“would we stop here again” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #41 of 205 York B&B and Inns
burnley
“would we stop here again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

we booked in for an extra night in york and we got a deal on a four poster room, the room was a little small but it was clean,although it lacked the quality finish that you would expect for a room that can go out for over a £130.00 per night, it may be said that the rooms are old and full of charachter, but you can still provide quality finishes. On arrival we were dealt with by a efficient ,polite and helpful member of staff, unfortunately i did not get her name.
In the evening we decided to eat at the inn so we booked a table and went into the bar to get a bottle of wine,how hard work did that turn out to be,my wife went to the bar and was totally ignored by the two staff that were on,one was more worried about the cider pumps that had gone off and the other guy was having a problem with another member of staff who could not operate the till and then they all walked off, in fact a contractor who seemed to be doing work behind the bar offered to go and get a member of staff.We eventually were served and we waited to go into the dining room.The food quality and service could not be faulted in fact the lady that ran the restaurant was excellent and breakfeast was the same.
We retired to bed only to find that the matress on my side was lumpy and did not help my nights sleep,I was not that bothered as i was looking for a haunting during the night, and boy did i get one. You have to remember that this place is not a hotel its a pub with bedrooms and until the pub closes you will hear the customers and the music especially if you are in the bedrooms over the bar and on the front which we were.As we were on the front street we knew there would be some noise from revellers going home but we did not expect it to go on all night, the other thing to bear in mind that when the steets are quieter they echo and the revellers talk louder. the first lot of noise i heard sounded like a hoard of maurauding vikings and i thought this is my first haunting but as it got closer i was soon dissapointed and that disappointment went on.
At 3.20am i heard movement from downstairs in the pub and i built my hopes up again for a haunting only to realise it was the night porter moving furniture around downstairs and then i herd the brush going round,at 3.36am i herd a dull buzzing noise outside which was getting closer,is this a roman legion marching down petergate, unfortunately not it was the noisiest road sweeper/washer ever and what a time to do it, at 4.02am a ghostly bin truck appeared and started to empty the shop bins and then proceeded to use the rear crusher and compacter, its not over yet the road sweeper/washer returned for another go.at 4.20am the pub bins were taken out onto the main street with a loud banging and crashing of doors.I was hoping it was a ghost hunt returning late but dissapointment again.The other annoyance is that cars go up and down the road and did do for most of the night.
Please be aware that if you are a light sleeper you may find it difficult in a town centre, although there are certain measures that the inn could take.
The Inn has a lot going for it but the rooms can be expensive and personally if i was paying the top room rate i would have felt that the value for money element was lacking.

Room Tip: Wait for the deals. and sleep at the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
shane w, General Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
thankyou for your review.
Firstly i would like to apologise for the issues you have raised this is not normal practice here and as you can imagine some things happen that are beyond our control.
We had the contractor in to fix a problem with the glass machine and were having to hand wash glasses at this busy time caused quite a problem and we had run out of glasses.
I am sorry you felt you had been ignored and will speak with the staff on shift that evening.
as for the noise this is something beyond our control and i am sure you are aware that staying in a city centre inn which could not be more central you are always going to encounter the noises of city life. unfortunately to sound proof a building of this age would be quite a task and would almost certainly not be allowed by the council to change certain factors to attain this being a listed building. i do hope that you would consider staying with us in the future.
Kindest regards
Shane Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We went for food here.. We weren't expecting much as it was quite dark (as it would have been back then)
We got the food.. And it was mind blowingly good..
Amazing food.. Definitely going back for my birthday next month!!!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
thank you so much for this awesome review.
just let us know if you want any special requirements for your birthday celebrations
we shall look forward to seeing you then.
Best wishes
General manager
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Let's be honest this inn sits in an unrivalled place in York. You literally fall out of the door and land in the Minster - it's that close. It's an amazing old building, so if you like uneven floors, squeaky doors and candles to light your way then you'll get the full experience in this place. I had a 4-poster room and it was big and spacious. Bed was comfy but the windows didn't open very well and it was stuffy. Bathroom was a disappointment for a 4* place, cramped and basic, with a very, very odd smell.

Breakfast was ok, but the milk for cereal was left out and warm. Service was ok.

Car parking is a bit of a trek, and we were actually directed to go back up a one-way street by a member of staff - not clever.

Generally, nice if you like spooky and creaky. Wouldn't rush to stay here again.

Room Tip: 4 poster room on top floor had good views of the Minster - even if sat on the loo! (Forgot to shut...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your comments speaking so highly of the location and atmosphere here at Guy Fawkes. We pride ourselves in maintaining the rustic and historic feel of the building. Being in such a central location does unfortunately entail that we cannot offer our own parking.

I am sorry to hear that you received some misinformation regarding the parking and the bathroom was not to your liking - as a general rule our staff are well trained, informative and helpful, and guest rooms well maintained. We appreciate your constructive criticism and would love to see you again. We would of course do our utmost to ensure you have the best possible experience with us this time around.

