“6 feet tall into a foot high bed in room marked disabled.”

Premier Inn York North West Hotel
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in York
Manchester, United Kingdom
“6 feet tall into a foot high bed in room marked disabled.”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

First impressions when we arrived in our room and turned the bathroom light on was WOW! unlike one PI we stayed in this one was absolutely spotless, and when we walked into the room their was a large LCD TV attached to the wall, so far so good, however when I looked at the double bed which stood I'm guessing here about 15 inches off the ground I became just a little concerned, because I'm 6 ft tall and have a disability and I'm stood in a room specified as Disabled?
We parked our case, had a shower and then made our way to the ajoining Beefeater, one word "brilliant" the cooked steak was on the small size but hey everything was spot on and more importantly Hot! hot! hot!.
Bit of confusion when the bill arrived as although we had booked the Meal Deal were presented with a full itemised bill the details of the voucher we handed over to a member of staff had obviously not been documented, but to be fair this was swiftly rectified.
After our meal we sat outside with another drink and were stalked by the local cat, who jumped on the chair back behind me to the table and onto my wife's lap apparently his name is Elvis . . . cute cat, however I'm digressing, because the chairs in the room were not comfortable for me personally it was not really an issue I just decided to lie on the floor and then roll straight onto the bed??? yes yes it was that low, whilst watching TV which you cannot turn up beyond 15 or adjust the contrast to get rid of the red faces as it's pre-set by Whitbread's Mission Control. With two on the bed I found both of us rolling into the centre of the bed, ask my local bed specialist about bad mattresses and he will confirm that two people rolling into the middle of any mattress is a sign of a poor quality or a mattress that's well and truly past it's best, PI You Choose? in addition it was awful in terms of comfort I could not sleep and as we sleep with the curtains open, as soon as darkness fell two bright orange sodium bulk light fittings situated opposite our bedroom lit up our room which was not helpful either. When we went down for breakfast the next morning we were greeted with a nice Good Morning how are you? from a mature female member of staff, had my feeling sorry for myself head on and I mentioned I'd had a rough night and she advised I mention this at reception. We had an absolutely fantastic breakfast the best ever at any Premier Inn and the lady who served us was really nice. As we were leaving I spoke to a young blonde receptionist who to be fair had been really helpful previously but her whole manner changed completely when I mentioned that I had an awful nights sleep?? and I added that a foot high bed really should not be inside a disabled room, let's be honest the word disabled is a massive clue, however I do accept that a comfortable mattress is a very subjective subject what suits one person may not suit someone else, however, we were told that "none of our guests have ever complained about the mattresses in fact some have asked where can they buy one from" interestingly when questioned she seemed to think that a disabled person lets say in a wheel chair would not have an issue with transferring from a chair (higher than a PI bed) low down onto a bed that stands just over a foot off ground, clearly you would have to lift the person out of the wheelchair seat and lower them onto a foot high bed, and similarly you would have to lift the person from the foot off the ground bed into a wheelchair seat which I think would cause problems.
A male worker? was sat beside the receptionist grinning all the time, she asked him to go check the bed later, and then disclosed that in the other room the bed has risers fitted ? I was certainly not aware of this I just thought it was odd that a bed in a disabled room was very low off the ground, the grinning person said he would check it right away, didn't move just grinned which obviously tells me that his role of chief bed-checker is just not going to happen because if it did then risers would of been fitted to the bed in our disabled room.The young receptionist told me that she would make a note of my comments, and absolutely no mention whatsoever of the Premier Inn Good Night guarantee promise?
I'm sure someone from Premier Inn will post the usual standard response script and cut & paste their extremely concerned standard reply.
Finally Hypnia mattresses are mentioned on the Premier Inn page as featured in some (not York NW) hotels which tells me that for some people and I must stress not for all guests, that perhaps the existing mattresses may not be that good.

Room Tip: Try and request a room situated in the front of the hotel rear overlooks what looks like empty offic...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James J
Whitbread-77, Steven Hicks, Social Media at Premier Inn York North West Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel.

At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion you were let down by the state of the bed, which was clealy inadequate for your needs. Please be assured your comments will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel, to find out why you were not offered a refund.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This is a very good and clean hotel, The only very small but annoying point is that the rooms suffer from health and safety gone mad, the windows barely open because of some previous incident i was told by the lady on reception and this is the same at all the Inns in the group. So on a warm night or if like us you like a bit of fresh air you'll need to keep the fan on.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front, the passing traffic is quieter than the fans at the back
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Whitbread-77, Steven Hicks, Social Media at Premier Inn York North West Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for your review.

It really matters to us that our guests have a comfortable nights sleep, and we sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured that all your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to meet all our customer’s needs.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Clean, modern and welcoming Premier Inn. Breakfast good, layout for breakfast avoided self-service scramble and pinchpoints.

But the back bedroom was spoiled by noise from the kitchen ventilation fans which don't stop until between midnight & 1am - not good if it's warm and you need the windows ajar like us (no aircon in this location). The front bedrooms overlook York outer bypass so you get road noise.

Evening meal is typical Beefeater fayre - alright. Our waiter presented us with an incorrect bill because he didn't enter the mealdeal correctly. We spotted this and, after discussion, it was corrected without fuss. But still not good.

Overall, a decent Premier Inn. Staff friendly and professional. Clean & modern but spoiled by exterior noise.

Room Tip: Stay away from the kitchen part of the Inn
1 Thank Arianne1985
Whitbread-77, Steven Hicks, Social Media at Premier Inn York North West Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel.

At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Came here after having a Spa day at Bannatynes. Lovely meal, always find Beefeater is really good. Staff are always friendly. The paprika chicken is the best dish on the menu, always cooked to perfection and very filling.

1 Thank SLAN24
Ardrossan
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just returned from a few days in York and stayed at this Premier Inn for 4 nights. The room was spotless, the staff were so helpful, and we couldn't fault it. We ate in the Beefeater next door a couple of nights and the food was great. The breakfasts were lovely too (apologies to staff for putting my toast in twice as it came out pale the first time - I think I nearly set the smoke alarm off!). One particular member of the breakfast staff was so friendly and gave us ideas for places to go and would ask how our day had been the following morning. A very personal touch.The Park and Ride to York is very close and ideal to get to York as driving into York and parking could be a headache. Our 5 year old loved this hotel and said she missed it when we came home today.
The only thing I would say was that our room was too warm and we opened the window when we came back at night until we went to bed. Air conditioning would be a real benefit, but in all fairness they have provided fans in the rooms due to hot weather, so its not a complaint, just a suggestion.
Loved this Premier Inn. Will definately stay here again next time we are in York. One of the best Premier Inns we have stayed in.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stayed at the PI York North West for 2 nights , check in was quick and easy , 1st time here and we were really impressed with the standard of cleanliness in the room it was immaculate well done to the housekeeping staff there, Plenty of parking there , There were 3 other restaurants very close by as well as their own , we had breakfast there which was very good value .
To get into York we used the park & ride which was only 2 minutes drive away, would recommend it, so quick and easy, This hotel is well located and easy to get to and find, We are definitely going to use it again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

fantastic premier inn spotlessly clean. very friendly helpful staff would definatley come back...... superb

• Stayed July 2012