“Warm and Friendly”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Crook Lodge Of York
Ranked #68 of 193 York B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Warm and Friendly”
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We stayed at the lodge for 3 nights 27th January 2011 for my husbands 50th birthday. It was a lovely little place, within walking distance to restaurants and places to visit. Brian was a superb host and could not do enough for us. Plan to go back in the summer.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
sleaford in lincolnshire, england
Reviewed 28 October 2010

On arriving the house was welcoming and when the door opened and Brian invited us in it was like visiting a friend and we knew straight away our stay was going to be a good one.
We travelled by train and were able to drop our bags off and after being given very clear directions we headed into the city centre for a days shopping. We got back around 5pm very tired and went up to our rooms they were fab much better than the four star hotels I have stayed in this year in Edinburgh. Location was great in a very quiet street but minutes away is the bustle of shops, restaurants and historic buldings giving you a vast choice for your stay. We had the best time aafter a great nights sleep we were treated to a superb breakfast one of the best I have eaten anywhere and believe me I am fussy and so are my sisters.This was the first time the four of us had been away together and being the youngest at fifty six I arranged the trip and admit I just wanted everything to be perfect and it was Thanks Crook Lodge.

• Stayed October 2010
Merseyside
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Stayed here for 3nights on the Tuesday after the long August bank holiday weekend. As you can see from my review further down I wasn't anticipating a return, but due to all the 4 star guest houses in the local area been booked up decided to give it another go.

Myself and my partner specifically asked for a room clearly pictured on the website this time around and what an improvement this was. The room was a mix of blue with cream furniture and this time was complete with all the correct matching furnishings/finishing touches, I’m well travelled around the UK and would say that the room wasn’t far of a 5 star guest accommodation standard. As with our last trip Crook lodge was immaculately clean and tidy. The problem with the TV reception was fixed however the free WIFI still had a mind of its own only this time instead of been switched off in the early evening was extremely unreliable throughout our 3day stay. This made the task of choosing a restaurant etc very frustrating, thankfully I had a Mobile broadband dongle with me so this wasn't too much of a problem just a little inconvenient and to be fair I didn’t mention this to the owners.

Breakfast as per our last trip was very nice and filling, the full English certainly sets you up for the day and as a consequence we found our self’s not eating lunch until late afternoon.

Overall a much improved stayed at Crook Lodge with a price tag that actually reflected the standard of accommodation this time around!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Stayed for a few days in York and the Crook Lodge is perfectly situated so that you can leave your car and walk in to the city which is just a few minutes stroll away.

Likes: Perfectly close to centre, Friendly, helpful hosts, great breakfasts, comfy bed......

Dislikes: Tiny bathroom and noise. The mainline railway has been "removed" from location map on the Crook Lodge web site but it runs right along side the house. Don't expect a lay in during the week as the trains start early and the house shakes. On the Friday night, there was a lot of noise from revellers returning home until quite late.

Summary. York is a busy City so expect some noise and if you're looking for a guest house which is situated close to the centre but just far enough out to be rat run, this is as good as it gets....so recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Stayed for weekend in York
Great location - short walk across the park to get to the city centre

Room was nicely appointed - clean - with good facilities
Breakfast was very pleasant

Host was vey helpful

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Merseyside
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Myself and my partner arrived at Crook Lodge for a 3night stay. The guest house is a lovely Victoria building built in 1951 and is very charming from the outside. Unfortunately the standard of accommodation didn’t live up to a 4star guest house rating in my opinion, each and every picture on their website is very cleverly taken and doesn’t resemble the rooms accurately. Our room the superking double was nice but lacking any finishing touches, literally a bed, wardrobe, side table and TV where in the room. I have visited many other 4star guest houses in the UK and Crook Lodge unfortunately is the worst and ironically the most expensive place I have stayed.

Upon waking up after our first night’s sleep I informed Brian the owner that our TV had a poor reception and although he did fit a new aerial most channel where still unavailable with the excuse of tree’s blocking the signal. Now unless this guest house has only just introduced freeview TV which I doubt I feel this was a poor excuse and the problem should have been resolved before any guests arrived. I took advantage of the free wifi during my stay which everything evening goes off at 11pm, I’m guessing the owners switch the router of when they go to bed maybe it would be nice if they informed guests of this.

Although this guest house was clean and tidy upon my next trip to York I will not be staying at Crook Lodge due to the poor quality rooms / lack of finishing touches, bad TV reception, unreliable wifi and the unjustified expensive price tag.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We had a very friendly welcome to a nice, hospitable B&B. Well located not too far from the Minster and central York. Clean room with good facilities, although perhaps a little on the small side. Decent cooked breakfast. Would stay there again. PS - would recommend 31 Castlegate for a nice meal out!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple