“great weekend with Guy Fawkes”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #42 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Blackpool
“great weekend with Guy Fawkes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

We stayed for 2nights, Friday and saturday! Got a great deal where we got our B and B at half price! The deal was to book a meal for one of the evenings at one of their group eateries, which we did for the friday evening at Harvilles in the town.
Firstly the Inn is very difficult to find as our sat nav took us to the top of the street which is not well signposted and in the day it is bollarded off! The best way to get round it is to put the address of the Dean Court Hotel ( best western group)into your sat nav , as you arrive at that hotel just look right down the street to the right...which again is bollarded off and the Guy Fawkes Inn is the second building into the street, over looking the minster and you will have to pull up in front of the bollards to unload your bags and then drive to the carpark!
The Inn is as previously stated is dark but we loved it, the ales and especially the mulled cider was fantastic, you will have to try it! We had room 11 which is out the back in its courtyard and is named "Guy Fawkes Cottage"....it was fantastic with stone flag floors, warm colours in the room and a large bathroom! The bar staff were great and very helpful, the breakfast staff did seem disorganised and it was not very smooth running and if they forget to tell you...the cereals and juices are on the bar...help yourself!! We had a further experience at their Harvilles Restaurant which we had booked for the friday evening to get the deal! A lovely place, wonderful cocktails and lovely staff, but im afraid our dressed crab was off... my 8oz steak turned up looking like a very small piece of coal and my partners medium rare steak practically ran back to the kitchen it was that rare! The staff were so apologetic and i did truely believe them that this was a rare event, they could not do enough for us. We actually decided to leave at this point and offered to pay for the drinks we had had but they said that they were on the house and yet again apologised and said they would phone the Inn and explain that we would still get the half price deal!!
Despite this we would not hesitate to stay again at the Guy Fawkes as in general our stay was great and we would book the same room again!
Thankyou Guy Fawkes Inn, we will be back!
Sarah and Andy x

• Liked — location and ambience
  • Disliked — disorganised breakfast service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlackpoolSarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2009

My partner and I decided we would go to York in the New Year. It would be our first trip away together and it was quite a big deal. After searching the internet I came across the Guy Fawkes Inn and immediately fell in love with it. It seemed just what we were looking for. So I told my partner and booked it. We booked the Petite Double Room with bed&breakfast and champagne, to be left chilled, in our room on the first night.
I was really excited about the trip until I stumbled across this site and found some very mixed reviews. I was gutted. I felt awful, anticipating the Inn would not be as wonderful as I'd imagined.
I kept schtum to my boyfriend however and tried to focus on the positive reviews.
We got a taxi from the train station which was only about £4(inflation my dears). I'd advise getting a train as oppose to driving. I was intending to drive but there really was no need. It was far cheaper.
The location of the Inn is unbelievably handy. Directly opposite the Minster,you couldn't be closer to the centre. We walked everywhere: Castle Museum, Jorvik Centre, Dungeons. I am not a fan of walking at all, I never walk anywhere! But it was all so close and it was so nice walking around the city,looking at the architecture etc.

Once we arrived at the Inn all my worries washed away. It was perfect:just as I'd hoped. The whole of downstairs was painted in a very dark brown and it did take your eyes a while to adjust but alongside the dark ornate wood furniture, slanted doorways, real Ale and candle-lit dining tables it really set the mood and you did feel as though you were back in the 17th century Inn.
The checking in process was quick,simple and easy and we were kindly shown to our rooms and helped with our bags.

The room was possibly on the small side but just right for us. We had afterall booked the smallest room so we didn't imagine it'd be mammoth in size. It had a lovely antique wooden bed with beatuifully soft comfortable sheets. It was a little creaky however. The other furniture in the room was lovely: a rocking chair, side cabinet and large chest of drawers topped with a huge marble slab. There was a kettle(location of kettle isn't close to a socket so it did have to be moved) and a good array of hot beverages. No biscuits though so take your own if you're a 'dunker'. There was also no phone in the room, so as to call Reception.
The television was great-a large flat screen jobby attatched to the wall,with Free-view.

The bathroom was nice. Well decorated, like the bedroom, with a good shower cubicle. The L'Occtane toiletries were a sweet touch too.
The doors to the bathroom however left quite a large gap when shut. It didn't cause us a problem but it may do to those wishing to retain some dignity, modesty and an air of mystique with their partner.
There wasn't a lot of room to put your towels once used. You could fit one on the radiator and that was about it.

A note to the more portly guest booking the petite double room: the gap between the bottom of the bed and the wall is a bit slim. My boyfriend had to do an amusing side-step every time he passed through. I could fit through normally but I did have to breath in a bit and stand on tip toes!

As people have mentioned, the noise really does carry. I heard nothing from anyone else rooms however or through the walls. But we were only a flight of stairs up from the open bar area and each night we knew when it was last orders because the bell would ring so loudly and and you'd hear the bar staff calling. I imagine this could cause a bigger problem if visiting at the weekend as the bar will be busier and you would be able to hear the customers.
If people walked up and down the stairs you could hear it as if it were in your room. We slept in one morning and the staff had the unfortunate habit of running up the uncarpeted, rickety staircase and it ruined our lie in somewhat. In a morning you could hear staff clunking cutlery and chatting away downstairs,preparing for breakfast(at an ungodly hour like 6am!).

This was only a minor issue for us however,we had expected it and it is an old building. My own house creaks quite a lot so as I said, it wasn't too big a deal.

Breakfast is hearty and fills you up for the day. If you're vegetarian however I'm not sure if there is a 'just cereal' option. There is a choice of salmon, full breakfast, bacon sandwich and complimentary toast etc.. but a LOT of meat. By the last morning I felt as though I had eaten waaaay too much animal and couldn't face it. It was all lovely though and well cooked.

We also ate in the evening at the Inn too one night. Service was a bit slow but the food was beautiful. Slightly over priced I think(our two main meals totalled £30 alone) but good all the same. Dessert was great too..try the Chocolate Bomb!!

I didn't find the staff especially wonderful. They were informative, polite and friendly but they didn't stand out as being exceptional. One particular member of staff at breakfast made me feel a bit uncomfortable. However, I am possibly being unfair as I didn't really attempt to engage them in conversation. I possibly didn't make the effort so they didn't make the effort either.
This didn't bother me however as they did their job satisfactory enough for me and I'm not really a 'people person' anyway.

All in all, a really good stay. Perfect location, atmospheric lodgings and good food(all be it a little expensive). I definitely intend to visit again.

• Liked — The room,food,location.....everything bar the following
  • Disliked — Noise was a bit irritating
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BettyBobbin
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2008

There seemed to be a few mixed reviews lately about The Guy Fawkes Inn so I was a little concerned as our break loomed, considering it's quite an expensive stay.
However, I'd like to say it was worth every penny and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a break in York.
It's location is perfect. York is such an enchanting city, especially at Christmas, so being able to walk everywhere is a real bonus.
As for the Inn itself. It was exactly what I hoped it would be. Atmospheric and relaxing. We stayed in one of the four poster rooms that overlooked the cathedral and I could have spent the whole trip in that room it was so inviting. Plenty of room and an old fashioned theme that kept in with the pubs feel made it a real pleasure to go back to in the evening.
The staff were all friendly and pleased to help and even refunded our parking costs as they'd run out of parking permits when we first arrived.
So all in all, a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing break.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EpicJ
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2008

We arrived in cold, wet and rain and initially were taken aback by the gloomy decor. However, the rooms were clean and recently refurbished and the staff could not have been more warm and welcoming. Parking is a bit of a problem but the hotel is happy to help with this. Overall, very atmospheric, superb position near the minster and very obliging and comfortable.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — parking problems
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Grouchmonkey
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

This hotel is certainly attractive in an olde worlde style - exposed beams, not a right angle in the place, etc, and would probably be ideal for Americans who wanted to feel like they were in the 17th century, and for whom money was no object. We stayed in a room with a four poster bed, at £175 a night B&B, and it wasn't worth that much - the room was small, but very clean and well equipped. The breakfast was nice, but nothing special. As the hotel is also a pub, it is noisy at night until about midnight (there is an open staircase from the bar up to the rooms). The high/low point, though, came one afternoon when a man hammered on the door and said he was going to have to take our bedding and towels as the owners hadn't paid his bill for supplying them. The manager led him away, and presumably talked him out of it, but we didn't receive an explanation, an apology, or, which might have been nice, a discount. That was obviously a one-off, but didn't fill us with confidence about the management! Assuming that doesn't happen every time, this hotel is simply overpriced, but otherwise OK.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DurhamBeard
barbara107
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

