“Expensive beer and too many people scanning smartphones” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #42 of 205 York B&B and Inns
York
“Expensive beer and too many people scanning smartphones”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I like to pop into the bar of the Guy Fawkes from time to time because of their range of real ales. Its plus points are that often foreign visitors stay at the hotel or pop in for a drink as it's close to the Minster and I have had interesting conversations with travellers from many countries. Its negative points are that 75/80% of the time you don't find foreign travellers in the bar, just couples whispering to each other and English visitors browsing the web on their smartphones in utter silence. The beer is also expensive - £3.90 a pint (!) now, in February 2014.

Room Tip: I have never stayed at this hotel , just visited its bar.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
shane w, General Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hello there
Thanks for your review.
I constantly manage our prices with our direct competition in the area and feel we are at a competitive price.
I certainly hope you will not be put off by customers using their phones or talking to each other.
Shane Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Came here for a meal on a Saturday evening.

Had a table booked so we were seated right away.

The service was great, the atmosphere was very relaxed and the food was amazing.

Both of us had the pie for main course which was delicious

Would definitely come again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thankyou for such a great review.
Our pie is somewhat a local delicacy and receives such amazing comment.
Did you manage a whole one.
hope to see you again soon
cambridge,england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed for one night this weekend as we were at an event in the Minster and so it was fantastically convenient. We knew it was an "inn" rather than an "hotel" so the noisy bar was not a surprise. The music stopped just before midnight and was reasonably quiet by 1215. We were in Room 5 on the first floor described as an Executive Double; frankly it was extremely pokey, a little care-worn, a tired bed, and had a depressing view of roof tops and broken gutterings; it was not in the least bit "Executive". In addition, I did mention to the staff about the rather smelly drain in the bathroom. The breakfast was freshly cooked and efficiently served; we also had a lovely lunch the day we arrived.
In conclusion, I would say that whilst there are clearly bigger and better rooms/suites, I do feel that £170 is a great deal of money to pay for Room 5.

Room Tip: Do not chose an Executive - if location is important, pay for a suite - take earplugs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello there
Thank you for your review.
room 5 is the smallest room in the house but i feel it is well equipped, maybe next time it would be an option to upgrade to one of our larger rooms with fantastic views of the minster.
our prices are constantly monitored to be competitive with our competition.
We certainly hope you would give us another try.
broken bridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked a table in the restaurant for Sunday lunch , it has a very eerie but warm atmosphere.

The room is lit by candles so it's pretty much dark so you can't really see what you are eating.

We all ordered Sunday lunch but they give you a menu to look at if you fancy anything else , it isn't a vast menu but there is a mixed choice .

My partner ordered chicken dinner and I ordered roast beef , the chicken was moist and tasty but the beef was as tough as old boot , I couldn't even cut through it even though it was pink in the middle , the roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding was very nice .

The service was friendly but we had to wait a while for our order to be taken and the food to be brought to us .

Overall we did enjoy and would try it again as the ambience was perfect .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.
I will speak with my chefs about the beef and make sure that this is not a reoccurring situation.
We would certainly hope that you give us another try.
Hope to see you again soon
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here in July and were very disappointed. The room is at the back of the bar and in Guy Fawkes old house itself so we expected sloping floors etc. What we didn't expect was the plastic feel to everything. It could have been done so much better. The location is superb shame about the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't stay here far better places for less money.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank monty1012014
Thankyou for your Review.
I am having trouble understanding some of your comments unfortunatley, as one thing we certainly do not have is a plastic feel.
all our furniture is antique and our free standing baths and sinks in the room are certainly not plastic.
our quirky setting is not always to everyones taste.
Filey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband booked a room here for our wedding anniversary. I knew as soon as I walked up to the front door I was going to be impressed. The whole atmosphere is amazing. Our room was fab - dark wood panelled walls, wonky floors, four poster bed, crooked pictures - all added to the atmosphere. We had the most brilliant view of the Minster and in the morning we were awoken by the Minster bells. Our breakfast was gorgeous and we were attended to quietly and efficiently. Our table was lit by candlelight!! You should visit here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetoeatout28
Thamk you ever so much for this awesome review.
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our quirky settings.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best Wishes
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Arriving at the hotel we acknowledged there was no parking so my fiancé pulled outside stuck the hazards on and I ran in. I waited ten minutes for the gentleman to come to the bar and help me as he was too busy talking in the kitchen. Once we got sorted we parked in the ncp car park which is a short walk away. The car park coincidentally runs out at 10 in the morning and check out is at 11 one ticket is £7 and if you wanted to stay longer you would have to pay double.

The gentlemen I feel could of been more welcoming on arrival as the feel for the hotel is so cosy and I feel he was blunt and slightly rude.

We stayed in room 3(four poster), and the view out the three large windows was spectacular and made the room so romantic. The furnishings were lovely and in keeping with the room. The only downfall I believe was the miniature bathroom, very firm bed and the creepy sign creaking outside our window ( as it was very windy). Although I may be seen to be very picky I manage a four star hotel myself and do believe that there needs to be more encouragement towards the staff to ensure a quality service, this is because all they spoke about was wanting to go home and who was going home early.

Enough about the negatives, the hotel itself it designed beautifully and is in such good keeping of the theme of guy Fawkes. I cannot fault the cleanliness of the hotel, the decor or it's position within York. One of the regular guests was amazing at recommending nice bars and restaurants so for that I was very thankful. Overall I enjoyed my stay but don't believe the room was worth the full price of £120 which was at a discount.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
I have looked into the issues you have brought to my attention and all staff have now been given extra training on the check in station.
we would certainly love you to visit us again and witness us at our best.