All the best,
Shane.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

After leaving this Establishment just today I had to get on the computer first thing and write a review for this wonderful place.
This was our fifth visit to the Guy Fawkes inn in over two years and the stay keeps getting better and better.
Check in was a breeze, a young gentleman on Sunday dealt with our booking very fast and efficiently and was happy to look after our bags until we returned a couple of hours later after some sight seeing. On our return, he was very happy to show us to our room which was the attic suite known as the Belfry suite. Even though we had explained it was our fifth time staying he was still very enthusiastic about telling us about the room and some recommendations of places to visit. :)

During my families visit we had breakfast four times and personally I was thrilled with the attention we received. Nothing was to much bother. The gentleman and the lady who dealt with breakfast all this week were a real delight and nothing was to much bother.
Even during Tuesday mornings breakfast when they were both catering for 11 people, they never faltered once, even during this busy period. My families breakfast orders were always correct and basically their attention to detail was on point.

Sadly, we left today. But checking out again was a breeze. The gentlemen carried our suitcases
from our room all the way to the reception and that consisted of three flights of stairs so I was grateful to him for that. The Guy Fawkes Inn is a wonderful place and I truly recommend them for a visit.
My family and I have booked to stay again in December for four nights and I'm now counting down the days. Truly perfect place, thanks again to The Guy Fawkes Inn Team. :)

Room Tip: The Belfry Suite, worth every penny. :)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving us this truly amazing review.
We hope you will be back soon
Kindest regards
Altrincham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Firstly I have to say that the inn is in a great location. It is a lovely old building full of history and character. We stayed this week for one night. We had purposely booked a room with a four poster bed, but there were no 'curtains' around the bed - just the four wooden posts. Our room is in fact pictured on their website clearly with curtains surrounding the bed as one expects with a four poster bed. The room itself was very large, but was very, very dusty. The mirror on the dressing table does not stay upright so it couldnt be used for its purpose as it faced downwards, and for me personally the mirror in the bathroom was too high, but I am very small!
Dinner was good as was breakfast, but we felt the accomodation is overpriced, and not worthy of its 4 star rating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thankyou for leaving us your review.
It is dissapointing to hear you did not entirely enjoy your stay.
I will do my best to improve the issues you have raised.
Kind regards
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Ate here on a Monday lunchtime at the end of June.
Pub was very busy however the staff were very friendly, efficient and hard working. The menu was varied to suit all tastes and our lunch selection was delicious.
Recommend a visit..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thankyou for leaving us a review.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and would love to see you again soon.
best wishes
Milton Keynes, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

We did not stay here as it was way outside our budget plus we are English so we have stayed in enough spooky, squeaky floored places in our adult life.
We returned to the GI to have dinner. Recommend you book as last time we were in York we could not get a table. We booked online for 7 and were a bit early. Shane was the restaurant manager and gave us a warm welcome despite being early. We were treated to excellent attentive service throughout our meal. Cutlery and wine glasses were scrupulously clean (pet hate of mine so always noticed). Water with ice and lemon brought immediately. We chose Very nice Argentinian Malbec reasonably priced at £20 ish and decided to share the black pudding and crispy won ton starter at around £6. It was huge so we were glad we shared wanting to leave room for the cheese selection. No chance of getting to that when the main courses arrived! I hastily withdrew my order for an extra side of chips when my steak pie arrived! See photo. It was not only amazing to behold in sheer size but the taste was truly gorgeous. I had been informed upon placing order that it would be about 25 minutes and this is why. NOT a bowl of stew with an undercooked puff pastry cap! A proper raised pie, slowly braised tender pieces of beef in a crispy buttery pastry that was so thin it's a wonder it held together. Melt in the mouth and properly seasoned. It was tipped with tiny onions and mushrooms and gravy. The mash had such a buttery flavour that you could smell it before you tasted it and then it melted on the tongue like a soft buttery cushion! Only minor criticism was that more gravy was needed which, had I bothered to ask, I am sure would have been available from the ever helpful Shane! Hubby had the belly pork on chorizo stew. Absolutely gorgeous. The crackling was not crispy on the top but there was a cheffy addition of two pieces of crispy skin poking up from the plate.
The pork was perfectly cooked and all the fat was rendered away during the slow cooking process.
We could finish our meals and actually laughed mischievously
When we watched others dig into two massive starters and then two pies! Needless to say no cheese was eaten.
My pie was £12.95 and the pork £11.95 and that is great value.
I will have the same starter again because the combination of flavours was to die for and I will not share it. I will go for the three way cooked pork even if I cannot eat it all. It looked amazing.
Great venue lit by gas mantles and candles.
Don't go if you like contemporary, light and open dining! Why should you eat here? Go there for old English inn atmosphere, candlelight and great British food. Staff were wonderful and even though there were only two of them, no one was left waiting.
What would I change? Wine list was a bit limited in my opinion but there was enough.
Linen napkins as everything else is real class for a pub restaurant although this is plucking at straws!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Lisa S
shane w, General Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thankyou ever so much for your kind words.
It makes me so happy to receive such comments, not only for myself but for the rest of the staff that work so hard to deliver the best possible experience for our customers.
I am delighted that we delivered and that you enjoyed your meal here with us.
Hope to see you again