I have just returned from my 13th visit to the Guy Fawkes Hotel, York, My first since it has been “Refurbished” and unfortunately probably my last.
From the difficulties making my reservation to the problem checking out my 3 day stay was filled with repeated glitches and a great disappointment.
As mentioned earlier Myself and my daughter have been frequent visitors and have recommended dozens of people to the Guy Fawkes, but I would be embarrassed to do so now.
My initial contact was in March when I booked an overnight stay for 17th April, only to be contacted a few days before to say the refurbishment wasn’t finished in time. We then amended our booking To November and for a 2 night stay. Then after many, many unanswered phone calls finally in august I got through to amend the booking to include an extra night, making 3 in total. The booking confirmation had to be sent 3 times as it contained errors on each occasion, finally on the 3rd attempt it appeared correct. On checking in last week I was told that my booking was only for 2 nights and not 3, luckily I had a copy of the confirmation with me. The receptionist kept saying that now they were over booked.,.not my problem!
What was my problem though was standing in the bar/reception area it was in utter darkness, apparently this lends to the ambience, however totally impractical when it comes to reading or signing anything!
What had once been an open and airy bar area was now in total darkness, everything in the room, included the painted floor was black.. It is horrendous!
We were finally allocated room 3, at the top of the winding staircase, which had previously been beautifully carpeted, but you guessed it, the carpet had been removed and the stairs were painted black, however there was carpet on the landing, which was covered in dust and pieces of chipped off black paint from the stairs we had just climbed.
On entering room 3 my heart sank, more dark wooden flooring. Dark wooden panels on the wall, all rather coffin like.
The bathroom was the one thing that had not been touched in any way and was all white and shiny, with its power shower. The bed too was very comfortable. Nice TV with Freeview but to my horror the kettle was placed on a shelf directly under the TV! Surely a disaster waiting to happen.
The disaster that was waiting for us became apparent when we had to fight to get through the bar area after a hard days shopping to discover that was had previously been a quiet hotel was now actually rooms above a PUB! It was full to bursting with young loud and drunk people, who got louder as the evening passed. The door to the bar is directly under room 3 and banged constantly throughout the evening. On returning from a meal out we now find a “Bouncer” on the door! The noise was almost unbearable, people sitting on the stairs drinking, shouting and then a pub quiz started!
Once the bar had closed which was way passed 11 o’clock, those who had spent all night together drinking in the pub, now stood underneath our window, shouting for the next half an hour.
Having stayed here many times we are quite used to the very early collection of rubbish and glass bottles in the morning, however what we were not used to is the moving of heavy furniture just after 6 every morning, as tables chairs and large items were moved from the night before.
During our 3 day stay we were locked out of our room 3 times as the Card key stopped working, we then had to queue at the bar to get it going again.
On checking out they tried to charge us a £120 more than the confirmation said.
Apart from the accommodation nightmares our weekend was excellent. Fab food, shopping and a real Christmas spirit.
I feel that the Guy Fawkes has completely lost its way and it is such a shame.

• Liked — The shower and location.
  • Disliked — Noise, decor and inadequate staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank barbara107
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2008

What a wonderfull and quirky place! There isn't a square, level or perpendicular in the whole building which gives it great charm. So atmospheric in the Tavern downstairs... Dark corners and gas lights with fantastic features.

Accommodation is excellent. Great views over the Minster (Room 7 is a must!) Tastefull decor and sumptious fabrics.

Only downside is eating. Guy Fawkes doesn't serve meals on Friday and Saturday - not metionned on website. They claim to have priority reservations at the De Bretton Family restaurants. Not so! Unable to book at Harvilles despite being assured when we booked that we could. Our eating plans for the whole weekend were laid to waste. Beware!!!!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The restaurant policy
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple