“Fantastic room and excellent atmosphere”
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #40 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband booked a room here for our wedding anniversary. I knew as soon as I walked up to the front door I was going to be impressed. The whole atmosphere is amazing. Our room was fab - dark wood panelled walls, wonky floors, four poster bed, crooked pictures - all added to the atmosphere. We had the most brilliant view of the Minster and in the morning we were awoken by the Minster bells. Our breakfast was gorgeous and we were attended to quietly and efficiently. Our table was lit by candlelight!! You should visit here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetoeatout28
shane w, General Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thamk you ever so much for this awesome review.
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our quirky settings.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best Wishes
Shane Wood

Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Arriving at the hotel we acknowledged there was no parking so my fiancé pulled outside stuck the hazards on and I ran in. I waited ten minutes for the gentleman to come to the bar and help me as he was too busy talking in the kitchen. Once we got sorted we parked in the ncp car park which is a short walk away. The car park coincidentally runs out at 10 in the morning and check out is at 11 one ticket is £7 and if you wanted to stay longer you would have to pay double.

The gentlemen I feel could of been more welcoming on arrival as the feel for the hotel is so cosy and I feel he was blunt and slightly rude.

We stayed in room 3(four poster), and the view out the three large windows was spectacular and made the room so romantic. The furnishings were lovely and in keeping with the room. The only downfall I believe was the miniature bathroom, very firm bed and the creepy sign creaking outside our window ( as it was very windy). Although I may be seen to be very picky I manage a four star hotel myself and do believe that there needs to be more encouragement towards the staff to ensure a quality service, this is because all they spoke about was wanting to go home and who was going home early.

Enough about the negatives, the hotel itself it designed beautifully and is in such good keeping of the theme of guy Fawkes. I cannot fault the cleanliness of the hotel, the decor or it's position within York. One of the regular guests was amazing at recommending nice bars and restaurants so for that I was very thankful. Overall I enjoyed my stay but don't believe the room was worth the full price of £120 which was at a discount.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
I have looked into the issues you have brought to my attention and all staff have now been given extra training on the check in station.
we would certainly love you to visit us again and witness us at our best.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Had a very nice meal here on Saturday night with my daughter, and we where looked after very well, all in all it was an enjoyable night in a cosy pup with good food and service and a must if you visit YORK also good value will visit again very soon

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review.
we pride ourselves on our customer service so it is always nice to have positive reviews.
look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We often used to go for a drink to this pub a few years ago and it was amazing! It is now a disappointment. The large back room that used to be used as seating for all paying customers is now reserved just for diners. This meant standing in a small corridor with many other people having a drink whilst there were at least twenty empty seats in the back room.
I understand that this is to make sure there is room for people who want to eat, but common sense would suggest that you allow people to sit there until you need to use the table for customers buying a meal. My friends and I would have gladly moved if we had to. Instead we had one drink and then left.
I also asked the bar maid what a couple of the beers were like and she didn't seem to know anything about them. I was really looking forward to this visit and it was such a let down.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review.
The restaurant is always very busy, although it may have looked quiet at the time you wanted to sit, i assure you that we had tables booked for arriving guests.
As we carry a 1AA rosette award it is all part of our dining experience.
I am sure that you will understand that diners dont want to be surrounded by drinkers while they are eating. there is seating in both of our front rooms and also a large courtyard with plenty of seats for our drinking guests.
I certainly hope you understand and would visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

this is my second trip in the space of a month, we love the place. the rooms are spotless and cosy, the bath is perfect, the staff are friendly and can't do enough for us. York is a beautiful city and The Guy Fawkes is the perfect accommodation to relax and enjoy every minute. I recommend room 10 :-) we're going to come back in 2 more weeks for another short, heavenly break.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank thesmilingtraveller

Thank you ever so much for your amazing review.
We will be very happy to see you again in the near future.
Best wishes

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We have often drank in the pub but we have never stayed so I booked a room for part of my partner's xmas present. We stayed one night and I requested a minster view room with four poster bed (we got room 7 on the top floor and highly recommend this). Room was fantastic, very large with great views of the Minster. We also noted how quiet the hotel was at night and even in the mornings the bells from the minster were not as loud as we expected.
On sunday evenings there is music on, a singer which was nice.
Parking is about 10 mins walk away and reasonable. We parked outside the Minster stuck the hazards on whilst I ran in to get parking permitts.
Check in was 2ish, could have been made abit earlier but we had no probs with this.
Check out 11am, if you speak to staff before midnight you can request a 12pm check out free of charge which we did and were grateful for.
Breakfast was nice however only 1 piece of bacon for the full english which felt abit stingy! Apart from this food was lovely and room was lit by candlelight.
I really recommend staying here and think room 7 was a great stay!
Staff were also fantastic and really helpful.
We also had our bags locked away for us after we had checked out so we could have a wander before we returned home which really helped us out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

thankyou ever so much for this incredible review.
look forward to seeing you again soon.
Shane wood

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed for two nights last weekend. Generally excellent experience. Beautiful old building. - we had room 7 which was very spacious and had a beautiful view of the Minster. Bathroom was small but pertectly adequate. Bed not the most comfortable in the world but fine. Location couldn't be better. Breakfast was good and candlelit dining room was delightful. I think that ones experience of this hotel will depend on expectatiom, it is very much an (admittedly upmarket) pub with rooms and you will have a great time if you don't expect the kind of service and facilities that you would expect in a four or five star hotel. The only real issue was that the staff are rather overworked, running very busy restaurant and pub and with no dedicated reception area or reception staff for hotel and this resulted in slightly slapdash service at times - although very friendly and keen to please.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a four poster bed and view of the Minster. Is on second floor.