“Nice B & B with easy walk to town”
Review of The Hazelwood

The Hazelwood
Ranked #37 of 193 York B&B and Inns
Cooperstown, New York
“Nice B & B with easy walk to town”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I would rate this Good, but there isn't a choice between Average and Very Good.
Nice, clean B & B, with a pretty sitting area on the patio in back.
Our group of 4 related girls was split between two rooms, one on the main floor, and one on the top floor. The girls in their 20's took the room on the top floor. The rooms were compact, but comfortable. The bathroom was very small, but doable. The sink and mirror were in the room with the beds, which worked nicely. Packages of tea with a hot pot, cookies, and wrapped cake were in the room for us. Instead of the hot breakfast, I had a fresh croissant and hot tea (no scones available). Yogurt was also available, but only fruit flavored. When I mentioned I only eat vanilla yogurt, I was surprised the next morning when she said she got one for me!
Unfortunately, the wifi didn't work in our first floor room, but it worked fine in the dining room, and in the girls' room upstairs. There is a computer in the lower level lounge available, too.
The Hazelwood's location is convenient to town, so when we arrived by train we walked several blocks with our rolling bags to the B&B, and checked into our rooms. After that we walked a couple of blocks to town for an afternoon snack of scones with hot tea at Bennett's next to Minster Cathedral and began our sightseeing. There was so much to see and do in York. A day and a half wasn't quite long enough.

Room Tip: We were in the corner room that faced that back garden, on the first floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peggy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Suffolk
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We chose room 5 which is large at the front. Beautifully decorated, bed very comfortable.
all facilities but this one goes the extra mile, lifesaver eyemakeup remover pads, gilchrest and Soames toiletries. Free parking and we were allowed to stay all day.
Breakfast was delicious, I enjoyed yoghurt and fresh berries, then freshly cooked full English breakfast.
I was provided with extra information in advance of arriving about the road closures due to the Tour de France and also checked up that I had the info. Excellent service going the extra mile.
Very clean, lovely location, very close to the Minster. We had a key to get in and out as we wished. A real home from home.
the only down side to room 5 is the sink is in the bedroom, so you use the toilet facilities then have to find the sink to wash your hands.

Room Tip: £125 for B&B two people and car parking, Room 5 is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqueline C
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in The Hazelwood. Not one bad word to say about it. Stayed in room 3 in the basement where another room is and the lounge.
The lounge is very clean with refreshments and biscuits on offer.
Our room and bathroom was immaculate and very spacious. One of the best hotels I've stopped in.
Selection of hot drinks, biscuits and even cake.
Bath robes to use if needed. Amazing queen bed that was so comfy.
Receptionist very friendly.
I'm not a breakfast lover but I thought I would try one, and glad I did. The best breakfast I have ever had. Not too much, and good quality.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Rachelphee
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed as a single in June over two days. The Hazelwood gets a five star for me for it's location, bedrooms, breakfast and overall service. It's truly a five minute walk to the York Minster and the city walls. I would recommend it for all!

Room Tip: The front bedroom (#2) is surprisingly quiet, even though it faces the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Italyforsure
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Hazelwood is an excellent place to base yourself for a stay in York. Within walking distance to all main sights and shops but far enough away to mean you get none of the city noise. The rooms are spotless and furnished to a high standard , and are refreshingly uncluttered . The bed was very comfortable with high quality bed linen. Breakfast was tasty with plenty of choice. Staff were helpful but unobtrusive . A very very pleasant stay , we will most definitely be back .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon W
Mayfield, Kentucky
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have stayed at The Hazelwood for my last four work-related trips to York. I have never been disappointed. The location, just five minutes on foot from the Minster, cannot be beat. The Gillygate area is very quiet -- much quieter than near the Ouse -- yet close to York's best attractions. The Hazelwood itself and the staff in particular, however, are the real reasons to stay. The rooms are immaculately clean, the beds are very comfortable, and the staff rank at the top for both professionalism and friendliness. At least two of the rooms have desks -- handy for those visiting York for work. There is no other place that I would stay in York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KScott42001
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Put simply, the Hazelwood has thought of everything. I do mean everything. Accommodations and service were more than excellent. Clean clean clean !!! Quite, comfortable and great location. Walk to York Minister and everything else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo