Stayed here with my husband and extended family (50, 45, 27, 21, and 2 x 19 year olds) in the Belfry Suite which accomodates 6 people. We were recommended the Guy Fawkes Inn by my daughters partner who has stayed here on a previous occasion. Friendly welcome and pleased with first appearances, location was excellent and we were all looking forward to celebrating my husbands birthday. We were showed to our suite, which is situated at the very top of the building up very steep steps but aware of this before booking so this didnt pose any problems. The Belfry suite is very quaint with very low ceiling heights, by husband bumped is head on more than one occasion, much to the amusement of the rest of the family. Breakfast was very good and plentiful and also catered well for my daughter who is vegetarian. After having a lovely birthday meal at the Dean Court Hotel and seeing the sights of York we arrived back quite late, Paul the night porter was very attentive and provided entertainment (ghost stories) whilst having a night cap, however he was also very aware of any noise so as not to disturb sleeping guests.
Now for the bad points: Unfortunately we were very disappointed with the Belfry Suite, 1. Stains on the carpets
2. Toilet seat completely broken (ended up placing it on floor, the annoying thing is that the staff were aware that it was broken because the screws were neatly placed ontop of the cistern!!!)
3. Bath tap handle came away in my sons hand. (husband managed to get it back on)
4. Only 2 cups, and one of the glasses was filthy
5. Bed Settees are very small, not comfortable for two adults
6. One of the duvets on the bed settee was actually a single in a double cover!
7. Very poor lighting, had to move bedside lights to be able to put make-up on.
8. 2 spot lights in bathroom not working.
9. Iron available on request, however my son had to go and collect it himself in the end as we couldnt wait any longer or we would have been late for our evening meal reservation.
Surely this is not acceptable for a 4 Star Rating!
On the morning of our departure we were able to see into one of the double four poster rooms at the front of the hotel, and i must admit these did seem far superior, and alot cleaner. My daughters partner was disappointed with the quality of the Belfry Suite as he had expected the same standards as on his previous stay.
We brought these points to their attention on the evening and expected some acknowledgement of this at check out, however i had to mention it again and just received an apology which i feel is not acceptable.
When all is said and done, we still had a very enjoyable weekend and the location was great. We would possibly stay again but not in the Belfry. They really do need to sort out the finer points otherwise i do feel it shouldnt have a 4 star rating.
I would recommend this hotel to friends for location and ambience, but wouldnt recommend the Belfry Suite and certainly not for a party of 6 adults.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing next to York Minster, the Guy Fawkes Inn was the birthplace of the notorious plotter, Guido Fawkes. The Inn offers en-suite rooms with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV’s and AA Rosette Food. Each of the thirteen rooms have been decorated individually, feature antique feature, tea/coffee making facilities and complimentary toiletries. Many of the rooms also enjoy a landmark view. The inn retains many of its original features including gas lighting, real log fires and the timber staircase. You can also dine by candlelight in the restaurant, which serves classic pub-food from locally sourced ingredients and the bar stocks a range of real ales. The York Ghost Walk Experience leaves from York Minster each Saturday at 19:00 and both York Theatre Royal and the National Railway Museum are just a 5-minute walk away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly, HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Guy Fawkes Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Guy Fawkes York
- Guy Fawkes Hotel York