“Fab!”
Review of The Masons Arms

The Masons Arms
Ranked #75 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I stayed there for the 3 nights we were in York and it was fantastic! We were made to feel very welcome and the staff were so helpful. Accommodation was really reasonable, meals great and the room clean and comfortable. Location superb. I couldn't rate it high enough!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night and I can only describe our room as disgusting! The location of the pub it great for the town centre, only a 5-10 min walk. Parking was available but limited. Our room was small and very dated decor wise but this did not really bother us. However, I believe the room had not been cleaned properly prior to our arrival. The small shower cubicle was not clean, the sink had hairs in it and the toilet had definitely not been cleaned!! I had to clean the seat myself with antibacterial handwash before I dared use the toilet. The bedding was stained and to be honest I didn't really want to sleep there. We booked this room as we had previously eaten at the pub two years ago and found the meal to be very good. However, after seeing the standard of their accommodation I would no longer eat at this pub. It was one of the cheapest deals we could find last minute but it was a big mistake. Avoid!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chemicalbro
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I went to the Mason's Arms for lunch today and recieved a very good welcome from the staff there who were very helpful and friendly. Paying was vey quick and easy asyou pay for your food before you eat. There are plent of choices to choose from on the menu with a normal menu and a Sunday dinner menu as well including pies. I went for mince and onion pie with Yorkshire puddings and mash potatoes with a cup of tea. The Service waas fantastic will the food served not long after ordering. The pie Yorkshire puds and mashed potatoes were very well cooked. The pub is very popular.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2014

this is a little gem. the food is fantastic try it you will love it staff all very helpfull .rooms small but ok after all you are in them to sleep not spend all day in them. very close to the city centre

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The room was an annexed outbuilding within the rear courtyard with plenty of parking space. A decent sized room for one person and plenty of privacy, located perfectly within the town. The staff were friendly too.

I was provided a room key and was allowed to check in early which was really handy. However... i was not informed that the courtyard gate would be locked at night, neither was i given a simplex code for the integrated passenger gate. So when i left a stag do in the wee hours of the morning i was locked out of the hotel! the pub itself was locked down too! so i had to sleep on my mates hotel room floor and had little/no sleep.

When i did return in the morning it was so close to a 0930 checkout time (although 1030 is on the information within the room) that i couldn't catch up on sleep. Even if i had tried, the radiator wasn't working (stains evident on carpet) and the room was baltic! With thin bed sheets i couldn't even fathom an attempt to rest here.

So basically; i didn't stay here. i was locked out of what turned out to be a freezing room anyway. Staying on a travel lodge floor was my experience of this booking.

I feel that had management/staff provided me a welcome package with critical information upon arrival; the majority of the problems would have been overcome.

Had they furnished and maintained the room to an acceptable and suitable standard (radiator, bog brush, wobbly toilet seat, carpet stains, wafer thin sheets) the comfort experienced within this hotel would be much greater.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have visited York a few times now and always choose to stay here. Very close to the city centre and easy to drive to. We came via the a 1 and it couldn't have been easier to find. The room very small and a very tiny shower. The shower worked fine although not easy to use as the fittings very loose on the control. The bed comfortable and clean and the room very clean. We were also able to park the car for the whole of our two days and was able to leave it there even though we checked out at 10.30 and continued sightseeing. Very handy for the hop on bus and in a great location. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I will always stay here when visiting York.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank April N
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We received a really warm welcome by the staff here, even though we arrived too early to book in, the chambermaid said we could park in the car park and go off shopping. We did this returning around tea time and checking in properly. The pub staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. When we were shown to our room, having read some of the other reviews, it met my expectations - in need of a coat of paint and some new, modern bedding - but for the money and for one night, we were happy enough. We went into the pub for our evening meal, the menu being an extensive one. We chose the game pie and the steak and ale pie, both of which were large portions with chips, peas, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. Hearty, home-made food, if a little well done. Again, the staff were great, telling us that check-out time was 10.30 but we could leave the car in the car park if we wanted to go
shopping. The location is ideal for a walk into the City centre. The only thing that needs doing here is decorating the rooms to brighten them up and some new bedding. Other than that, it was good value for a night's stay with really friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2014