“Good Location”

Ranked #26 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
London, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We spent christmas here last december, arriving on christmas eve and leaving on boxing day, and had a lovely little cottage for the duration. The location was lovely and secluded yet a few minutes drive to the centre, and the cottage had everything in it that we could have needed. The only thing missing was the personal touch. Though we went with the idea of 'getting away from it all', it would have been nice to at least see one human wandering around. It was a simple 'Key under Pot' situation so we managed to get in and out without meeting a soul, which seemed a bit odd, but then again it was Christmas Eve so I am happy to push that aside. Other than that, a great cottage and very good price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here as part of a large group on a winter weekend for a Hen Party, and was completely dissatisfied with Murton Grange. For a number of reasons, but primarily down to a lack of heating when we arrived at the property on Friday, an issue which persisted.

Things go wrong, I can understand this, but the way of dealing with it is what makes or breaks an experience.

Initially the on-sight manager bled the radiators and did various things to get the heating working. When this wasn't having any effect, we rang one of the contacts in the information - for them to ignore my call and immediately phone back the on-sight manager. Making all of us feel slightly like some sort of issue was known about or expected.

Whilst someone did come over after this and after we insisted, all they did was switch all the radiators on - which is something that I would have expected to have been done before we arrived. Especially if you know you have a system where this is required for it to work - which was the (rather odd) explanation given.

The contacts given in the information mostly had their phones off, and the on-site manager disappeared after a certain point - we went over when the heating still wasn't working at 9pm, and whilst the lights and TV were on, no amount of knocking caught his, or anyone's, attention.

When we did manage to get through to someone else on the phone eventually, I was fobbed off. After insisting, I was told that something would be done - nothing was, and all contacts remained unobtainable. And we were left with an un-heated house in the middle of February.

There were a number of storage/plug in heaters - though a completely inadequate number to heat all the rooms - which suggests this is an ongoing problem in this particular house, though this was not something that was stated by anyone involved with the property.

I have no idea what the problem was, after all, I am not a plumber, but it did kick in at 3/4 in the morning. And whilst a plumber did come round on the Saturday evening - a day into our two day stay - this day's delay is simply not good enough. Nor was there really any acceptable form of apology - merely a feeling of being repeatedly fobbed off.

We were staying for two days. I did not have any inclination to spend one of the two evenings I had with my friends, on the phone trying to sort out any issue, let alone something as fundamental as heating. Like I say, things go wrong, but dealing with it in this manner made this far worse, and affected everyone's enjoyment of the weekend. Nobody wants to be sat in a freezing cold house, and nor did any one of us want to spend our time chasing our tails on this.

There were other things too - one of the showers didn't work properly, the grill on the oven didn't work at all, one of the curtain rails is broken and falls off if you try to pull the curtains shut, and the kitchen is hopelessly ill-equipped for cooking for large parties - a single large saucepan, and only 1 large frying pan - how anyone could cook anything that required use of the hob for more than 5/6 people I don't know.

There was also damp in the downstairs rooms, and an eyesore of a swimming pool that contained filthy water, lots of debris and was barricaded off - not the ideal first sight to be greeted by.

On the plus side, there is plenty of parking, and a remote location which makes it perfect for large groups. If you do stay here and wanted to go into town, taxis can get a bit confused finding you, so make sure you know how to direct.

For any price, I consider the experience and quality/level of facilities totally unacceptable - as a base minimum, I expect to be warm, and able to use the facilities advertised. But for over £1000 for 2 nights, I had expected far far better than this.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Lee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We had my hen night here had a cottage and farmhouse. Both good quality and very spacious. Lovely and warm . Definitely would return. Taxi into york was very reasonable. Can book for a single night which is good.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I booked three of the cottages and two hot tubs for a hen party weekend. It was perfect we had our own private area with the hot tubs and the cottages were lovely, very well equipped. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Holiday Inn Express York
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
BEST WESTERN York Pavilion Hotel
Orillia House and Cottages
Orillia House and Cottages
#1 of 2 in Stockton on the Forest
Staycity Aparthotels Paragon Street

Been to Murton Grange? Share your experiences!