“Evening meal”

Functions at the churchill
Reserve with OpenTable
Functions at the churchill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #664 of 909 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We did not attend a function here but had a very good evening meal and although the surroundings were quite grand the meal cost a similar amount to other places where we had evening meals - very impressed with York overall for the very reasonable prices for everything.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I went to the Churchill for dinner on Saturday 12th April, having chosen it because it was close to the b & b where I was staying. Also I wanted to eat a civilised time (not too early) and avoid the ambience of city centre public houses on a night of the week when people tend to hit the town for a serious drink. I have to say at the outset that the staff were very helpful and attentive. If I wished - and I did - a drink of my choice would be got in the bar for me whilst my table was being got ready. Led through to the restaurant. I was given a good table and iced water brought to me as well as the glass of Merlot I'd ordered. I chose a starter of garlic mushrooms which, on top of the bread and butter already brought to me, was substantial. For my main course I had sausages and mash. However the veg I wanted - green beans - had to be ordered as a side dish. I didn't partake of either a dessert or coffee. In total my bill came to just over £29.00 which is quite steep by comparison with what I might have paid for the equivalent in a city centre public house or eaterie. However I was quite happy with the meal and diners were treated to the skills of a first rate pianist although the piano effectively blocked an otherwise clear entrace from the bar. I would be happy to return again.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Attended one of the Christmas party. Food was excellent compare to other hotel with their food.
My starter of confit of chicken was a bit too cold that couldn't bring the taste out but still tasty, main course of the slice of lamb was lovely, shame couldn't have 2nd helping, chocolate dessert was to die for.
However the service were not what you expect from a rosette restaurant, staff were unfriendly and unapproachable. They didn't give us any wine menu or take our wine order. Also they didn't show us where the disco after our meal is as part of our package. No interaction, no smile, no table service at all
Overall, the food was value for money and the atmosphere were lovely. Shame of the staff.

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I was recently at the Churchill for a staff Christmas party. I was impressed by all aspects of the evening and was surprised how fluidly the evening went as it was rather busy. I didn't want to leave a review on their restaurant page as the food is obviously a different level and I didn't stay so it didn't seem right to review the hotel.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have been to five previous Christmas dinners at The Churchill with my keep fit class and the food and service was excellent so I was expecting the same again. This year I went with St Leonard's Hospice volunteers from their Acomb shop in York. The cost was £29.95 each. My starter was goat's cheese which was the size of the top of an egg cup with two lettuce leaves and a squirt of red jus around the plate. It tasted ok we did feel it should have been served warm. We waited 40 minutes before the main course arrived. My main course was lamb. I had two thin slices of lamb which had 3 rings of fat the size of 50p piece. The three vegetables served with the meal were ok and hot but not outstanding. My friend had lots of lamb on her plate but she could not cut it with her knife. After the meal the Head Waiter came round and asked my friend if she had enjoyed her meal. She told him that she had been unable to eat the meat and he then said "but did you still enjoy the meal?". He did offer her some turkey which she refused as the ladies who had been served with turkey said it was "reconstituted". I told my waiter to tell the chef that the lamb was disgusting and he said "I will tell my boss". The highlight of the meal was the cheese and biscuits! The 8 ladies on my table all agreed that they would never go to the Churchill for a meal again.