“Romantic getaway in york”
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Ranked #41 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 April 2009

had a great night here. traditional oldy worldy B&B right in the hub of the city -location is what your paying for here (£150-00). Mister bells woke us sunday morning and you cant turn them off! gas lamps wooden sloping floors winding staircase theyre all here.
Good traditional brekie Nice oldy worldy room with four poster and ensuite which to be critical could have been cleaner. Recomend the house wine.
The web page states that theres a minimum 2 night stay - but on enquiring we managed the one sat night.wished we could have stayed on as one night dosnt do york justice.
Will be going back to york soon ,not sure if it will be the Guy fawkes but thats cost reasons only. Highly recomend the Guy Fawkes.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed 11 April 2009

This charming inn is just about the best location in York that I could find. Especially if you're there to see the medieval city. I was in a four poster room overlooking York Minster Cathedral and square. One of the best view's I've ever had in a hotel. The room was very large and comfortable and everything was extremely clean and new.

The staff is very friendly but seems to lack attention to details. Lights were burnt out in the room and Kleenex boxes were never refilled. I would not by any means consider this a full service hotel. Its basically a pub with rooms. You shouldn't even think of staying here if you need to get to sleep before 11:30PM when the pub clears out. It didn't affect me as I was also out exploring York's great night life and pubs.

You will also be lied to when checking in. You will be told that their credit card machine is "broken" and must pay in cash. I was prepared for this after reading past posts and being forewarned. I hate being lied to like this - please just tell me the truth. Obviously they're trying to avoid criticism from customers of not taking credit cards.

I was also asked by many locals how the service was - they were not surprised by my replies. I also met a previous manager of the inn under the previous owners and he told me lots of great historical info about the inn. The Archbishop of York had rooms there and he told me that his coat of arms was still on the second level - unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look for them.

Overall, not a great value. But, if you want the feeling of staying in an historic building and an A++ location within the city walls, don't mind the service, this is definitely the place.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank tjcjr31
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Just returned from a one night stay at the Guy Fawkes inn and enjoyed every minute. On arrival we pulled up car opposite the Dean Court Hotel and my husband took the bags to check in. We arrived a good two hours earlier than the 2pm check in time but found that it wasn't a problem and were able to leave bags in our room (which was in the process of being cleaned). We made our booking with bookings.com and paid for one of the standard double guy fawkes room @ a cost of £90 saving a considerable amount on the usual price. We were pleasantly suprised to find that we had been upgraded to a four poster room with views of the minster!! Can honestly say that the stay was excellent. The rooms aren't the most huge rooms in the world but you don't come to York just to stay in the room all day... The room was well enough equipped, quaint and welcoming. The only thing that was missing were the usual biscuits but hey can't really moan about that! Some people have mentioned in their reviews that the rooms are noisy due to rubbish collections early in the morning - well yes we were woken up at 5am briefly but you are staying in a city centre and they can hardly collect during the day when the streets are filled with people! The breakfast was really nice..everything you would expect from a hotel breakfast. The inn is really atmospheric and staff pleasant. Will definately be returning..

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2009

We booked The Guy Fawkes Inn because of its location. My daughter had an interview at York St.John Uni. So we needed a handy hotel. It you want a central hotel this is the one.

On arriving the key card machine was out of action. Staff had to let us into our room with the master key, which wasn't a problem....Well not until after breakfast on the day of my daugters interview. When the master key wouldnt work. We couldnt get back into our room to retreive our belongings (which included my daughters portfolio, registration papers, shoes, coat etc.)
I appreciate that things go wrong on occasions. The staff did organise and pay for a taxi for my daughter to at least get to the interview. (Despite being without all the necessary personal belongs.) But my main gripe is that the staff on duty were not aware that there was a problem with the key machine. (Which was broken on our arrival the day before.)There was a major breakdown in communication on what was a very serious issue. Just glad it wasnt a flight or train we had to catch!
The food for breakfast was great. Plenty of choice and big portions.
Our room was on the ground floor off a court yard at the back of the inn. Very comfy and spacious. Although a generator just outside the door was rather noisy. As were the people drinking in the courtyard just outside our window!
We did leave our luggage at the Inn after checking out. I was rather miffed to find it left in the busy hallway just outside the loos all day.
Overall a convenient, comfy and atmospheric place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 March 2009

wonderful hotel, very central to sights/shops/pubs etc, had four poster room, very luxurious, had difficulty parking close by which was not directive enough on booking hotel, you need to park in marygate long stay car park, also were not informed of parking pass for overnight stays which would have been informative when booking

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2009

I was a little nervous booking the Guy Fawkes, having read the reviews on this site but actually they prepared us for any small negatives and didn't do justice to the positives. The Inn is incredibly central, you can see the Minster from the front door. The bar has a wonderful atmosphere and smell, being lit by gas lamps. The service was fine, food very good and we got a deal on the room - second night free if we ate at Harvilles restaurant. We were nervous about this being rather expensive but we had a nice meal and didn't break the bank. If you want atmosphere in York then I would definitely go with this. The kids loved it and the room was so near the bar that we could go for a last drink in the evening with peace of mind - a huge bonus!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We've just returned from a weekend break (Fri + Sat) at the Guy Fawkes Inn and will certainly be booking a return visit. The location is in the heart of the medieval old town, and within sight of York Minster. Therefore you should not expect there to be parking and even dropping-off space is limited, and about 50 yards away outside the Dean Court Hotel. Parking is available in Marygate, a good 10 minutes walk away. When I return for another visit, I'll certainly use the train and taxi.

The Inn is dark, as other reviewers have said, but it is magificent, true to the building and wonderful on a winter weekend. The lovely gaslighting and crooked stairs make this unsuitable for anyone who is disabled. We very much enjoyed drinks in the bar, with a good range of real ales - I liked the marshmallowy creaminess of the Leeds Best, my partner recommends Terrier, and also Nightmare. The bar was always busy, and convivial - it's best to think of this inn as a pub with far better than average rooms, rather than as a hotel, and not expect quiet bedrooms before 11pm. We simply joined the merry company in the bar, and had a peaceful night after that.

We dined at Harvilles Restaurant, owned by the same people, and I can truly say had the best steak I've ever had in the UK - a medium-rare 8oz English Longhorn steak, my partner had the Carpetbagger. It was pricey at £50 per head including drinks, but ultimately worthwhile. The maitre d' was attentive and knowledgeable. We're already planning to return to sample a couple of the other menu items, and plan to include it in the budget next time.

Our bedroom was very good, overlooking the courtyard and interesting photogenic old roofscape, enough space (a Deluxe Double), and a good, spotless bathroom with power shower. The only irritation here was that we had specifically booked a Four Poster room (my partner being 6ft 7), and on arrival found that a mistake had been made in booking, so that no Four Poster rooms were available. The Deluxe Double bed, with iron bedstead and footboard, was extremely comfortable for me, but my partner had to sleep curled up.

Breakfast was very good (I stay in a lot of hotels, once or twice a week on business), and this was one of the best. The menu is short but well executed. I had smoked haddock with poached egg and spinach on the first morning, and the full Yorkshire (really good black pudding) on the second. The breakfast service is not snappy, in fact, a little disorganised, but we didn't have to wait more than 10 mins for hot food. Take note that their supper menu is not served at weekends, except for bar snacks.

Oh, and it was nice to see high-speed wireless internet included for free, for once, being fed up with being stung for this service at other hotels.

The service overall is rather too relaxed - greeting on reception, payment - but friendly, so it's hard to take offence unless you're a very critical type. The big incovenience for me was not to be able to pay by credit or debit card - we were informed their machine was unavailable. In the end, we paid cash.

Overall, an excellent stay, and we are certainly going to come back for a longer stay later in the year.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple