packet from Dunelm Mill?? (I'm guessing). The tv in the lounge area had a broken remote, we got replacement batteries but still no joy so were stuck to one channel, good job it was channel 4. The bathroom fittings were cheap, plastic bath and cheapest of plastic loo seats. This is essentially a pub with rooms taking advantage of its location and yorks hotel rates. The kids did love the nooks and crannies, but don't think we'll be back.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
thankyou for your review your review.
we are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay on this occasion.
hope this would not stop you from visiting us in the fututre.
(general manager)