“Absolutely Gutted”
Review of Holgate Hill Hotel

Holgate Hill Hotel
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Decided to have a night out in York, went to Jamie's which was fantastic. Decided to stay at this Hotel, I was really disappointed . It's what I would call an oldy worldly hotel. On the face of it , It looked ok. However when we got to our room I was gutted. It was the size of a cupboard , to get into bed you have to walk sideways , the shower is shocking. You have to stand under it for half an hour to get wet . I went to reception to ask if they had a bigger room , The guy said no they were full . I asked if all the rooms were this small , He said yes. Breakfast , not impressed but by the time I got to breakfast I was in such a bad mood it might of been good , But I doubt it . £86 wasted . Sorry hotel but I think you need to sort the place out . I won't be coming back.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe D
There are newer reviews for Holgate Hill Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This "hotel" is much much worse than poor, it is most definitely the worst establishment I have ever stayed in. Myself (60 years old) and my racing friend stayed in the place for 3 nights for the 2014 York Dante meeting and we are certainly not fussy, we enjoy the racing, having a meal and a few drinks ,and then just getting the head down, ready for the next day, and if it was even average, I would not be writing this, but it was not a good experience at all, and really quite insulting, the breakfast ,for example, was served on a side plate ( to obviously make the food look larger and to fill the plate) . Think faulty towers, and you've nailed this place.

Room Tip: Don't know of any good rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here (last time with my husband in November last year and this time in a twin room with my mum). The hotel is still really nice and clean. It is a bit of a walk from the centre but it does have a car park (and also a bus stop right outside if you don't want to walk). The bar is nice and the lounge has a relaxed feel to it. The full English breakfast is a bit small but there is plenty of cereal/croissants and toast to fill up on (my breakfast always filled me up until teatime). Would definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Average B&B, about a mile walk to races and within walking distance from the town centre.
Old fashioned and bit tired, but fairly clean. Our Room was at the back, quirky corridors to get to it,
Usual B&B breakfast.
Possibly use again.
They need to sort parking.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 1 August 2014

we came for race meeting and to see Wet Wet Wet. Holgate hill hotel is in perfect location 20 min walk to racecourse 10 mins walk into York centre. bedrooms were good size. we also had bath and separate shower. very comfortable bed also had 2 2 seater sofas ( room 11) thoroughly recommend. good choices at breakfast. the cooked breakfast was nice and fresh. we will definitely be back. also very good price

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night to attend a race meeting- no complaints! Staff helful with east to follow directions! Everyone friendly- from owner to chamber maids! Room clean and comfortable! A lovely experience!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank mcshane18
Reviewed 25 July 2014

about 15 min walk from train station if you have good directions. was a little farther than i had originally thought. staff was very helpful. told us about short cut to train station for when we left. breakfast was very good. fruit,cereal and cooked food. had to go to lobby for free wifi. did not work well in our room. room was big enough. bathroom was decent size. could easily walk into york city from here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple