“fantastic hotel in centre of york”
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #45 of 192 York B&B and Inns
middlesbrough
“fantastic hotel in centre of york”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

wonderful hotel, very central to sights/shops/pubs etc, had four poster room, very luxurious, had difficulty parking close by which was not directive enough on booking hotel, you need to park in marygate long stay car park, also were not informed of parking pass for overnight stays which would have been informative when booking

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Norwich
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I was a little nervous booking the Guy Fawkes, having read the reviews on this site but actually they prepared us for any small negatives and didn't do justice to the positives. The Inn is incredibly central, you can see the Minster from the front door. The bar has a wonderful atmosphere and smell, being lit by gas lamps. The service was fine, food very good and we got a deal on the room - second night free if we ate at Harvilles restaurant. We were nervous about this being rather expensive but we had a nice meal and didn't break the bank. If you want atmosphere in York then I would definitely go with this. The kids loved it and the room was so near the bar that we could go for a last drink in the evening with peace of mind - a huge bonus!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
Bristol
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We've just returned from a weekend break (Fri + Sat) at the Guy Fawkes Inn and will certainly be booking a return visit. The location is in the heart of the medieval old town, and within sight of York Minster. Therefore you should not expect there to be parking and even dropping-off space is limited, and about 50 yards away outside the Dean Court Hotel. Parking is available in Marygate, a good 10 minutes walk away. When I return for another visit, I'll certainly use the train and taxi.

The Inn is dark, as other reviewers have said, but it is magificent, true to the building and wonderful on a winter weekend. The lovely gaslighting and crooked stairs make this unsuitable for anyone who is disabled. We very much enjoyed drinks in the bar, with a good range of real ales - I liked the marshmallowy creaminess of the Leeds Best, my partner recommends Terrier, and also Nightmare. The bar was always busy, and convivial - it's best to think of this inn as a pub with far better than average rooms, rather than as a hotel, and not expect quiet bedrooms before 11pm. We simply joined the merry company in the bar, and had a peaceful night after that.

We dined at Harvilles Restaurant, owned by the same people, and I can truly say had the best steak I've ever had in the UK - a medium-rare 8oz English Longhorn steak, my partner had the Carpetbagger. It was pricey at £50 per head including drinks, but ultimately worthwhile. The maitre d' was attentive and knowledgeable. We're already planning to return to sample a couple of the other menu items, and plan to include it in the budget next time.

Our bedroom was very good, overlooking the courtyard and interesting photogenic old roofscape, enough space (a Deluxe Double), and a good, spotless bathroom with power shower. The only irritation here was that we had specifically booked a Four Poster room (my partner being 6ft 7), and on arrival found that a mistake had been made in booking, so that no Four Poster rooms were available. The Deluxe Double bed, with iron bedstead and footboard, was extremely comfortable for me, but my partner had to sleep curled up.

Breakfast was very good (I stay in a lot of hotels, once or twice a week on business), and this was one of the best. The menu is short but well executed. I had smoked haddock with poached egg and spinach on the first morning, and the full Yorkshire (really good black pudding) on the second. The breakfast service is not snappy, in fact, a little disorganised, but we didn't have to wait more than 10 mins for hot food. Take note that their supper menu is not served at weekends, except for bar snacks.

Oh, and it was nice to see high-speed wireless internet included for free, for once, being fed up with being stung for this service at other hotels.

The service overall is rather too relaxed - greeting on reception, payment - but friendly, so it's hard to take offence unless you're a very critical type. The big incovenience for me was not to be able to pay by credit or debit card - we were informed their machine was unavailable. In the end, we paid cash.

Overall, an excellent stay, and we are certainly going to come back for a longer stay later in the year.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I spent a long time hunting for the right hotel in York, and I'm glad I did. The guy Fawkes Inn is an amazing mix of historical charm, modern classic elegance, and downright great quality offerings. Although a little difficult to find if you are initially trying to find it in your car, we were talked in by the helpful staff, who provided us with a car parking pass to cover our stays cost. The car park is a 5 minute walk from the hotel itself.

Here is the only criticism I would level at the Guy Fawkes Inn, and that is that when we dropped our luggage off because we were too early for check inn. the staff offered to look after our possessions. This included both mine and my wifes luggage, and as it was our anniversary, presents for each other too. When we arrived back three hours later all the bags were still in the reception area, which is also a very busy pub, with a lot of passing trade. When this was pointed out to staff they were extremely apologetic, and offered us complimentary drinks as an apology. This as I mentioned earlier is th only fault that I would be able to level at the place however, due to the sheer excellence of everything else.

