“Great 2 night stay at The Brentwood Guest House”

Brentwood Guest House
Ranked #52 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Heysham
“Great 2 night stay at The Brentwood Guest House”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently visited York with my other half for a few days break. We didn't book until quite the last minute so we were lucky to find this little gem of a place.

two nights cost us £165 which in York terms is about average price wise if you include breakfast and parking, and I've paid a lot more for places not half as nice in the past. We were in room 1 which was great, plenty of space, immaculately clean with a great shower and a comfy bed.

When we arrived we were greeted by Natalie who very kindly gave us a parking permit and we then left our car and walked then ten mins or so stroll into town via Boothamgate. Nice easy walk and I managed it in heels so it cant be bad!

Breakfast was delicious, varied and fresh and a lovely pot of tea and the owners we spoke to were very pleasant and helpful.

My only tiny criticisms (and they are really picky!), are that I'm not the earliest of risers normally...and although it was good to get up and get off sightseeing, breakfast is only served between 0800-0900, which is a bit too early for me :/ I would have much preferred to have another half an hour sleep and eaten about 09.30-1000....but thats a personal preference I guess...The only other tiny issue is that on our second night it was raining quite a bit and in room 1 the only window opens into a lean too conservatory....so it was VERY noisy and I'm a light sleeper sadly. It would be really helpful for the owners to unlock the window so that guests can close it to keep the noise down.

as I said these are two tiny points in an otherwise fantastic stay. I have already recommended the Brentwood to my parents who are avid fans of york and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mercynet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were due to stay here at the beginning of April, however due to a family member being taken into hospital, we had to change our holiday. I spoke to Natalie on the phone and she was great, so helpful and let us change our dates.

We arrived after a long drive down from Edinburgh and were given a free parking permit and got a space right outside the door. We went upstairs to our room and although people on here are right when they say the room is small, do you really go on holiday to spend all your time in the hotel room? The main thing is that the room is fresh and clean and it certainly was. Very modern decor and the room was spotless. The bathroom was also nice and clean, for me these are the things that matter!

We had breakfast on both sat and sun. There was so much to choose from, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juices, tea, coffee, toast and cooked breakfast items. All made to order and served fresh.

The guest house is a 10min walk from the main centre which is not a problem at all. I've never been to York before and I had a great holiday.

I had a great stay and would certainly recommend this guesthouse to my friends who are going to York in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Lovely guesthouse 10 minutes walk from the city centre and also the railway station.

Clean, very nicely decorated room with small but modern bathroom. Amazing full English breakfast included. Friendly staff. Ideal location. Some noise from rooms around us such as footsteps upstairs but this did not affect our sleep quality. Breakfast time was quite early for us when on holiday (8-9) but not a big problem.

We would highly recommend, and will stay again if in the area!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I couldn't recommend Brentwood Guesthouse more. There were three of us staying in two rooms. Each was beautifully furnished, stocked with everything you would need, and the breakfast was excellent.

The location was about 10 minutes from the city centre along a main road, safe and easy to find at night. There is a short-cut nearby to the station.

If we ever come back to York - we hope there will be vacancies in the Brentwood!!! Thank you Natalie & co.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Despite late arrival due to cloudburst en route, I was warmly welcomed.

My room was spotlessly clean, quiet, comfortable and very well appointed. It was fine for me, a solo traveller, but were it let to a couple it could be quite cramped; the double bed dominates the room. I assume it is only ever let as a single, though.

Breakfast was excellent - a very wide choice of well presented and well cooked, tasty food.

Location is great, only ten minutes on foot to the city centre with all its attractions and facilities. Ample parking near the property on this otherwise residents-only street, via a free parking permit given to you at check-in and renewed daily at breakfast.

Finally, sleep quality always a bit of a worry in a house-to-B&B conversion rather than a purpose-built modern hotel. Not in this case though. Very effective double glazing and, I suppose, some sort of between-room soundproofing made for two nights' contented sleeping.

Didn't see all I wanted of York in my two days, so I'll be back later this year and will definitely try The Brentwood first, hoping they have a room free for me.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 if you're a couple.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I spent a while looking for a good priced option in York. This came out as the best and as a B&B was an excellent choice.
All communication with them was excellent including email and telephone .

The room wasn't huge but it was very clean, well presented and had its own toilet and shower.

Breakfast was great and the ladies that spoke with us were very friendly.

An easy walk in to the City from here with the added bonus of free parking which was a big issue with other options.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shropshire
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Received comprehensive confirmatory email from the owners with all the info required. Needed to confirm arrival time which wasn't a problem. Warm welcome from hosts as soon as we arrived. Location is only a 10 minute walk down Bootham to the city walls and another 2 minutes to York Minster. Parking was on the road outside with the hosts providing you with a free parking permit. Free wifi was good and download speed was excellent. Cooked breakfast in the morning was very tasty.

We stayed in Room 1 which was on the ground floor (not an issue) but the window opened to reveal the laundry room. There was no fresh air from the outside to circulate around the bedroom as the laundry room was enclosed (converted back yard perhaps?). The aroma was one of washing machine detergent and conditioner, which may be an issue during the warm summer months. That said, for one night it wasn't a major issue

Room Tip: Avoid Room 1 if you want fresh air when you open the bedroom window.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple