“13th Time Unlucky!”
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #43 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I have just returned from my 13th visit to the Guy Fawkes Hotel, York, My first since it has been “Refurbished” and unfortunately probably my last.
From the difficulties making my reservation to the problem checking out my 3 day stay was filled with repeated glitches and a great disappointment.
As mentioned earlier Myself and my daughter have been frequent visitors and have recommended dozens of people to the Guy Fawkes, but I would be embarrassed to do so now.
My initial contact was in March when I booked an overnight stay for 17th April, only to be contacted a few days before to say the refurbishment wasn’t finished in time. We then amended our booking To November and for a 2 night stay. Then after many, many unanswered phone calls finally in august I got through to amend the booking to include an extra night, making 3 in total. The booking confirmation had to be sent 3 times as it contained errors on each occasion, finally on the 3rd attempt it appeared correct. On checking in last week I was told that my booking was only for 2 nights and not 3, luckily I had a copy of the confirmation with me. The receptionist kept saying that now they were over booked.,.not my problem!
What was my problem though was standing in the bar/reception area it was in utter darkness, apparently this lends to the ambience, however totally impractical when it comes to reading or signing anything!
What had once been an open and airy bar area was now in total darkness, everything in the room, included the painted floor was black.. It is horrendous!
We were finally allocated room 3, at the top of the winding staircase, which had previously been beautifully carpeted, but you guessed it, the carpet had been removed and the stairs were painted black, however there was carpet on the landing, which was covered in dust and pieces of chipped off black paint from the stairs we had just climbed.
On entering room 3 my heart sank, more dark wooden flooring. Dark wooden panels on the wall, all rather coffin like.
The bathroom was the one thing that had not been touched in any way and was all white and shiny, with its power shower. The bed too was very comfortable. Nice TV with Freeview but to my horror the kettle was placed on a shelf directly under the TV! Surely a disaster waiting to happen.
The disaster that was waiting for us became apparent when we had to fight to get through the bar area after a hard days shopping to discover that was had previously been a quiet hotel was now actually rooms above a PUB! It was full to bursting with young loud and drunk people, who got louder as the evening passed. The door to the bar is directly under room 3 and banged constantly throughout the evening. On returning from a meal out we now find a “Bouncer” on the door! The noise was almost unbearable, people sitting on the stairs drinking, shouting and then a pub quiz started!
Once the bar had closed which was way passed 11 o’clock, those who had spent all night together drinking in the pub, now stood underneath our window, shouting for the next half an hour.
Having stayed here many times we are quite used to the very early collection of rubbish and glass bottles in the morning, however what we were not used to is the moving of heavy furniture just after 6 every morning, as tables chairs and large items were moved from the night before.
During our 3 day stay we were locked out of our room 3 times as the Card key stopped working, we then had to queue at the bar to get it going again.
On checking out they tried to charge us a £120 more than the confirmation said.
Apart from the accommodation nightmares our weekend was excellent. Fab food, shopping and a real Christmas spirit.
I feel that the Guy Fawkes has completely lost its way and it is such a shame.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank barbara107

Reviewed 21 November 2008

What a wonderfull and quirky place! There isn't a square, level or perpendicular in the whole building which gives it great charm. So atmospheric in the Tavern downstairs... Dark corners and gas lights with fantastic features.

Accommodation is excellent. Great views over the Minster (Room 7 is a must!) Tastefull decor and sumptious fabrics.

Only downside is eating. Guy Fawkes doesn't serve meals on Friday and Saturday - not metionned on website. They claim to have priority reservations at the De Bretton Family restaurants. Not so! Unable to book at Harvilles despite being assured when we booked that we could. Our eating plans for the whole weekend were laid to waste. Beware!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2008

We arrived at Guy Fawkes and the staff behind the bar must have realised we were checking in (big bag on my shoulder) and quickly diverted their attention to us. We were shown to our room on the ground floor in the courtyard which was amazing, huge bathroom and a great big bath. We then had to go and park the car (there are no parking facillities at the hotel) the young lady gave us directions and we found it no problem, I was even given the cash to pay for the parking!
On returning we settled in front of the fire and enjoyed a lovely meal, well presented if slightly over portioned ( i am rarely beaten by a meal) They have a number of ales on handpull and the lady behind the bar seemed to know the character of everyone of them. I had to oblige and spent much of the evening working my way through them taking her advice as it was given. My wife was enjoying the fruit wines and even they come with a personal recomendation and some tasting options.
I was glad we didn't have stairs to deal with at this point as we retired for a good night sleep in a very comfy bed. The only downside that I can see or hear to our room was the continous noise from the kitchen fans which started up again at 7 o'clock in the morning. This and the distance to park means I can't score it with a 5.

Breakfast was excellant and plentiful and a good reason to come back by itself.

Overall we were really well looked after and its great to see proper British hosptitality at work in a proper Inn.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2008

After staying at Marmadukes on business, I wanted to treat my husband for his birthday - which also happens to be our wedding anniversary. We arrived on Friday 31st October to be told that we wouldn't be able to pay by credit card as their machine had broken, so could we arrange to pay by cash or cheque on departure. We were shown to our room, overlooking the Minster. Lovely room - spacious with a four poster. On the complimentary drinks tray there is a long note about where the bottled water is sourced from and how much etc, but could we leave the glass bottles once finished. There was no water, so I went down to request some. I was told that the machine was broken and I could have a jug of tap water. What machine?
The previous comments about the noise from the street are well founded. It is obviously the route home for clubbers etc - very noisy. However the bed was extremely comfortable, so if you're going to be awake most of the night you will be comfortable! And the refuse collection is very, very loud at 6am!
Breakfast the next day was a disaster. We weren't told anything and if I hadn't gone out to see the receptionist (who was eating a bowl of cereal at the bar) twice we would still be sat there now. We didn't know there was juice and cereal in the bar to help yourself. We didn't know what breakfast was served. We discovered from other guests, who had clearly been waiting a while that the chef was off sick. We eventually got a cooked breakfast which we didn't get a choice in! I spoke to the Manager who is really young and he apologised and told me there would be no charge for breakfast. He clearly hadn't told his check out staff, because I was asked for the money!
All the staff are really young and the crowd that drink there seem either very young or hardened drinkers! We only had one drink in the bar on the first day - it wasn't the sort of place I would want to sit for an enjoyable evening. Which is a shame, because upstairs is lovely. The service and the bar area let this place down.

1  Thank ShopperCheltenham
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We booked two rooms at the Guy Fawkes Inn for our wedding - one was for us on the wedding night, one was for my parents for two nights. The rooms were booked ten months in advance. When my parents arrived the day before the wedding, the room to which they were shown was not the one we had booked. It was accessed via an external iron fire escape and had virtually no wardrobe space. Only at my insistence were they moved to another hotel with the Guy Fawkes Inn paying the difference. Worse was to follow on our wedding night. The manager was made aware that we would be arriving back late. We entered the hotel at ten past midnight to find that our key card did not work and the night manager had no idea how to rectify this. Our bags were in the room, my wife was in her wedding dress and we had nowhere to sleep. The night manager was unable to contact the hotel management and I had to insist that he fetch a member of staff from a sister hotel to sort this out. When help arrived, my wife - who by this time was in tears - was laughed at and told that crying would do no good. Half an hour after we arrived, we finally gained access to the room. The room was lovely but this did not make up for the trauma which had been caused. In fairness, the hotel did not attempt to charge us and offered us a free night's stay in the future, but this situation should never have arisen.

4  Thank peter4lc
Reviewed 26 October 2008

The hotel tariffs have gone up but the standards have gone down.
Breakfast was a disaster waiting for over an hour on one occasion due to 'sister' hotel guests coming to the hotel for breakfast and then being served the wrong breakfast. The supervisor at breakfast was confrontational and unprofessional. The breakfast waitress however who seemed to be over worked and stressed was very appologetic.
Saturday night was a disaster with a full blown domestic arguement breaking out at 12:30a.m between two residents which was allowed to continue without any intervention from staff members.
Don't expect to get a drink at the bar in the evening because it is overrun by non residents with no provision for residents.
Guy Fawkes had definitely plotted against us having an enjoyable and relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Palyanthis
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Spent one night at the Guy Fawkes Inn when we were visiting York. We booked a four poster bed room and got it cheaper then the standard rate as we booked through laterooms.com.

On arrival I had to park on double yellows and leave my boyfriend in the car while I went in to ask for the parking permit. On the late rooms website it said a parking permit would be issued and also when I rang the hotel directly they also told me to go to the hotel first to pick up a permit. On doing so I was given directions to the nearest car park and told they do not issue parking permits, they just refund whatever we pay. I was slightly disappointed with this as we could only pay for parking until 8am and had to get up early to walk to the car park to buy another ticket for the rest of the morning. On saying all that, the parking was the only bad point of staying at this hotel.

Our room was in the cottage at the back of the inn. You have to walk through a small courtyard and then up some iron stairs. On entering the room I let out a little wow which I think the lady showing us to our room was used to as she laughed quietly!

The decor was gorgeous, very grand but also felt quiet cosy and homely. the floors sloped a bit but it all added to the character and what do you expect from a building as old as it is!

We had a large bathroom with a free standing bath AND separate power shower. The bathroom was also decorated lovely. Room and bathroom were both clean and I cannot fault the staff who were very approachable. The included full english breakfast the next morning was very filling and cooked to order so was very fresh and hot.

All in all a fantastic hotel which I would definately return to. Im thinking about arranging an anniversary trip there for my parents aswell as it made such a great impression on me