The Location of the building could not be more affecting, from our room we overlooked one of the Minsters entrances, and on the Sunday morning were woken by the Minster Bells around 9am.

The building seems to have retained most of it original charm, the decor in the bar and breakfast area, are simple, effective, and the fire in the lounge makes for a very welcoming environment. The beers and wines on offer are unique and superb. The staff are very friendly and will do the best they can for you.

As the rest of the building was so charming we were hoping we would not be let down by the room, We were not. Although the bathroom is one of smallest you will ever see it sufficed, it was clean and well appointed , but with just a shower. The room was elegant, the four-poster bed luxurious and the bedding and pillows clean and crisp.

All in all a great a stay, and if I was able to afford it I would stay there again, it is however a little pricey.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Wigan
Reviewed 27 January 2009

The stay at Guy Fawkes was booked in November for a birthday present. We both knew York fairly well and looked forward to a couple of nights within the city walls and so close to the Minster. The Hotel web site looked really interesting and quite different. Arriving on a Sunday proved tricky as the road on which the hotel is situated is closed to traffic at the weekend. However, on booking I was advised that secure parking was available "around the corner" on a municipal car park. (This is paid for by the hotel). The car park is a considerable distance from the hotel but as we would not be using the car for the duration it was fine.
The room, a four poster double was large and fairly well presented. The views were wonderful particularly at night as the minster is illuminated. Small problems with the room; failed bulbs or bulbs missing, a wardrobe door with a very fauly hinge and a dirty extractor fan. (these were pointed out when we left). Saying that the room was tastfully decorated and considering the brilliant shape of floors and walls gave a true historic if not ancient feel to the building.
Two unnecessary problems tarnished what could have been a special weekend. On the evening of our first day we were informed the hotel no longer takes credit card payment. This was apparently a recent change. (It was only insistance that will see the invoice sent to my home address for cheque payment) The breakfast too turned out to be a personal disappointment. The limited menu proved to be even more limited. On the first morning the smoked fish was not available. This could be understandable as the previous day was Sunday and we were assured that there would be no problem on Tuesday. Yet there was no fish on this date either.
Considering the cost for bed and breakfast for the room was £260 I felt a little upset. I felt as though there was little consideration paid to the concerns I had. What could have been a memorable weekend proved too disappointing to book a return visit.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The indifference of the staff.
Blackpool
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We stayed for 2nights, Friday and saturday! Got a great deal where we got our B and B at half price! The deal was to book a meal for one of the evenings at one of their group eateries, which we did for the friday evening at Harvilles in the town.
Firstly the Inn is very difficult to find as our sat nav took us to the top of the street which is not well signposted and in the day it is bollarded off! The best way to get round it is to put the address of the Dean Court Hotel ( best western group)into your sat nav , as you arrive at that hotel just look right down the street to the right...which again is bollarded off and the Guy Fawkes Inn is the second building into the street, over looking the minster and you will have to pull up in front of the bollards to unload your bags and then drive to the carpark!
The Inn is as previously stated is dark but we loved it, the ales and especially the mulled cider was fantastic, you will have to try it! We had room 11 which is out the back in its courtyard and is named "Guy Fawkes Cottage"....it was fantastic with stone flag floors, warm colours in the room and a large bathroom! The bar staff were great and very helpful, the breakfast staff did seem disorganised and it was not very smooth running and if they forget to tell you...the cereals and juices are on the bar...help yourself!! We had a further experience at their Harvilles Restaurant which we had booked for the friday evening to get the deal! A lovely place, wonderful cocktails and lovely staff, but im afraid our dressed crab was off... my 8oz steak turned up looking like a very small piece of coal and my partners medium rare steak practically ran back to the kitchen it was that rare! The staff were so apologetic and i did truely believe them that this was a rare event, they could not do enough for us. We actually decided to leave at this point and offered to pay for the drinks we had had but they said that they were on the house and yet again apologised and said they would phone the Inn and explain that we would still get the half price deal!!
Despite this we would not hesitate to stay again at the Guy Fawkes as in general our stay was great and we would book the same room again!
Thankyou Guy Fawkes Inn, we will be back!
Sarah and Andy x

• Liked — location and ambience
  • Disliked — disorganised breakfast service
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BlackpoolSarah
Midlands
Reviewed 15 January 2009

My partner and I decided we would go to York in the New Year. It would be our first trip away together and it was quite a big deal. After searching the internet I came across the Guy Fawkes Inn and immediately fell in love with it. It seemed just what we were looking for. So I told my partner and booked it. We booked the Petite Double Room with bed&breakfast and champagne, to be left chilled, in our room on the first night.
I was really excited about the trip until I stumbled across this site and found some very mixed reviews. I was gutted. I felt awful, anticipating the Inn would not be as wonderful as I'd imagined.
I kept schtum to my boyfriend however and tried to focus on the positive reviews.
We got a taxi from the train station which was only about £4(inflation my dears). I'd advise getting a train as oppose to driving. I was intending to drive but there really was no need. It was far cheaper.
The location of the Inn is unbelievably handy. Directly opposite the Minster,you couldn't be closer to the centre. We walked everywhere: Castle Museum, Jorvik Centre, Dungeons. I am not a fan of walking at all, I never walk anywhere! But it was all so close and it was so nice walking around the city,looking at the architecture etc.

Once we arrived at the Inn all my worries washed away. It was perfect:just as I'd hoped. The whole of downstairs was painted in a very dark brown and it did take your eyes a while to adjust but alongside the dark ornate wood furniture, slanted doorways, real Ale and candle-lit dining tables it really set the mood and you did feel as though you were back in the 17th century Inn.
The checking in process was quick,simple and easy and we were kindly shown to our rooms and helped with our bags.

The room was possibly on the small side but just right for us. We had afterall booked the smallest room so we didn't imagine it'd be mammoth in size. It had a lovely antique wooden bed with beatuifully soft comfortable sheets. It was a little creaky however. The other furniture in the room was lovely: a rocking chair, side cabinet and large chest of drawers topped with a huge marble slab. There was a kettle(location of kettle isn't close to a socket so it did have to be moved) and a good array of hot beverages. No biscuits though so take your own if you're a 'dunker'. There was also no phone in the room, so as to call Reception.
The television was great-a large flat screen jobby attatched to the wall,with Free-view.

The bathroom was nice. Well decorated, like the bedroom, with a good shower cubicle. The L'Occtane toiletries were a sweet touch too.
The doors to the bathroom however left quite a large gap when shut. It didn't cause us a problem but it may do to those wishing to retain some dignity, modesty and an air of mystique with their partner.
There wasn't a lot of room to put your towels once used. You could fit one on the radiator and that was about it.

A note to the more portly guest booking the petite double room: the gap between the bottom of the bed and the wall is a bit slim. My boyfriend had to do an amusing side-step every time he passed through. I could fit through normally but I did have to breath in a bit and stand on tip toes!

As people have mentioned, the noise really does carry. I heard nothing from anyone else rooms however or through the walls. But we were only a flight of stairs up from the open bar area and each night we knew when it was last orders because the bell would ring so loudly and and you'd hear the bar staff calling. I imagine this could cause a bigger problem if visiting at the weekend as the bar will be busier and you would be able to hear the customers.
If people walked up and down the stairs you could hear it as if it were in your room. We slept in one morning and the staff had the unfortunate habit of running up the uncarpeted, rickety staircase and it ruined our lie in somewhat. In a morning you could hear staff clunking cutlery and chatting away downstairs,preparing for breakfast(at an ungodly hour like 6am!).

This was only a minor issue for us however,we had expected it and it is an old building. My own house creaks quite a lot so as I said, it wasn't too big a deal.

Breakfast is hearty and fills you up for the day. If you're vegetarian however I'm not sure if there is a 'just cereal' option. There is a choice of salmon, full breakfast, bacon sandwich and complimentary toast etc.. but a LOT of meat. By the last morning I felt as though I had eaten waaaay too much animal and couldn't face it. It was all lovely though and well cooked.

We also ate in the evening at the Inn too one night. Service was a bit slow but the food was beautiful. Slightly over priced I think(our two main meals totalled £30 alone) but good all the same. Dessert was great too..try the Chocolate Bomb!!

I didn't find the staff especially wonderful. They were informative, polite and friendly but they didn't stand out as being exceptional. One particular member of staff at breakfast made me feel a bit uncomfortable. However, I am possibly being unfair as I didn't really attempt to engage them in conversation. I possibly didn't make the effort so they didn't make the effort either.
This didn't bother me however as they did their job satisfactory enough for me and I'm not really a 'people person' anyway.

All in all, a really good stay. Perfect location, atmospheric lodgings and good food(all be it a little expensive). I definitely intend to visit again.

• Liked — The room,food,location.....everything bar the following
  • Disliked — Noise was a bit irritating
1 Thank BettyBobbin