“Terrible administration!”

Ranked #44 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Simonstone
“Terrible administration!”
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I booked through Late Rooms for my son and his girlfriend to celebrate being together for a year to stay at the Guy Fawkes Inn. Although I did not stay there myself I would like to let people know the difficulties which they experienced trying to check out and has consequently spoilt there stay in York. I called the Inn 2 days before there stay to pay for the superior room. I was informed that they would call me if the payment did not go through. I did not receive this call. Whilst trying to check out my son called me to say that they had no record of this payment and he would need to pay for the bill with cash. As he needed to go to the bank to obtain enough money he was informed he would need to leave his luggage with them as security. As you can imagine I was not too pleased about this and I called the manager directly to sort out the problem. After explaining that I had spoken to him and he had taken my details the previous 2 days, his reply was "I don't remember you calling" and was informed he would call me back. At this stage I checked on-line to ensure the payment had been received which it had and I called him back to relay this information to be told again "I will call you back". After a time I called the hotel again to enquire what was happening only to be told the Manager was not available. At this point I explained to the receptionist that this was not acceptable treatment and that my son needed to catch a train home very soon and I needed resolution of this matter ASAP and I expected a call from the Manager. Whilst this shambles of administration was ensuing my son and girlfriend where in limbo and obviously could not enjoy the rest of their time in York before returning home. Only after my husband intervened and he called me to say the Inn would release their bags was I able to call my son to say the were OK to collect there luggage, 2 hours after they should have checked out. I had checked the reviews for this Inn beforehand and although there were a few indications that there had been problems with credit/debit card payments in the past, the latest reviews stated that this problem had been sorted out. Obviously, this is not the case and on further checking the last few reviews it appears this Inn is in ADMINISTRATION! I can say this whole experience has truly spoilt what should have been a romantic stay in York.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
devon
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I stayed in the Belfry suite at the end of May. Fantastic! I am very well travelled, but have yet to see anything to match it. The staff were superb.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 14 July 2009

we booked this together with my sister and brother-in-law. The hotel is as it states full of quirky features. We loved the room ,the little teddybear on the chair was charming. The shower did not drain very well and niether did the light work over the sink but apart from that it was a cosy,comfortable room with beautiful bedding and curtains.Our breakfast was we thought a lovely menu . We were served it in a room with a real fire which may seem bizarre in June but it just added to the step back in time. During the evening candles burned on tables and real gas lamps were lit, it was fascinating. You were offered a £5 voucher each day for the parking .I think it was perhaps a little pricey but we would definitley go back. Staff were welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Wales
Reviewed 14 July 2009

When booking our hotel in York, I had been looking for somewhere to stay in York which would be totally different from the typical hotels such as Holiday Inn, Premier Inn etc, and I was not disappointed by the Guy Fawkes Inn. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and it certainly appeared to tick all of the boxes. In reality however, this little gem was everything I had anticipated and more - a charming little Inn in a stunning location, right on the doorstep of York Minster - full of atmosphere, character and a sense of history, wonderfully enhanced by the gas lighting, the dark uneven wooden floors and the candles. You felt as though you were stepping back in time as you left the bustling street outside and entered the dark and atmosperic interior of the bar area.
We were checked in and shown to Room 2 on the first floor, which was up a wonderfully uneven dark wood staircase. The room was divine, a wonderful bed with white bedlinen and an enormous window, which looked out onto the courtyard at the back, where people were sitting enjoying drinks (and where we headed ourselves not long after). The ensuite bathroom was up a couple of steps and contained the expected shower, toilet and handbasin, with complimentary tolietries. The room also contained a kettle and along with the usual tea and coffee provisions a nice touch of some local Yorkshire biscuits. A fan was provided which was very welcome in the warm summer weather.
We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant at the Guy Fawkes Inn, but there was an interesting menu for those who enjoy traditional English fare. The breakfast however was wonderful - an extensive menu of hot items to choose from, aswell as cereals, toast and preserves, juices and tea / coffee. The muesli was particularly impressive, as it was a much more luxurious muesli than that traditionally offered in hotel breakfasts. My husband opted for the full English breakfast, which was cooked perfectly and delicious, although he admitted that the authentic black pudding was an acquired taste which he had yet to acquire. The service was faultless.
We really enjoyed our night at the Guy Fawkes Inn, and for those looking for an authentic experience in a really atmospheric old English Inn, in possibly the best location in York, on the doorstep of the Minster and a stone's throw from the mysterious winding pasageways of the Shambles, I can highly recommend the Guy Fawkes Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Rugby, England
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We booked 2 x deluxe rooms, on arrival after previously phoning to check the area for parking as we know York is beautiful therefore popular, we were told to drive into the pedestrian area. No need to tell us twice. 40minutes later and nearly killing half of Yorks visitors, my Husband and I agreed to differ, he satayed with the car and I and my grown up Son and Girlfriend went on foot to find the place.

Check in was chaotic. They could only find one booking, then they offered us a 4 poster room for the missing deluxe over the bar so we took it, but neither of them were ready this was 3pm! In fairness we did leave our luggage and headed off on retail therapy and a stiff drink to calm the nerves.

The Car park wasnt qa couple of minutes stroll it was 10, not a problem for us but for people with a disability of any sort it would be. That was full too, so the next game after find the Inn was to find room in the car park....eventually we did. By the time this was accompolished we missed visiting at the hospital which was the whole purpose of our trip.

Eventually the rooms were done, but as we sat outside in the very nice courtyard we observed the staff walk straight into my sons room without knocking, we were sitting 5 foot from the door and no attempt was make to even knock once, They just walked in and left more towels and out again. This shocked us and particularly my nearly daughter in law as she had her brand new pink laptop on the bed, asssuming its safe, door locked an we outside!

The charm of the place is not to be mistaken, it is beautiful and crooked...everything is crooked. We didnt pay full price and nowhere near, and to be honest we wouldnt. We got a bargain location, a confortable bed, stale coffee and an average full english breakfast. With little or no attention to service. When I asked if they had sweetener, they said no. Not sorry, just no. My husbands diabetic, and to be fair we normally do carry them ourselves, but we shouldnt have to, or is that asking too much?

The Wifi didnt work and the car park which is 'discounted' still cost us £10 for an 18 hour period, ie 2 x one day 'hotel permit' parking at £5 each, as each day is from 8am to 8pm, and was NOT as convenient as its made out to be.

Would we return again, yes, but only to york, not to Guy Fawkes, we'd probably stay across the road at the Best Western to be fair, a bit of a dissapointing stay, in a charming inn with 'careless' staff.

The same staff were 'all over' a family from California that came in, I suspect they paid the £175 not the £50 we paid though......shame. It served a purpose but I coudnt recommend it to anyone for anything apart from it being right beside the Minster.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Isymac
St Albans
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed here with my girlfriend for two nights over a weekend. We found a half-price deal and paid £75 a night for a "deluxe" room. For such a central location and smartly-presented room this was excellent value. The room was spacious, clean, very comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The staff were friendly, and we were able to pay by credit card.

I am not sure I would pay the full rate though. For £150 a night I would expect better quality toiletries (a minor point, perhaps) and I thought the breakfast was below par -- limited choice, small portions and no fruit available. Also, the rooms are situated above a pub (a cozy pub, with eight well-kept ales, it must be said) so the noise could be a problem if you want to get an early night.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
dumfries
Reviewed 1 June 2009

this inn hasa hidden charm once you stay there you will see, rooms were really very nice
four poster beds were the best i have had, we will go back any time

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends