“a good walk to the centre”
Review of Holgate Hill Hotel

Holgate Hill Hotel
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 27 October 2009

nice and friendly staff but thats about it im sorry to say,its a good 15-20 min walk to the centre there is a bus stop out side if you want it though.the breakfast was very sparing,not enough to get you through the day,well it was'nt for me the room was smallish and im afraid not very clean and it was cold very low heating for october.so for the price there are far better hotels in the area and closer to the main shops and attractions.one more thing york is very very nice,enjoy

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 October 2009

This place needs to be avoided at all costs. It is dated, drab, dirty and I do not know how it dares call itself a hotel. The carpet was filthy and sticky, I had to place a towel on the floor between the bathroom and the bed so that I could undress and shower without having to place my bare feet on the carpet. The padded headboard was so stained and dirty that I placed the pillow vertically against it when I slept to avoid my head touching it. There was no heating in my room. The beds have bedspreads/smelly dusty blankets and sheets; I was cold but could not pull the blankets up to my neck as they made me sneeze and cough so much. In the end I slept in my coat with the blankets at waist height. The shower did not work at all, and i was advised to try the communal bathroom (no shower, only a filthy bath in it). I had to take photos of the room and bathroom to show my husband, he would simply not have believed how bad it was.

The most awful thing is that the website/ guests manual refer to tastefully decorated rooms, they refer to comfort. The owners are seriously in denial.

Go there at your peril. It is NOT a nice place.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I booked this hotel last minute as there were few alternatives. The hotel is rated 2 stars but doesnt even deserve those. Think of Fawlty Towers and this hotel seems to be stuck in that era. Dreadful decor, furniture didnt match and was cheap flat pack battered units, avocado toilet and shower in a cupboard, heating not working. Breakfast mediocre. It cost £78 for one night which was far too expensive for this awful place. DONT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ladyblahblah
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Very dated hotel, needs complete refurbishment. Room furniture fittings very old. Bathroom needed completely redoing as looked dirty. Bed uncomfortable. Communal areas were ok and the staff were nice overall. Good location. Not worth the rack rate but if you can get for £20-£30 then go for it!

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 5 July 2009

well i went to the holgate hill hotel with a group of people from my school i was appaulled by the room me and my friend got ''put'' in. we thought the so call bathroom was a wardrobe before we opened it but surprise surprise it was a bathroom. that night we went down for dinner there was all of us thats about 30 kids talking and then this grumpy manager came out and yelled at us all saying ''quiet'' and we all shut up but none of the staff were friendly at all and treated us like dirt my bed had a dip in the middle of it so i had a back ache for a while after i stayed there as i stayed for 4 nights our tv had no remote and our window would not close so we slept with it open and one night it was raining so we got a bit wet. we had 3 hangers in our wardrobe aswell !!
the next morning.... breakfast what can i say it was disgusting i had toast well cold toast really as by the time i got it, it was stone cold so i decided to try some cereal the milk smelt funny which i am guessing was gone off so i had dry cereal. i attempted to have a shower but no no warm water just freezing cold water so i waited until we went swimming and had a shower there it was so bad not happy with it at all ......
it was absolutly appaulling some advice dont ever go there unless you want the worst experiance of your life the reason i didnt rate it with stars is because it doesnt even deserve one star........

• Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank hofhdwd
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I booked this hotel to meet a friend in London we decided to meet halfway.

When I arrived, the hotel was basic and decor bit dated but that doesn't bother me. The staff were friendly and I was shown to the room. I placed my bags on one of the twin beds and was horrified to see dried in green snot from someones nose. Absoloutely disgusting. I dont care how cheap a hotel is there is no excuse for charging people for a room and not having the decently to wash the bedcover from the previous guest. Downright laziness and just filth. Don't go - I advise to pay a bit extra and get a clean hotel that actually wash their bedcovers. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2009

My god!!!

I am not a snob when it comes to uk b and b's but this is beyond a joke!!! we stayed just for a night as my partner had a red letter day not far so we thought we would visit York also. We normally go for a premier inn over here but as the races were on every where was full so we found this 3*!! all looked good unitl we arrived!!!

the only good thing is a great location. You arrive to a double parked car park that you have to block other people in on. We signed in to the guest book and thrown our key. We went down two flights of stairs to the back of the hotel to our room.

The room:- transported to the 1970's...smelly, dirty and a paper bath mat with two feet on interesting!!! bathroom is green and has not been cleaned for years I don't think. didn't risk making a brew as the kettle was from the sixties with a envelope for customer comments next to it that had gone yellow. we quickly went out to explore.

it is about a 15 minute walk to the city walls which take you direct to the city. we went around town and then got changed and went out. we ate at piccolinos which is fantastic and visit the manchester one often.

all i can recommend is having a few glasses of wine before returning everything looks better through blured vision also dont move in bed as it creeks!!!

Breakfast:- well part two a bowl of peaches, a bowl of grapefruit(tinned) and what is described as a full english breakfast!! this was served on a side plate one sausage, one bacon, one egg, and half a moon of black pudding that was swimming in grease and not even cooked properly.

We were so happy to check out and leave this hotel that we were up dressed breakfast and out within 45 minutes with hangovers!!! says it all!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple